Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
My brother came out to me today

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nurnse_rolol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:09 pm
He told me how he has some interest in men (and also still likes women). I told him it was fine and everything, I really don't care, I'm not homophobic or anything, I have homosexual friends. I'm not sure if it's even really serious, or if it's just a phase, he said he wasn't sure either. We had a nice heart to heart, my mom was in the basement excercising so im the only one he told. I told him about my questioning phase (I'm still straight) and how I eventually decided I couldn't have a serious relationship with another woman... It was kind of casual, our conversations usually are.

I'm really glad he trusted me with this, and, like I said, I'm not homophobic or anything, but I feel really weird about it all now and I'm not sure why.. I dunno. I always assumed he was straight, he sometimes made jokes about it but would always blow it off with a laugh or a "just kidding." I don't know why I'm posting this. Guess I just wanted to say it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:25 pm
That's exciting!

My best advice (if you want any) is not to push the idea on him that it's "just a phase". One of my older sisters did that to me and it made me feel like more of an outcast than I really ever imagined being.  

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

nurnse_rolol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
That's exciting!

My best advice (if you want any) is not to push the idea on him that it's "just a phase". One of my older sisters did that to me and it made me feel like more of an outcast than I really ever imagined being.

I tried not to, tried to keep it kind of "this is what happened to me, so consider everything if you're not sure."

I'm not good at giving advice. At least not in a verbal conversation, my brain doesn't work that fast. I need thinking time.

Still there's that shameful part that almost doesn't want him to be...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:41 pm
I'm terrible at giving advice...especially to myself, so no worries smile

And why would you feel shame for that? You can't help the way you feel, I'm sure the reasons behind why you wish he isn't are of good intention.  

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Stars Flying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 pm
Congrats to your brother! It sounds like you handled the situation just fine. Be proud of him, there's no need to be ashamed. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 pm
my sister was the first person i told and i think it took her a little while to get used to the idea too. a few years later she is comfortable enough about it to make jokes with me about my liking women

your brother trusted you alot and clearly you love him. just stay open about your feelings with each other and eventually you will consider hit orientation normal instead of feeling weird about it  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 pm
Tell him to join GGSA, lol.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:45 pm
jettblack28
He told me how he has some interest in men (and also still likes women). I told him it was fine and everything, I really don't care, I'm not homophobic or anything, I have homosexual friends. I'm not sure if it's even really serious, or if it's just a phase, he said he wasn't sure either. We had a nice heart to heart, my mom was in the basement excercising so im the only one he told. I told him about my questioning phase (I'm still straight) and how I eventually decided I couldn't have a serious relationship with another woman... It was kind of casual, our conversations usually are.

I'm really glad he trusted me with this, and, like I said, I'm not homophobic or anything, but I feel really weird about it all now and I'm not sure why.. I dunno. I always assumed he was straight, he sometimes made jokes about it but would always blow it off with a laugh or a "just kidding." I don't know why I'm posting this. Guess I just wanted to say it.

Good to have ur brother to trust u like that:}  

Sintheimp

2,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items