FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I play?
First, you should know that this is a play-by-post RPG.
In order to play, you must first create a character. For more details regarding this, take a look at the Character Description page. When your character is completed and approved, you may then look for a story to join and start playing.

What is a play-by-post RPG?

A play-by-post RPG is a roleplaying game that is conducted on a message board. In such games, you play by posting your character's actions and reactions on the message board.

Does this RPG take place in Middle Earth?

No, this RPG is set in the world of Caltharia, and is unique to it. The world is still in development and if you are interested in helping to further flesh out the world, contact the guild captain Hey Jood.

I’m not approved yet, can I still roleplay?
No. Being approved means that your character does not contradict the world the RPG takes place in. So it is a must to be approved before you can start to play in stories.

How do I make a character?
You will need to write up a Character Description (CD), and post it in the Character Description forum. The Character Description Moderators will then check the character to make sure it is not overpowered and fits into the world of Caltharia. If no problems are found you will be given approval after which you may begin to play. For more details regarding character creation, please refer to the Character Description page.

Is it absolutely necessary to post a Character Description?

Yes. The Character Description Moderators need to check the Character Description for mistakes and to make sure that it fits into Caltharia and is not overpowered. Character Descriptions also serve as references for other players, so they know what the character they are interacting with is like. Also, you cannot just pop out from nowhere and join a story. Moderators will delete any posts in roleplaying threads from people that have not been titled and tried to roleplay anyway.

How long does it take to get titled/approved?

It varies. In general the better your CD is, the faster it will get approved. But if your Character Description has major problems that need to be fixed it might take a little longer. Approvals are not first come first serve; characters that were posted after yours may be approved first if nothing is found to be wrong with them or if the problems are fixed more quickly. Also remember that the Moderators have lives too, so it might take a while for them to get to you. Please be considerate.

What sort posts are inappropriate?
Anything that may be considered obscene or offensive is inappropriate here, and this includes excessive swearing. A bit of leeway may be given in roleplaying posts, but one should still keep things tasteful. Also, absolutely no advertisements are allowed.

Excessive use of emoticons is often considered annoying as well. Please do not make posts filled with long strings of emoticons.

How do I get into a story?
First, you should make sure that the story you are interested in joining is accepting players. If it is, you should then ask the story's Moderator/Creator for permission to join. How to do that varies. Some stories specify a place to post joining requests in; for those that do not you should contact the Creator or their appointed moderators directly through PM. It is then up to the Moderator to decide whether you are allowed to join the story or not.

Can I create my own story? How do I create my own story?
You may create your own story, but usually not right after you are approved. To do so, you should first post a proposal in the Story Creation forum with a basic plot outline. If the plot seems sound and enough people express interest in joining the story, you should then send a more detailed plot outline to the Captain or Vice Captains, which should include all major plot points, even the 'secret' ones that you do not wish to share with the players. This is so that the Captains can make sure that everything fits with the world of Caltharia. After the Captains have approved of the story, they will create a story forum for it. You may then begin to set up your story.

For more details regarding story creation, please refer to the Story Creation page.

Can I kill another player's character?
No. The exception is if you have the player's permission to do so. In all other cases, you may not kill another player's character.

Can I kill any Non-Playing Character (NPC) that I feel like killing?
No. Some NPCs are essential to the story, and killing them will disrupt it. If you wish to kill an NPC, make sure you ask the Story Creator whether you could do it first. Killing NPCs without the Creator's permission is not allowed.

My post or part of my post was deleted. What happened?
Posts are not normally modified or deleted without a good reason. This might be because it was inappropriate, or had broken some other rule.

Can I have more than one character? Can I have more than one character in a story at the same time? Can my character be in more than one story at a time?

Yes, you may have more than one character.

A character can be in more than one story at a time, provided stories are not set in the same time. As for having more than one character in the same story, that is up to the story's Creator to decide. In both cases, you should make sure you are able to manage playing all the characters. There is no point in getting multiple characters actively involved in stories if you only have time to properly play one.