Ghalati limped his way home after following Tailung at a distance for half a day. It was almost a full day, then, for him to get back. He was exhausted and battered, his leg aching from where he had been sliced in one of the battles he had while dragging Tailung from the pridal lands. But he was sure the leopard would not be returning, and that was good enough for him. He sighed as he passed over familiar, welcoming rocks that told him he was officially back within the pride borders. He drew closer to Mkoani, and saw a young lion seemingly waiting for something in front of his hut. He recognized him as Glaurung, the Druid he had been watching.

Glaurung saw him and leaped forward, running over to him.

“Sir Ghalati!” he cried in surprise and wonder. He saw the soldier’s limp and shook his head. He knew that Ghalati must have been the reason why Tailung was gone from his den, but he had no idea how the soldier had been able to figure out how desperately Glaurung had needed the help. He shook his head, unable to say anything right away, blinking in dumb confusion and happiness. It had taken some asking around, but he had learned that Ghalati was seen dragging a leopard interloper from the lands, and word was spreading that he had protected the King from some sort of plot against him. Glaurung knew that bit was not true, or was fairly sure it was not, but he still delighted in hearing that Tailung was gone.

And would stay that way, he hoped. But it made him nervous.

“You will be alright,” the soldier said, sighing as he came to sit in front of Glaurung. He looked impassive as always, as if he had not just spared the Druid a terrible fate. Ghalati served the people of the pride, not just the King himself. Though Uther did not like Druids, and most Toka did not, and even Ghalati had his own bias against their blood, he still could not abide something like that happening. The leopard had no right to try and intimidate Glaurung into being his slave, and Ghalati was certain if he had left them it would have gotten far worse. Still, he was not willing to be completely relaxed just yet.

“Th-thank you…”

“You are welcome. You should have gone to the King. He would have driven that leopard out, or even had him executed. I did not wish to wait any longer, by the time I was involved I felt it more important I intercept him directly. I will inform the King, and you may be called to him.”

“That is well, my family serves in the castle…”

“Do you? Then you will probably need to stay in the servants dens there, instead of your dens out here, for a little while. It will be safer for you there. I do not think he will be returning any time soon, but creatures as angry as that one are difficult to predict. We will ere on the safe side for now.” He took a breath, and it was pained. He looked down at his leg and Glaurung looked too. He frowned.

“I should take you to the castle with me, the healer there can tend your wound… I am not very good at it, to be honest, and I think that leopard would have been safer with someone else if I’m honest…”

Ghalati heaved a very profound sigh, shaking his head slowly and tilting it to one side as he considered the initiation. Weighing if it was worth the hassle to walk all the way up there on the injury, and to walk all the way back down after someone was done poking at it. He shook his head, deciding that he would like his odds better by just finding a healer in the province at hand. Mkoani had many scholars, and certainly there was one versed enough in small scratches to aid him. And if not, he was sure he would survive. He had suffered worse wounds, and had certainly gotten the better end of the deal as far as the battle between him and Tailung went.

“I will be fine, I will find a healer in the Province.”

Glaurung looked unsure, then moved to bump his head against Ghalati’s cheek, which surprised the other male lion enough to make him back away in wonder. He cleared his throat and nodded his head, but Glaurung had to say something.

“Thank you so much for helping me. I do not know how you managed to… or why you would go to such a length… but you helped me so much. He was threatening my family, and I was sure… I thought if I told anyone he would hurt them or… or… I couldn’t risk them, you understand, I really just…”

Ghalati shook his head.

“There is no need to thank me. I was doing my duty to protect this pride. You are a member of this pride, and a servant to the King himself. More than enough reason for me to stop someone from taking advantage of you. You need to learn how to be a bit more… assertive.”

It was strange advice coming from someone who looked like he could not care less about the things he was saying at the moment. He sighed and stood again, moving to limp slowly back toward his own province. His home was in Caddoc, and he had a long walk back on a bad leg to look forward to. But he hoped he would run into a healer between here and there.

“Fare well, young Toka,” he said, knowing full well he was speaking to a Druid.

Glaurung looked stunned and fluffed himself up a bit, smiling at Ghalati’s back as the soldier walked away. He did not look back ,but that was fine. Glaurung would never forget what had been done for him. For now, he had to get his things together and go speak to the King. Ghalati was supposed to do it, but it seemed he was distracted by his exhaustion and his need to get his wound treated to remember. Not that he could be blamed for it, he had had a long few days on duty.

The Druid could go and handle a visit with the King. Probably.

(Word Count: 1,072 in Word)