DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Come here to discuss the Vampire Counts of fantasy base Warhammer.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:31 am
The counts are okay, all fear causing units can be useful as well as unbreakable units, then again if you lose your general then the army can crumble.  

Traitor Jacknife

Seraphine-Exalted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:16 am
Traitor Jacknife
The counts are okay, all fear causing units can be useful as well as unbreakable units, then again if you lose your general then the army can crumble.

The counts are okay, all fear causing units can be useful as well as unbreakable units, then again if you lose your general then the army will crumble.

anyways general isnt suposed to die -.-''  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:27 am
Seraphine-Exalted
Traitor Jacknife

The counts are okay, all fear causing units can be useful as well as unbreakable units, then again if you lose your general then the army will crumble.

Yeah..or when he dies you've already lost the game anyway...  

OfTheDark

Traitor Jacknife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:00 pm
Seraphine-Exalted
Traitor Jacknife

I didn't know for sure i thought there was a crumble test or something. also if you are using a blood dragon vamopire they are supposed to be for close combat so he might get killed even if used correctley.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:07 pm
Traitor Jacknife
Seraphine-Exalted
Traitor Jacknife

I didn't know for sure i thought there was a crumble test or something. also if you are using a blood dragon vamopire they are supposed to be for close combat so he might get killed even if used correctley.

well, those blood dragons wont die easily, but anyway: the test is a leadership test start of everyturn (ld 5 i think) the points it failed with is ammount of wounds, so just a matter of time before everything dies  

Seraphine-Exalted

OfTheDark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:14 pm
Seraphine-Exalted
Traitor Jacknife
Seraphine-Exalted
Traitor Jacknife

well, those blood dragons wont die easily, but anyway: the test is a leadership test start of everyturn (ld 5 i think) the points it failed with is ammount of wounds, so just a matter of time before everything dies

Not to mention the Zombies Ld of 2...
Though you can take the test with the LD of an accompanying Character so if you have some thralls left the untis they're with won't suffer as bad...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 pm
I see that makes sense  

Traitor Jacknife

Jerhien

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:18 pm
Yeah loosing your general can be a really harsh blow to the Vampire Counts army. After he dies every unit of his on the board makes a leadership test, for every point by wich they fail it they lose a wound (if any characters are in the unit they may use the characters leadership, however).
The Vampire Counts army is very powerful on the battlefield. bloodlines aside. Vampire counts (a lord choice) are the strongest characters in warhammer Fantasy, and a Blood Dragon Vampire Count Lord will beat the snot out of a Khorn Chaos lord in hand to hand any day.
The army doesn't appear to be powerful initially because many of there units don't have really good statistics...Take the humble zombie for instance, ws 2 str 3 t 3 i 1 6 points (if I remember correctly) maximum unit size 30 or 40 (again I can't remember).
The trick is that they are unbrakeable. They still suffer from loosing combat, but instead of running they take a wound for every point they lose combat by...but they're still there. A unit of 30 zombies getting hit by 5 Chaos knights will loose 8 wounds on the charge....but they still have 3 ranks and the outnumbering bonus so they only loose combat by 4, meaning that 4 more zombies die and the player has lost a total of 12 models...but they're staying put. remember that they cause fear.
And the really nasty thing is, necromancy (specail Vampire Counts magic) lets them summon more zombies or skeletons into units that already exist...enough so they can easily replace the numbers you've killed and even add more to the unit. Also remember the fear specail rules....if you EVER lose combat to a fear causing foe and they outnumber you you run automatically.
Not to mention wights...str 4 tough. 4 hvy armor shield sword Killing blow/ weapons count as magical for 12 points per model....that's what I like to call one badass unit.
Yeah, the undead are an awesome race and they have some very powerful advantages over a lot of the other armies in the game, but I suppose every army does! smile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:06 am
There seem to be a few VC generals around so I just thought I'd ask others about thier tactics.

Since I started playing VC I've never really gotten anything but characters to do any real killing. Everything else (even Grave Guard and Black Knights), without characters, just seems to end up a speedbump (which is okay for Zombies and Skellies). I like the characters plenty I just think I need to try to find way to be a little more effective without them.

Any Ideas?  

OfTheDark

Seraphine-Exalted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:08 am
OfTheDark
There seem to be a few VC generals around so I just thought I'd ask others about thier tactics.

Since I started playing VC I've never really gotten anything but characters to do any real killing. Everything else (even Grave Guard and Black Knights), without characters, just seems to end up a speedbump (which is okay for Zombies and Skellies). I like the characters plenty I just think I need to try to find way to be a little more effective without them.

Any Ideas?

blood dragons that good? can someone post their rules, cant see them beating up an WS10 S7 A8 khorn lord  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:28 pm
A blood dragon vampire lord has the following abilities

m-6 ws -10 s-5 t-5 w-4 I-8 a-5 ld-10
comes with full plat mail, a 4+ armor save. Also comes as a level 2 wizard ( can be made level three) and can cast spells while wearing armor (but they only generate 2 power dice)
They have to challenge every fight no matter what.
Blood dragon skills (wargear options) include the following
+1 attack
one model in base loses one attack
may re-roll any misses in the first round of every combat
killing blow
+1 str on the charge
enemy must take a leadership test or it can't accept the challenge and moves to the rear rank

That isn't including magic items. Blood Dragon Vampire counts are as frightening as bloodthirsters, and they can cast spells. yeeeeesh.
by the way if your enemy gets lucky and rolls hand of dust...

Hand of dust
7+
you may make only one attack this close combat phase. if it hits, the target of the attack is slain instantly regardless of any wounds, and with no recourse to a saving throw. the only save allowed is a ward save, and if failed the victim is dead dead dead.  

Jerhien

Sepoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:04 pm
I was thinking of picking this army up, but I wasn't sure which vampire clan to get. I was thinking of either Von Carstein or Blood Dragons. Can anyone tell me some of the advantages/disadvantages of either of those?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:12 pm
You can also summon and make a new unit. Which means you can have a unit flanking behind, and on the side, along with the unit in front outnumbering and ranked. Then the unit runs.

But a Blood Dragon can kill anything. I took one against whats-his-name. The big chaos special character. Supposed to be unbeatable. I killed him in one round of combat.  

Akujo

Jerhien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:56 pm
The von carstiens are your basic all around vampire counts, they have a balance of all the necromantic abilities and units. Blood dragons are essentially the khorne of the undead...close combat oriented vampires (some of the best melee characters in the game)...the playing styles vary greatly though.

As a Von Carstien you'll be using a large variety of undead, but you'll essentially be using one of the tried and true methods of vampire supremacy: Large units of zombies/skellies backed by more units of your chosen undead (I prefer the zombies....BRAINSSS!!!) and supported by necromancers and dire wolves. Of course there's more to it than that, but it's a general overview.
Von carstien characters have access to some really nifty powers, they can assume the shape of a dire wolf, summon bats and wolves onto the enemies flanks, and are in general your swiss army vampires.

As a blood dragon player you'll be part of a rich heritage of reluctant and heroic vampires. The blood dragons where not vampires by choice, it was forced upon them. There primarch (for lack of a better word and refusal to use primogen lol) quenched the thirst for blood by drinking the blood of a dragon, thus the name blood dragons.
Blood dragon armies tend to rely heavily on wights/black knights (If you play the blood dragon list out of the back of the book (accepted in tournaments) you can use the brettonian lance formation with your black knights! OW!!!) to do the grunt work. Wights are s-4 t-4 heavy armor shield and sword cause fear are unbrakeable, they're weapons are considered to be magical and have the killing blow special rule. They're nast mofo's at 12 points per model, or the mounted version (black knights) for 25 points per model (with barding).
Of course wights and black knights are available to voncarstiens as well, but the armies tend to differentiate between reliance on hordes of undead or heavy elite and cheap troops.

and oh yeah, look back at the log a little and you'll see what a blood dragon vampire lords stats and abilities are. (von carstiens are slightly weaker in close combat but much better at magic)

note-- wights = grave gaurd....sorry! lol

I actually play a necrarch list, the most powerful necromancers (I like magic heavy forces) and I'll honestly say that every undead list can work really well, so just play around with it a bit and you'll find something you like smile  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff