Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Prettiest languages? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm
This is purely opinion based, but what is/are the prettiest language(s) in your opinion?

I'd have to say that Japanese, European Portuguese, Castilian Spanish and Catalan rank top for me. I also think Welsh sounds lovely.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:39 am
I'd agree with Japanese ^^
I also enjoy Ukrainian, Parisian Dialect of French (smoother than Quebecois), Urdu, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

The language I grew up with is rather.... harsh. Lots of as I say hissing and choking sounds ;;

Okier - chan

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:05 pm
Okier - chan
I also enjoy Ukrainian, Parisian Dialect of French (smoother than Quebecois), Urdu, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

The language I grew up with is rather.... harsh. Lots of as I say hissing and choking sounds ;;

What language?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm
The_Brightest_Moon
Okier - chan

What language?

Nisga'a. http://www.firstvoices.com/en/Nisgaa <- has some voice clips.
You'll understand what I mean about it being a little harsh.
The accents are hard to get if you're new at learning it. I have an advantage
with that because my granny used to refuse to to talk to me in English ;;

Okier - chan

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:01 pm
My favorites would have to be Japanese and Russian. I think Russian singing sounds beautiful.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm
I think they're all pretty in one way or another. I haven't yet studied a language that I didn't think was pretty in some fashion. As for choosing one as the "prettiest," well that's a fool's endeavor!
I see that most have taken the word "prettiest" to mean "prettiest sounding" language. I see languages for a lot more than just their sounds. Everything about a language from its grammar even down to the way words are often spelled contributes to its overall beauty. Even English is pretty, in my eyes!

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

CambriaCate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:42 pm
I like Korean -- it's a good language to be cute or indignant in. Russian and German can also be really pretty, despite popular American opinion. razz  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:05 pm
Omg I love Korean. I love how it always sounds what you mean. If you're threatening someone, it sounds like you're threatening someone. If you say you love someone, it sounds like you're saying you love someone. It's one of those languages you don't need to understand to get the context of what's going on.  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 am
Although I'm still focusing on Italian, I really like "Irish Gaelic". A song by Celtic Woman was sung in this language, and I love it. <3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:33 pm
I like the way German sounds. There are some that are pretty, depending on the speaker, like Japanese.  

buggsie blue

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Master Huntress Munashii
Although I'm still focusing on Italian, I really like "Irish Gaelic". A song by Celtic Woman was sung in this language, and I love it. <3

Yes yes yes yes yes!

They're the ones who made fall in love with the language in the first place. >w<

btw, they have a couple of songs in that language, not just one. wink

I also think Japanese, Korean, Swedish, and Norwegian sound pretty  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Sakura Parfait
Master Huntress Munashii

Yes yes yes yes yes!

They're the ones who made fall in love with the language in the first place. >w<

Really? Sweet! I wasn't aware of that! XD

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 pm
Master Huntress Munashii
Sakura Parfait
Master Huntress Munashii

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Really? Sweet! I wasn't aware of that! XD

Yep. c:

There's Siúil A Rúin, Sí Do Mhaimeó Í, Harry's Game, Don Oíche Úd I mBeithil (this is a Christmas song), Dúlaman, Mo Ghile Mear, Níl Sé'n Lá, Suantrai, and Téir Abhaile Riú.

One of their past members, Meav Ní Mhaolchatha, has her own solo albums that are mostly in Irish Gaelic, too. c:

I'm a big fan of them. xD  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:12 pm
Sakura Parfait

Ohmaigawsh. I have to look those up when I get the chance - the only one I've heard is Dúlaman. xD

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

Eretlen

Dangerous Sophomore

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:28 am
buggsie blue
I like the way German sounds. There are some that are pretty, depending on the speaker, like Japanese.

Yeah, I agree with you. And also some dialects/regional accents sound better than the other.

French generally sounds pretty. In some accents. I don't remember what it's called, but near the border of Italy, they pronounce their French more Italian-like, saying things like the c's (the k sound) like the English "ch." I didn't really like the sound of it, BUT it wasn't by someone with a "pretty" voice, either.

And in English, I really like the Philadelphia accent and some New York accents . I usually just generalize it to "east coast" accents. (I'm from the west coast and speak "Standard" English or whatever.)  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff