The Hordes of Chaos Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

El Lubricabre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm
I come to the internets seeking advice. 3nodding

Chaos Knights have the option for lances or those fancy magic sword wotsits. What do you guys think is more effective in the long run?

A str 6 charge, followed up by slugging it out later rounds with str 4?

Or always being str 5?

I'm trying to figure this out. I've been reading up on the book, and plan on doing a cavalry army. neutral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:34 am
I'd go for lances, cavalry units are supposed to be small and hard hitting and win the combat on the first round, I'll use an example from the O&G book, and that is Savage Orc Big 'Uns, they are a good example for one-round killer monsters, just a size of 6 are 24 attacks (25 if using a Boss).

6 Chaos Knights might miss out some of the stated attacks, but 6 chaos knights are more than enough, with a WS of 5, S of 6 and 2 attacks each (12 S 6 attacks that mostl likely will hit) and an addition of 6 attacks for the steeds.

Using Mathhammer it will end up in a brawl filled with blood and fleeing enemies, and making them Nurgle makes them a bit more survivable with -1 to hit, if it happens that the enemy survives and want to hit them back it sure gives them a hard time doing so.

Though a cavalry army is hard to use in Fantasy, since they're expensive, and all armies needs rank and file soldiers in blocks, but if you're doing it for fluff purposes then I say GO FOR IT! ;D

@ ColinMackay: You know that spearheads aren't meant to save up any money, right? They're there for people who wanna get minis before the big release, thus spearheads are limited in numbers.  

Shinobi_8745

Drachyench

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm
Shinobi_8745
6 Chaos Knights might miss out some of the stated attacks, but 6 chaos knights are more than enough, with a WS of 5, S of 6 and 2 attacks each (12 S 6 attacks that mostl likely will hit) and an addition of 6 attacks for the steeds.
Average of eight hits, six wounding hits [At -3, so even a Gromril Hand & Shield Dwarf unit would take four casualties]. I'd say though that this depends on the unit's toughness and armor. T3, light / no armor units [High Elf spearmen, for instance] are fine enough to attack with the magic blades. You'll be needing 3's and 2's anyways.

Quote:
Using Mathhammer it will end up in a brawl filled with blood and fleeing enemies, and making them Nurgle makes them a bit more survivable with -1 to hit, if it happens that the enemy survives and want to hit them back it sure gives them a hard time doing so.
Goblins and WS2 infantry will need 6's [even if passing fear], other units 5's. This could be very helpful, only other thing you could do to make this easier is Frenzy them up. This can be risky and a liability though.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 am
The thing is that no one sends their power-hit unit on an elite unit like Ironbreakers with all that 'ard stuff, it's far too dangerous, main units is the object for these guys, either as id for another unit or just smashing semi-big units apart (15-20 sized units).

Though I wouldn't rely on them or even use them against high elves since they'll strike first even if you charge them... -muttering about his hate against High Elves and why he never plays against them-  

Shinobi_8745

Drachyench

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm
Shinobi_8745
The thing is that no one sends their power-hit unit on an elite unit like Ironbreakers with all that 'ard stuff, it's far too dangerous, main units is the object for these guys, either as id for another unit or just smashing semi-big units apart (15-20 sized units).
Of course, I was using that as an example. I would never use Cavalry against any unit that I cannot be sure of getting at least four more kills against on the charge, unless [of course] flanking or attacking the rear.

Quote:
Though I wouldn't rely on them or even use them against high elves since they'll strike first even if you charge them... -muttering about his hate against High Elves and why he never plays against them-

Against HE they still have some use. In the above scenario we're speaking a 150mm frontage, or 9 attacking HE's each rank potentially. However, for simplicities [and common game unit sizes] sake, we'll put them at an 8x4 unit. 24 Attacks will (Against Nurglite Chaos Knights) secure eight hits, which in turn will secure 8/3 wounds, or 2.6. With your save of 2+, you should suffer no losses, but again for simplicities sake we'll say one due to poor rolling or the Elf getting lucky with wounds caused.

Five Knights back, eleven attacks. Seven hits on average, with roughly five slaying hits on average. Then the horses, who will on average get 2.5 [Or 2] hits, and 1.6 [or one] wound. Averages would put you at six kills to their one. Combat res, they have three ranks and an outnumbering against you [which, combined with their standard and wound, is a total of six points on their side]. You, meanwhile, will have caused six wounds and hold a standard. You would 'win' by one.

Of course, to make this fair we could likely assume this was the only one of three Chaos Knight units to reach combat. They don't have to fear the Infantry [especially if flanking] so much as those annoying Bolt Throwers.

Against shooty HE armies though, I will admit chaos is a bit FUBARed. Your basic infantry may be 'ard, but it can still only move 8" a turn and has only a 5+ save against the Repeating shots [of which they can potentially churn out 16 of each turn at 2K points], no save against the single-shot. But then one must consider all the bows, mages, etc.

So, summarizing: CQC Elves: Chaos do good. Shooty / Magic Elves: Chaos do bad.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 pm
I don't have the models just yet, but before i buy them i want to swing this marauder list by you ( note this is only a moddel count, no fine details just yet)

1 sorcerer lord
2 exaltd hero(s)
wulfrik the wanderer
60 marauders
10 marauder horsemen
3 trolls
1 giant
2 spawn
25 hounds

if you want to know the equipment i'll wite it upon request.  

Inenor

Herr Kaiser

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 am
charging my khorne army is like charging a meat grinder. twisted  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am
Yeah, Khornate warriors turning into fresh meat by my gobbos... ;D

True story, they're fierce!

But I've never been lucky with orcs against them... They're not sneaky or backstabby enough...  

Shinobi_8745

Herr Kaiser

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:21 pm
yeah, the one army i can never beat is undead, theyre too 'scarey' when it comes to morale tests and my chaos knights just crap there pants and run away for no aparant reason. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:11 pm
That's been a pain in the a** for me with my chaos warriors in Warbands... I seriously HATE fear causing units... Yet I love facing them... It's a curse!  

Shinobi_8745

Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces