"It feels good to be home." Ruia called out to his companion, stretching leisurely as he took in his surroundings. He'd dreamed of an adventure as a youth but home was home and there was no other place like it. He loved the dependability of the Kusini lands, how they seemed timeless and ageless and beautiful - as if frozen in time. He wondered, idly, whether anything had changed since he had been away. If it had, he hoped it was for the better. He'd have hated to have comre back to bad news, particularly after the joyful time he had had. And it had been wonderful. He'd made friends, visited foreign lands and even been to the ocean and back. The ocean...He thought of the lioness he had met there, with her curly fur and her sparkling eyes. She had been much like him, in a way. Eager for excitement but compelled to stay close to the lands that she loved. It was a big leap to take, to be sure. But it was one that he would never regret. He fancied that Uddhava, too, had had fun despite how nervous he normally was. "Do you think you'll be staying, Udd?"

"Um, well..." The golden lion shuffled awkwardly and then shook his head, uncertain. "If I'm welcome."

"Of course you are!" Ruia replied, "You are my friend and we've been on a long journey. I bet your paws could do with some rest, no?"

"They are tired." He replied after a moment, pausing to lift each one in turn.

"We can stop by the stream if you like." When he got no response he turned his head back to regard his friend. The golden lion had been strangely quiet these last few days. Quiet even for him. There was clearly something on his mind, he just wasn't sure what it was. The change had come over him suddenly. Perhaps, now that they were back, it was time to question him on it. "Uddhava..." He trailed momentarily before picking up his thread again. "Is something wrong? You've not been yourself these past few days. Did something happen?"

"Well no...not really...I just...it's fine." The golden lion was a hopeless liar and Ruia gave a short huff and whirled to face him, side-stepping to get in his way. For a moment the pair glared at one another and then the gold one relented, averting his gaze.

"What's wrong, buddy?"

"I met another like me. An outcast."

Ruia blinked.

"She was unhappy. She hadn't found a place to call home either but she told me...she told me there might be a place for me in the Pridelands."

"Pridelands? You mean Tizuka's homeland?"

"Yes." He admitted.

"So you'll be heading back there after resting up here? Why would you be so sullen about that?"

"I thought perhaps you might want me to stay. I just...this place doesn't feel right to me. I'm sorry."

"My parents probably didn't help with that. Or my mother, at least." Ruia acknowledged with understanding. "But there's no reason to be sorry. You have to do what is right for you. Besides, the prides are basically neighbours and I don't intend to keep myself cooped up in these lands every day. I fully intend to go out again so I'll get chances to visit." He flicked the mane out of his eyes. "But enough about that. Let's get to the water and then we can find a den for you to stay in whilst you're here. Don't worry, we'll make sure it's some way away from my family's den."

"Thank you, Ru."

The pair crossed the open stretch of land, enjoying the springy feel of the grass beneath their feet. Just ahead a gathering of trees tempted them with shade and beneath them, at the roots, curled a shallow stream that burbled delightfully. As they approached, they realised - quite quickly - that they were not alone. A pale lioness was there and she was unmistakable. The boys traded glances and Ruia asked: "Shall we...?"

Uddhava looked ready to agree to his suggestion to leave, but the pale lioness looked up and saw them.

"Ru?" She asked, startled. She turned slowly to look and, face on, they could see that her belly was swollen.

"Mother?" Ruia, steeling himself, trotted forwards to greet her, stretching out his neck to butt his forehead against hers. "Are you well?"

"You're back?" She asked, seeming not to have heard him. "You're back." And she leaned forwards, pressing her face into his mane and breathing in. For a moment he stood there, silent, waiting for her to say something else. She seemed not to have noticed the gold lion with him or perhaps she had chosen to ignore him. "You were missed. So missed. I was worried that..." She paused then and seemed to gain control of herself.

"Mother, you...are you pregnant?"

The female nodded hastily. "Yes, yes. You're to be a big brother."

"That's wonderful news! I can't believe it! Something did change whilst I was gone."

to be continued...