Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:40 pm
Come here to discuss the Dark Elves of fantasy base Warhammer  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:48 pm
Has anyone ever thought about an all Witch Elf army? I've always wanted to make one but to take to a tourney, but without it being legal my dreams are dashed. Any thoughts?  

Angelic_Executioner

Traitor Jacknife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:51 pm
Yeah make a special army list and forget the tourney.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:49 pm
Hey the cult of Slaanesh list allows you to do something very similar to that!!
The Storm of Chaos Campaign book has the army list for them, and you can take a unit called devoted that's all lightly armored elves with a LOT of attacks and the really cool slaaneshi musk (1/2's enemy weapon skill)...They don't have any models so I just took 10 Deamonettes and 10 witch elves and put them in the same unit with a converted deamonette standard bearer...they look great, and the army is a joy to play. (You'd have to buy daemonettes just for this unit though, they need to be on normal elf bases xp )
I always liked the witch elves myself, and I think the list really makes for more of a witch themed army. Hope this helps!  

Jerhien

Angelic_Executioner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm
Thanks Jerhein I had been thinking about that but you really cemented that thought in my mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:22 pm
glad I could help! smile  

Jerhien

brat_prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:07 am
As I type this I know it sounds stupid. my mates dwarf army out does mine, thanks to my 3T his cannons pound stressed me and I cant brake his lines, I cant out flank him because of his set up, any ideas?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:32 pm
Fellow Druchii!

Ahh the dwarves, nasty bit of rubbish they are. I hope you know you're army, if not you're in trouble.

Alright when you're building a strategy against a specific army (dwarves in this situation) you need to know the army list, there armory, and the generic builds for the army.

There are two builds for the dwarf army.

Build One : Big Blasty Fings or OH MY GOD ME ARSE IS ON FIRE!!

What your enemy puts on the table--Warmachines and lots of them. Probably a cannon or two, but you'll most likely see a load of bolt throwers (the bad generals crutch) backed up by dwarven gunners and maybe some heavy infantry if the beardling has any points after slapping runes on every warmachine he has. If he's any good at the game he'll bring gyrocopters and flame cannons, but we'll assume for the moment he's a blasty young dwarf, barely into his stubble and eager for the smell of blood and brimstone!

You're solution--Boobs with wings! or SPLAT
All those big pointsy warmachines and nothing to protect them from your winged creatures...aye harpies. I know you're thinking "not those things? They SUCK!" but trust me, winged creatures/monsters are the bane of ALL warmachine's, and if you're clever you can chain a unit of these things through 4 or 5 warmachines before you're done, netting you a LOT of victory points (if you're not playing by victory point START IT'S THE ONLY WAY THE GAME IS FAIR!!!) also consider a manticore with a beastmaster...and why not bring a few bolt throwers of your own? If the person you're playing against wants to stay at a range mass bolt thrower fire can slowly but surely disable his warmachines by killing the crew. Remember he blew all of his points on runes and warmachines, if he has to advance with whatever infantry he has to win he's doomed.
You should also have enough points to buy a few nice close combat units like Executioners or Cold One Knights... enough (when combined with your magic) to destroy any infantry you manage to draw out.

In other words, force the dwarf player to advance because he has to in order to get victory points and the day is yours.

The second (READ--GOOD) drawf build -- The Bearded Horde

If your opponent has played much he'll probably have an army that looks something like this--Dwarf lord, Thane, Battle Standard bearer, And LOADS of troops. Hammerers, Long beards, maybe a unit of slayers. Ironbreakers. And guess what war machine the good dwarf general packs? The Flame Cannon, it's a MONSTER.
This is one of the hardest armies in the game to both play and fight against, in my humble opinion (I prefer my WE to DE, )
The key to this battle, to all of warhammer is to stack combat resolution. Think about special and rare units that can pack magic banners, the standard that gives you +d3 combat res, maybe even a battle standard bearer with the banner of nagarythe (hello unbrakeable unit with +1 combat res for all units within 6 inches!)
The only other piece of advice I can give you is a Dark Elf army without at least two mages isn't a competitive one. You need to OWN the magic phase with this army, I don't play without a high sorceress. A lot of Dark Elf spells can play havoc with a dwarf army, and having 2 bolt throwers won't hurt you any...

It's late, and there's a lot more I should be telling you about the strategy of it, but I'm too sleepy

I always keep the powell doctrine in mind...pick the week spot in the enemy, and apply overwhelming force. Be smart enough to see his weakness, and make him regret having it. If you have any more qustions post them and I'll try and get back to you with answers. (I used to work for GW so I've played alot...when it's your job to play the game, you pick up on a few things)  

Jerhien

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:34 am
I'm mixing Witch Elves and Deamonettes to form units of Devoted and then try and cut about the larger bases so I can use them as regular Deamonettes in my Deamonic Legion. I've not had to face Dwarves with my DE yet but I did Have a unit of 7 Dark Riders do a suicide run up a vally with an assortment of 10 Empire Artilery pieces once o.O; Took out all but 3 of the cannons before I was shot to bits ._.;  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:15 am
lol good for you. Moments like that really get me riled up to play. I love the feeling of impending doom and a reckless last charge...WOOHOO!  

Jerhien

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:06 am
lol, yeah it was great fun n.n Only reason I survived half the cannons cuz of the Empire artilleries ever reliable ability to blow themselves up X3 And I might have made it all the way if it weren't for the Master Engineer at the Hellblaster x.x;  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:20 am
This doesn't really belong in this thread but because yur on the subject of canons I'd like to share a pathetic story! I was playing against a Bretonnian noob with only 600 points! I ran his unit of men-at-arms off the table with heavy gunfire then I prepared defenses for a Bretonnian charge! My cannon was blasting his knights to bits and even though he could of charged my cannon he tried for spearmen! He didn't make it and my cannon was ready to kill the last of the knights when sadly my cannon blew crying I hate it when you can taste victory but then with a horrible roll you lose everything! Needless to say the 5 remaining knights trashed my spearmen and handgunners, they had +1 Armor save and he was rolling very well! (Next time I'll be ready!)  

MoonlightSun

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:49 am
That's why I stay clear of black powder weapons XO I much prefer watching my opponent squerm as I roll 60+ dice per shooting phase at their precious units X3  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:56 am
nadescaflowne
That's why I stay clear of black powder weapons XO I much prefer watching my opponent squerm as I roll 60+ dice per shooting phase at their precious units X3
Yeah I like my hangunners much much more! And to counter their cannons I use pistoliers!  

MoonlightSun

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 am
Fast cav and fliers the bane of all warmachines X3 I was hoping the rumours of an Undead Pirate army would have been true then I could have some units of Undead with pistols springing from the ground XO  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff