[This takes place a week or so before Nafsi's challenge to the Stormborn.]
User Image
User Image
User Image

In the end, it had failed. Nafsi sighed, shaking her head. If only she'd still had her wings, and not given them up for mortality...But she had given them up. Long ago, before her trio were born. The lioness paused in her journey, looking up to the bright sky. Her tail twitched behind her, anxious...And then she roared. She'd finally found one of the places she'd kept returning to, the one that would let her dwell with them! The other place, she could not touch, could not go to because of her coloring. She growled and looked back to the ground, swiping at the earth beneath her. DAMN IT ALL!

Her roar hadn't gone unheard. Kich's ears pricked when he heard it. And his mind registered the sound, a sound he knew well in his childhood. And there was an almost cub-like smile on his muzzle at the recognition. “Mikā. Mikā! I know that voice! Come on!” And he took off for the source, leaving his friend to decide if she was coming or not. HE KNEW THAT VOICE! Knew it like the back of his paw!

Mikā startled at the roar, claws going out and hackles raising as she tensed. And then Kich got excited. What? The ashen lioness frowned and followed after him, to make sure he didn't get himself into trouble. What in the hell had gotten into him? Kich NEVER acted like this! Never! He had his head on as straight as her!

Nafsi-kataa scented company on the air. Bi-colored eyes narrowed, and she took a stance that would give her the edge if a fight started. Until she realized she KNEW one of the scents. It was a little changed, with the scent of sun and sand mixed in, but...she knew that scent. She relaxed her stance, and grinned, calling out. “KICH!” All frustrations were forgotten. She scented her baby boy! Her son! She could deal with not having a pride for the moment if it meant being around her son!

Kich heard Mikā's paws behind him, but...he wasn't focused on that. He was focused on the figure coming into view, that called out his name. He halted a lion-length in front of the female, blue eyes wide as he tried to catch his breath. And he still smiled like a cub. “Mother...” It was really her. Looking more...regal than before, with accessories he didn't remember, but...it was her. It was his mother, his world for the first half of his life. “I missed you, Mother.”

Mikā caught up with her friend, trying to catch her breath and...looking between the two, a brow raised. She definitely saw a resemblance between the two. Family, certainly. She caught the second bit Kich said. Ooooooh. So this was Kich's mother! She could certainly see it. Mikā calmed and nodded to the other female, not saying a word yet. She'd wait until the two of them had said their pieces to one another.

Nafsi looked her son over, seeing the signs of someone who had settled into a place they'd been happy with...and smiled brightly at him. “I missed you too. Seems you found a home, though.” She moved forward to close the space between them, and licked his ear. “You look well, Kich. How well have you been? And what brings you around here?”

Kich purred happily, then nodded. “I did. In the desert I was born on the edges of. I've...been well enough, really. I had a mate for a time, and we had a cub. But...we drifted apart. We're still friends, though.” Even though he missed being with Zii, the loss wasn't so much anymore. And they had raised a beautiful, strong daughter between them. “I'm out now because...things are happening within my pride that...we need allies and resources. And my friend and I decided to take this chance to not only help the pride...but to find family we haven't seen in a long time...” He motioned to Mikā.

The ashen lioness nodded to Nafsi, a slight smile on her face. “A pleasure to meet you, ma'am. Kich has spoken of you before, all good things.” The female meant a lot to her friend. She couldn't help but be happy that they'd found her, and that he'd get some closure.

Nafsi gave her son a sympathetic smile. She understood all about mates drifting away. By the way he talked, at least she didn't have to worry about the friend he motioned to being said former mate. “A pleasure to meet you as well, young one. And what is your name?” She was a pretty thing, strong and with a most intriguing coat. And if her son's words of a 'desert pride' were any indication...she knew exactly where they had settled.

Kich chuckled and moved to stand next to Mikā, glad to introduce the two to one another. “Mother, this is Mikā'īl. Mikā, this is my mother, Nafsi-kataa.” At least they seemed to get along. So far. Then again, he didn't remember his mother being hard to get along with generally.

Mikā nodded. “What Kich said. Though Mikā is perfectly fine. Out of curiosity...might you have run across a pair of sisters, one colored like sunset, the other like twilight?” She wished so greatly to see her mothers again. To know they were doing well in the world, even though they would not be able to join her in the Firekin.

Mikā...that sounded perfectly fine to her. A good name. Though...it sounded like she had to disappoint the poor girl. “I'm afraid not. I'm sorry.” Poor thing...her family perhaps? A mother and aunt, or sisters of hers? “I wish I could be of more aid than that.” Nafsi gave her an apologetic smile.

Ah...Kich sighed. It seemed another dead end for Mikā. Ah well...they'd find her mothers one day. And that would be a wonderful reunion. He leaned over to lick Mikā's ear, in a move of comfort. “Thank you for thinking about it, Mother.” He knew she must feel guilty she couldn't help more. That's how his mother was at times.

She nodded, heart dropping a bit, but...well, she'd expected the answer she got. That was her luck. “It's alright, ma'am. Thank you, though.” Mikā smiled slightly again. “We'll just keep looking.” Oh! Best to warn her! “You may want to avoid north of the desert the Firekin reside in. Something...is happening there, and it is not pleasant. I wouldn't want to see a friend's mother caught up in that fiasco.”

Nafsi raised a brow at her son. Oh-ho! It seemed a friendship was developing into more! Good. He could use a good girl. Keep his head in line. She frowned at Mikā's news, however. “Something's going on up north? Huh...Thank you for the warning. I will keep it in mind.” She hoped it wasn't anything like what tore the Arba apart. The Arba...her poor once-charges...She would miss that pride dearly. But...the loss didn't hurt as much now. She had found her son once more. “So...I'm guessing, by the way you two are talking, you have found a home in the Firekin? If so...they are a good lot. I am glad you two are among their numbers now.” They needed more rogue blood, that pride. It was too beautiful and strong to die out.

Kich nodded. “Yes. War may be brewing...There's even been refugees from another pride north of us.” The poor Hongshan...they'd lost their home. He hoped they could get it back. “And yes, it is the Firekin we've found a home in. They've been accepting more and more rogues into their numbers, provided they are of proper coloring and prove their strength in a duel.” He and Mikā had both proved themselves. “I am a Guard, thanks to your training, Mother.”

Mikā nodded. “Thank you for heeding the warning.” It was a relief, really. “I'm a Cub Sitter, but through no lack of strength.” She smirked. “I pity the creature stupid enough to go after a cub under my watch.” She simply...loved cubs. And helping raise them, and raise them RIGHT. After all this...she would go back to helping raise the little ones.

Nafsi felt a swell of pride in her son. Because of her training. Ah...“I am glad you have found your place, Kich. It's...why I left you when I did. You needed to find your own way.” And he'd found it splendidly. “I am proud of you, Kich.” She looked to Mikā. “And I do not doubt you're just as strong as Kich, if not more so. Takes a strong heart and sturdy body to raise little ones well.”

There it was. Why his mother had left him. And...he wasn't angry. He knew why she'd done it. And understood. “Thank you Mother.” Her words...meant a great deal to him. Probably more than she'd ever know.

Mikā chuckled and grinned. “Thanks. I have kicked his butt a couple of times.” Practice bouts, to stay in shape while they traveled. “You're welcome to join us for our next meal.” Whether Kich agreed or not.

Nafsi felt light-hearted and nodded. “You're welcome. Both of you. And I think I shall join you. I won't be around too long, though. You two have work to do...and I have a renewed fire.” She would find another place to belong. One where her fire was needed.