Abin left the company of Bro’dee, excited by the news of his brother’s location. Before they parted ways, the cheetah made sure to let him know exactly where he had been seen last. Hopefully, in all the time since Bro’dee had encountered Angusho, the older lion had not found his son first. The male seemed to be heading in the right direction, which made the much younger lion worry. Abin knew his father was an evil being- he would not rest until he killed Jeraha.

And even though Abin had never met his half-brother, he would not let that happen. Family didn’t kill family. Angusho wouldn’t kill Jeraha, and Jeraha wouldn’t kill Angusho. Somehow, Abin would make sure of it.

There had to be a way to stop Angusho that didn’t lead to someone dying. So many had died already. Somehow, it all had to come to an end somehow. He just didn’t believe that could be obtained through murdering his father. Compassion had to play a part in the equation.

Hopefully.

The journey had taken a few days, but he finally managed to find the forest Bro’dee had said Jeraha lived in. It had become a matter of finding the lion himself. Which, as it turned out, was not that difficult. There was a massive lion standing by a cave, looking right into the bushes where Abin was hiding. Had he been spotted so soon? Was this lion really so sharp that he had seen him coming from a mile away? It wouldn’t surprise him. From what he could see of the lion, he was nothing but a mighty warrior. His body was covered in scars, just as Bro’dee had said, and it only made him look more impressive. What Bro’dee hadn’t mentioned, however, was just how big Jeraha would be. He seemed even larger than his father, who was a very scary lion in his own right. This beast… it was hard to tell who would win in a fight. Most lions didn’t stand a chance against Angusho, but this mighty lion? Maybe Abin had been wrong to worry.

“Are you going to come out from there,” snarled the massive lion, “or should I come in to meet you? I warn you- my claws are sharp and I tend to cut into lions while sifting through brush.” He did not sound like he was trying to be funny- it was a very real threat. So Abin ventured into the open, showing his brother no fear.

“You do not have to be worried about me- I’m a friend.”

“I haven’t seen you before. What friend is a stranger?” Jeraha demanded.

“The kind related to you,” Abin offered in return, smiling faintly at his brother, “my name is Abin, and I’m your brother.” He sat himself down, not wanting to look even slightly threatening in front of this clearly tense lion. Even if he wanted to be friends and brothers, there was no saying Jeraha would want the same. In fact, the lion looked more annoyed now than ever.

“Don’t try to make a fool out of me,” he hissed, “my family was murdered in front of me- I have no brothers. No sisters. Nothing. Now tell me who you really are, or face your own mortality at my claw.”

“Please, I don’t want to fight you: you are my brother. My older brother. Your father, and mine, mated with another female years after you had been left to die. He abandoned us. I only just discovered my past. When I found out he had another litter before us, and one lived, I knew I had to find you. I had to help you.”

Still skeptic, Jeraha huffed. “Help me with what?” he asked.

“With Angusho: our father. He knows you’re alive, and he wants to change that. I don’t know what he hated so much about your litter, my brother, but he’s out for blood, and he’s killed anyone in his path looking for you. He almost killed me when I tried to stop him.”

Jeraha was quiet for a moment, contemplating. He didn’t know what to think of all the news he had been given, mostly still reeling from the news of a brother. This lion did look like him, and he did know the name of their father. His back story also sounded like something Angusho would do. So… he had a brother. Trippy.

“I know about Angusho, I have known for a while,” Jeraha said, “it is why I left my mate and family- I did not want to endanger them. I have been here, training, and waiting for him to come. If you found me, I imagine it will only be a matter of time before he comes, too.”

“I had help, which I don’t think Angusho will have, but you’re right. Eventually, he will come. I can’t believe you want him to! He is so strong… it’s frightening. But I am here, brother, and I will fight with you to stop him. There’s just… one thing I wish to ask you. I know it will be difficult, especially since you don’t really know me and I have no right to ask favors of you.”

“Just tell me what you want,” the lion said sharply, to which Abin nodded.

“Please, I ask you do not kill Angusho. We can cripple him- make it impossible for him to hurt another lion. He can take his life into his own hands at that point. If he wishes to die in battle, then he’ll take care of it himself. But I don’t want you to do it. We’re family… if we kill him… we won’t be any better than him. I know it’s a lot to ask of someone, someone I only just met, but I just… I can’t see someone else go down that path of darkness.” He watched his brother, he looked impassive as he formed a response.

“I have killed,” he informed the other, “and not just prey. I have killed many in my time. But… you’re right. Killing him would only make me like him. Maybe… there is a way to stop him without ending his life. As long as he is stopped. But I will ask something of you in return.”

“Anything.”

Jeraha took a breath, “Don’t get involved in the fight- let me fight him alone.”