User Image
User Image

Monifa didn't know she was close to a pride. It had been a while, now, since she had crossed paths with another so the interaction wouldn't necessarily be one she would avoid. Perhaps it was the seeking of another that drew her close to the pride's borders. Perhaps it was just the habit of wandering paws that led her here, now.

It wasn't until the lioness drew near to the border that it the realization came over the lioness. The feel of such a number of lions made Monifa's paws stop. She never was one to settle, so a pride was an alien concept. Still, though, the scent and feel of so many others…

She couldn't help but be intrigued and be pulled near.
-
Malaya had started her scouting rounds a bit late. She’d offered to hunt for some of the sick earlier that morning. Now she was moving in the lope she’d been taught to cover a lot of ground. It was good to get out and move freely. To feel the strength in her limbs. She often felt sorry for those confined by their sickness. To make up for it, she pushed herself hard on these trips and tried to bring back a kill. Though she did her job quickly Malaya made sure to do it thoroughly.

She kept her eyes open for anything out of the ordinary. Particularly lions she didn’t recognize. Thus she was standing at the top of a small hill scanning the area around her when a pale spot caught her attention. Malaya didn’t remember anything pale being there and watched it closely. When the spot moved she knew it was a living animal. If it was a lion she had to intercept them before they got too close and infected by the disease.

The black lioness bounded down from her hill. Her feet flying as she raced toward the other. “Excuse me! Excuse me please!” She called hoping first not to scare the other, and to warn whoever it was that she wasn’t coming to attack. “Can you hold on just a moment?”

-
To say that Monifa hadn't been startled by the sudden call of the foreign lioness would have been a lie. And a bad one, at that. Her muscles tensed and her ears pinned. An act of instinct. After a brief glancing over of the lioness approaching, though, Monifa relaxed. Something about her seemed… frantic.

A gentler, more characteristic look crossed the pale lioness' features. She smiled and dipped her head. "Oh… Ehm, of course." Monifa adjusted her paws in a meek, awkward sort of movement. "I… apologize if I am intruding." Her pale eyes looked over the lioness before her once more as her head tilted slightly to the side. Her tail curled around her back leg and she stood as still as possible, trying her best not to do anything that would be at all intrusive.
-
Malaya was extremely grateful when the lion, lioness actually, didn’t bolt. She skidded up to a stop, raising a bit of dust. Panting from her run she grinned to reassure the other that she meant no harm. At least she would have something to report today.

“Pardon for the rush. I’m Malaya, and a scout for the Kitwana’antara pride. You see there’s a disease here that affects lions badly. I can’t let you enter unless you know this and are willing to remain here for the rest of your life.” She watched the lioness closely. Her story sounded a bit wild, but would she be believed? Malaya hoped so. She didn’t want to fight this sweet lioness.

-
At the words of the lioness, Monifa's eyebrows raised in surprise. A diseased pride which required one to stay… for life? "I must say, Malaya, that such a thing can happen to a pride is both heartbreaking… and unbelievable." Her tail flicked and the side of her mouth pulled into a frown. "But I see no reason why one would make up a tale." The frown twitched upwards into a faint smile and the lioness dipped her head in a formal greeting.

"My name is Monifa. A wanderer who has no intention to settle in any sort of pride. Though I must say I am rather intrigued by the situation, here…" Her voice faded as she looked past Malaya into the pride lands, as if just looking in would give her insight. "Tell me, how do your people cope with such a plague?"
-
The dark lioness settled herself more comfortably now that the crisis was over. She gave a slow nod of her head in regret. “It is. But the fact it happened to us, and we don’t want it happening to others is the reason I intercepted you. No one entering our lands should be ignorant of the risks.” Malaya was grateful the lioness wasn’t putting up a fuss over her tall tail.

“A pleasure Monifa.” Malaya readily returned her grin. For her, it was extremely invigorating to meet someone out of the pride. Who had no idea of the illness and disease suffered by those within. “I’m doubly glad to have stopped you then. It is unique isn’t it?” She chuckled a moment.

“We do have healers who do their best for us. And there are those who join to help who can’t get sick, like leopards and hyenas. You see the disease only affects lions.” Realizing what she said, Malaya ducked her head for a moment. “Don’t worry though. I can’t infect you just by talking. I’m a carrier you see. So while I’m not sick, I could pass it on. That’s why I’m out here patrolling.

-
"Quite the burden your pride has taken on its shoulders then, is it not? Keeping so many others from wandering into the grasp of this disease… it truly is a noble thing. And from the sound of it, you all do well to survive." She smiled, hopeful. The fact that a pride with a disease weighing it down could still function was something to be admired.

The implications that Malaya's first words hadn't crossed her mind at all. At the ducking of the lioness's head she blinked, confused, and then couldn't help but chuckle when she explained. "Funny. I hadn't thought of that at all… And a carrier, hm?" Monifa thought about the whole concept more. It was a lot to take in, this entire concept. There were lions in that pride, dying to this disease. The thought made her frown once more as her eyes drew once more from Malaya to the pride behind her.
-
“We are prepared to bare it since it prevents a catastrophe from befalling another pride.” She smiled as her pride was called noble. It was for the benefit of all that they chose this path. Malaya was simply following in their footsteps. Still it made her proud. She gave a soft sigh. “I wish it was easier on them. The sick. They are very weak. It saddens me that most of the sick die relatively young. There are no old sick lions, unless they join as an elder.” It was hard watching these proud lions fading away.

Malaya gave a soft laugh. “I’m glad!” She gave a happy smile. Monifa hadn’t been repulsed by her when she admitted to carrying the disease. “You must have traveled a lot. Would you mind telling me some of what you’ve seen? I was very young when my father brought me here.” She gave a wistful sigh. “Sometimes I miss my mother and sole brother who didn’t join us.”

-
"To die young… it's a shame." Monifa sighed and dropped her head, curling her tail once more. At the question about her own life, the lioness raised her head to the sky. "I travel often, yes. Since I was old enough to leave home…" Her mouth twitched to the side. "My heart is one that seeks to move, so I left my family… I've seen many, and been in the company of the extraordinary. Mortals and gods alike." She smiled at the memories. Of Athrun, a god and a father figure near to her heart.

"I had the opportunity to cross paths with my sister not long ago," she started, "But she sought a home, and I could not follow…" Her head tilted to the side "Your mother was not a part of your pride? And you joined with your father?" She smiled faintly, "You must be very dedicated to your people."
-
“Yes it truly is.” Malaya met Monifa’s eyes respectfully. Then she listened with interest. The young lioness couldn’t imagine what it might be like to never stop and call a place home. She glanced back over her shoulder at the lands her pride called home. Not that she’d ever try to leave, but what it must be like? “It’s nice that you’ve been able to travel as much as you like.”

Her ears perked when Monifa mentioned meeting her sister. “At least you have had a chance to meet her and wish her good luck. I fear I will never see my brother again. No,” she chuckled, “my mother is much like you. She is a free soul at heart. It was part of the agreement she made with my father. To give him a litter of cubs and most of us would return home with him. I have no regret my choice. The pride has been good to me.”

-
Monifa smiled and nodded her head in agreement. "Live without regrets, live with a heart of love, and things tend to work out for the better." She raised her head as she spoke, tilting back once more to look at the sky. It was darkening, now, and she dropped her hazy blue eyes to the Malaya. "Night comes, and my paws should continue to wander." She nodded once more. "I am grateful to have met you, Malaya, and to learn of your people. I wish you all the very best."

The pale lioness backed away before turning. "And perhaps you will have the same fortune as I and your brother will wander to these borders as I have." She turned her head back, giving the lioness a hopeful smile, before dipping her head farewell and disappearing into the evening.
-
“Pleasant travels Monifa. I have really enjoyed spending time with you and wish you the best.” Malaya rose to watch her leave. She smiled at the thought of her brother stopping by. “I hope he does,” she murmured. She, herself, rose to her feet and started back to her pride.