Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
Internet Browsers: Which is better?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll shroomie ll

Lonely Werewolf

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm
Chrome doesn't work well for me, so I'm going to leave that one out.

I'm debating on downloading Opera. Currently I'm using Mozilla Firefox. Need some help deciding.
Which one do you think is better, and why?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:16 pm
Do you know why Chrome isn't working for you? Do you have any troubles working with Firefox? I've not used Opera before, so by default I'd say Firefox, although I use both Firefox and Chrome at the same time.  

Althena The Goddess

Shameless Noob

9,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

ll shroomie ll

Lonely Werewolf

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm
Althena The Goddess
Do you know why Chrome isn't working for you? Do you have any troubles working with Firefox? I've not used Opera before, so by default I'd say Firefox, although I use both Firefox and Chrome at the same time.
Sometimes Chrome works it's just that it always asks to kill the pages because they aren't working, though it works just fine on Firefox. I may uninstall Chrome and just use Firefox and Opera.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:21 pm
ll shroomie ll
Althena The Goddess
Sometimes Chrome works it's just that it always asks to kill the pages because they aren't working, though it works just fine on Firefox. I may uninstall Chrome and just use Firefox and Opera.

Do you leave Chrome open for hours at a time? One huge flaw with Chrome is its a big old memory hog. I had that trouble until I started using CCleaner on start up, along with closing the browser out when I afk'd. Firefox does the same thing, but hides it better.  

Althena The Goddess

Shameless Noob

9,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ned-san

Friendly Phantom

7,550 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:12 pm
Firefox is the one I get along with... but I'm rather biased as I've been using it since its first beta release before it got popular.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm
i'll say chrome. it crashes and asks you to kill pages many times but it's still one of the fastest browsers available. after that i'll recommend firefox  

ree turn

Vicious Warlord

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:17 pm
User Image

User ImageI've been a fan of Firefox ever since I started using it ... five years ago, maybe? Probably even longer than that, actually.

For me, it loads things faster, looks sleeker, and allows you to download the nifty Tektek toolbar, which allows you to access all of your favorite places on Gaia quickly and saves your posting formats for you. I've used Chrome before, and while I like it too, I prefer Firefox, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:24 am
I was using safari before I started using Firefox.
The main reason I switched was because of the toolbar
option on Firefox. I could get the Tektek toolbar and Adblock.
;D  

furtive cherry

Doting Lovergirl

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:05 am
User Image
I use both Chrome and Firefox but the only reason I use Firefox more often is because the BetterGaia add-on has the option to not change the way the regular forums look o_e"

They never act slow, but I do have to use CCleaner more often because of Firefox.
I've only used Opera once, on my super-old dinosaur laptop. I didn't like it that much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:31 pm
I've spoken to numerous people regarding browsers and their performance. The general consensus is that Chromium based browsers (most notably Comodo Dragon) perform best under average circumstances. In terms of flash rendering, Chromium browsers do best by far cold. After Opera caches all the data it needs to provide a smooth stream though, it does just as well if not slightly better than Chromium browsers in terms of flash rendering (although because all the data is cached, after you close, say a youtube video, the audio will continue playing as if the video tab was still open. A minor flaw but can be annoying at times.) Firefox has been suffering from some major stability issues lately (I stopped using it after v10) and constantly hangs and crashes especially if you knock off the plugin-container.exe resource hog that FF implemented in v9(?).

I personally prefer Opera because it offers so many tools and options that allow you to do so many things with just the vanilla version. Opera Dragonfly puts Firebug to shame. Stackable tabs make organization and multitasking much easier. Opera speed dial makes bookmarks almost obsolete. Opera's IRC and bittorrent client makes using both significantly easier for the less experienced users. It does suffer from compatibility issues with lower budget sites though and the amount of data that it needs to cache before it starts running smoothly can be a huge annoyance when trying to run flash instances (go clear your cache and try to play a full dolphin booty grab tank first thing. It will lag HARD.) But it just brings so much to the table that the other browsers don't have that, despite its shortcomings in popularity, I prefer it to the other mainstream browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.

A list of browsers I've used in the past:
Internet Explorer (all versions from 9.0+)
Mozilla Firefox (starting at v1.5)
Flock
Seamonkey
Google Chrome (uninstalled after about 30 minutes of usage)
SRWare Iron
Comodo Dragon
Rockmelt
Opera
Maxthon  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Designer Hobo Style

Distinct Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:45 pm
Could be crashing because of javascript or something. If that's the case, I'd download scriptno! because personally I like chrome the best. It's very streamlined and simple.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 pm
I usually use firefox, but my brother loves Crome  

kanxiaru

Hunter

koromyst

Illuminated Star

19,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 am
User Image Opera fan here emotion_awesome

Probably because of its sleek look, easy dial-ups, stackable tabs and it doesn't crash as much. I use Opera heavily for my browsing needs.

Next in line would be Firefox. Mostly because I had BetterGaia so yeah... xD I use Firefox only when logging into Gaia (like right now).

Chrome doesn't appeal much to me (TAT) I don't know why. Mine's laggy and crashes often even without extensions. emotion_eyebrow User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 am
It depends what computer I am using as to which browser I favor. On my personal desktop PC, I favor chrome and have never had any problems with it aside from stupid things that I have done on my own to break it. Firefox has some issues on this PC, though I favor it on my laptop because it works better there.

I have used Opera, and my experience with it was terrible- it was a miracle if I could get it to load more than 3 pages before it completely locked up, so I didn't keep it long.

I have used IE, but mostly just to download Chrome or Firefox. I'm not a fan of IE.  

Daypaw

Hardened Member

Zar of Vulcan

Revered Visionary

13,900 Points
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:27 am
Firefox. I've been using it a long time and usually have no problems with it.  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games