[Takes place during cubhood]
Kaida - Das Tor
&
Crepusculum - [ Hey You! ]

Mercurius was gone. And it was all her fault. Kaida lay in the family den, curled in a little ball of fluff in a corner. Her brother was gone because she'd decided to sneak out in the middle of the night. Her father had tried to console her, tried to nudge her out of the den...but she hadn't left in three days, her guilt was that great. How could everyone not blame her?! Why were they all still NICE?! It was her fault, and no one BLAMED her. At all. Not even her siblings. Not even Vayaete. The dark little cub made a pathetic mewling sound, confused and sad and guilt-filled.

Cre hadn't seen Kaida since Mercurius had been snatched. And...it worried him. What was wrong with his new friend?! Had she been stolen away too?! He'd gone to her family's den, ears back and head down, tail between his legs. Kaida's father had raised a brow...but then he'd promptly picked him up and dropped him in the depths of the den and walked out. Cre squeaked, looking around frantically before he spotted a familiar tuft of blonde fur. Oh! There was Kaida! He moved over to her, and nudged her leg. “Kaida...are you okay?”

Kaida startled as she felt someone nose her, fur standing on end and bright blue eyes looking to the source. O-oh. It was Cre. She calmed herself, drooping down again and ears going back. “Hi Cre. No I'm not. It's my fault Merc is gone, and no one's MAD AT ME. Why aren't they mad?” They had every right to be! And yet...they weren't. It confused her. So much.

Cre blinked. She blamed herself? He frowned and sat down rather exaggeratedly. “No one could have expected the mean lady.” He reached a paw out to bat at her. “Things happen, and...you're not the one who took your brother. The mean lady did. So blame her. Not yourself.” He snorted. “I wanna kick the mean lady's butt, for taking him and making you so sad...” She didn't look right sad. She was supposed to be bright and happy! The one that helped him be less afraid and helped him stand tall! Like his Daddy! She was supposed to smile and play games with him! “Come outside with me? Please?” Maybe the sunshine would do her good! It always made him feel better...

What? Kaida stared at Cre oddly. “But...if I hadn't snuck out...” Why was he insisting it wasn't her fault? If she hadn't snuck out, the mean lady wouldn't have taken Merc, and they wouldn't be having this conversation! “You're too small to kick her butt, Cre. We both are...” She sighed and pushed herself to a sitting position. “And she's fast, too. You saw that Daddy couldn't catch her.” The cub tilted her head to one side, frowning at Cre's request. Outside? But...it was so cheerful out there! She didn't deserve that. But she didn't want to upset Cre...She sighed. “Fine. I'll come outside.” For him. This one time.

Cre perked. YES! He moved to nudge her out. “I know you'll be smiling again in no time! Smiles belong on your face, not frowns!” He grinned. “And if you hadn't snuck out, bad stuff still woulda happened. The grownups might not have known about the mean lady, and more of us mighta gotten snatched. Or she coulda hurt lots of creatures! I might've been taken, and no one would have been able to go looking for me, like your Daddy went looking for your brother.” He kept nudging her out, towards fresh air and sunlight. It would be good for her, she'd see! And then she'd smile again!

Kaida squeaked as she was nudged out, frowning further. “I said I'll come outside! No need to push!” She sat her bum back down, refusing to budge while he pushed. No. Way. She could walk on her own! “You stop pushin', I'll move again.” Sure, she was being stubborn...but she was doing this on HER terms. Not anyone else's. Her tail twitched in annoyance, and her chin was raised. Hmph!

Cre made a noise of protest, then pouted. “Kaaaaiiiiiidaaaaaaa!” He sat next to her, still pouting and trying to look as pathetic as possible. “Come on! It's nice outside! And I'm not pushin' now...” He leaned against her, trying to will her to move with his mind. His friend needed OUTSIDE! Where is was bright and sunny! And warm! And full of life, like she was supposed to be!

Kaida raised a brow at him...then smiled just slightly and stood. “Alright.” And she moved towards the entrance of the den. Okay. She could do this. For him. She hoped. She still felt guilty, but...she didn't want to cause more worry. “Why'd you come check on me, Cre?”

Cre yelped as he fell over, Kaida's movement meaning he had nothing supporting him. At her question, he pulled himself up, and grinned. “Because you're my friend! And friends look out for each other, right?” He trotted over to her and nudged her shoulder. He wanted to look out for her.

Kaida looked surprised, then smiled at Cre and nodded. “Yeah. That's exactly what they do!” She nudged him back. “Thanks. For coming around.” And she licked his cheek before trotting out towards the sunlight. Maybe...she could help her Daddy look for Merc later. Yeah. That'd be good! And when they found Merc, she'd help make sure he stayed all safe and sound!

Cre perked, then laughed and followed after Kaida. “Always, Kaida. I'll always check on you, and always do what I can to make you happy.” She was his first friend, his beloved friend. Like a sister! And when they came out of the den, into the sunlight...he tagged her and ran off, knowing she'd follow. He'd make her happy! That way, she wouldn't cry or frown like that again.