(This is sort-of from Elua's perspective...thus the name oddness after Rutu introduces herself.)
User Image
User Image

Elua had told them she'd be back in a few days, that she was just going to visit an old friend. And she had been. But now...she was lost. Lost, and sick from the heat. She'd never really wandered the desert before, just kind of skirted the edges, knowing how dangerous it could be from stories. And now...

How had Tama found himself in a pride within the desert? What kind of pride even LIVED in the desert? The cheetah dragged herself into the shade of a lone rock struggling against the sand...and it wasn't much longer before she heard voices. Voices? She really must be sick now...

“Mother! There's someone out there!”

“So there is, child!” Elua felt something lift her, jarring but trying to be gentle. She opened her eyes a little, groaning, and saw green eyes looking at her worriedly from a sand-colored face. How odd. She didn't recognize that face. Quite the delusion she was having...

“You'll be okay, lady.”

The next thing Elua knew was sweet shade and the precious smell of water. Startling, she immediately regretted moving at all, groaning as her stomach tried to rebel. There was the sound of paws quickly moving over to her, the scrape of wood against stone as the smell of water came closer to her.

“Here's a little water, close enough you won't exert yourself too much. Mother said you can't have too much yet, because the heat and lack of water before messed with you.” Elua opened her eyes carefully, glad she wasn't bombarded with light, her body calming just a little. She could see the worried female in front of her, though. The very, very pretty worried female. And there was a worn wooden bowl with water in it within Elua's reach. Carefully, the cheetah used a paw to draw it close to her mouth, lapping at the water weakly once it was close enough.

And the pretty female gained a slight expression of relief. “Mother and I were worried the heat-sickness had settled too hard into you. I'm glad you can drink. Rest once you're done. When you wake again, there will be a little more water than there was this time.” And blackness claimed Elua once more as she finished, the pretty lioness the last thing she saw.

When she woke again, there was indeed more water. And the pretty lioness was there again. She was prompted to drink again, taking it slow once more. And again, she slept when finished, the female keeping a watch like a guardian spirit.

The third time she woke, the bowl with water was full...and there was a desert hare next to it. And for the first time, she felt thirsty enough to practically gulp the water and hungry enough to devour the hare. And her body didn't rebel, it was just exhausted. Very exhausted. When she was finished, she noticed the pretty female watching her with profound relief, a smile on her muzzle. “I'm glad you're feeling better. I was worried...” Elua returned the smile with a weak one of her own.

“I'm sorry for worrying such a pretty face. I hope you'll forgive me.” The lioness laughed, a bright and pure sound to Elua's ears.

“You're well forgiven, miss!” When she finished laughing, her smile grew to a grin. “I'm Rutu.” Rutu...a pretty name but...it oddly didn't fit the lioness.

“I am Elua. It is nice to meet you, Rutu...though I think you should be called Naamah.” The lioness blinked in confusion.

“Naamah? Whyfore?”

“Because she was a very beautiful goddess, and for some reason, you strike me as like her.” Rutu looked highly embarrassed, ducking her head and tail wrapping around her paws.

“I uhm...th-thank you.” She'd never had anyone say such a thing about her before! Elua giggled, settling now that she had a full belly and a sated-ish thirst.

“You are very welcome, Naamah.” And sleep claimed her again, dark and blissful.

The fourth time she woke, the lioness helped her to her paws to walk around a little. And the entire time, Elua called her Naamah. The name seemed to fit her better than 'Rutu'. Though 'Rutu' was a very pretty name, Elua would not deny. Naamah's mother watched in the archway of the little room Elua had been staying in, looking highly amused. The walking led the trio outside the room, Elua stepping carefully and Naamah never far from her side as she led the cheetah to water, so she could drink her fill. Elua had never been so happy to see water. Naamah giggled when she practically danced before setting to drink.

“You are an odd one, Elua.” Elua laughed.

“Yes...but I'd rather be odd and interesting, than 'normal' and boring.” Besides...'normal' seemed to have such a narrow view of love, and she simply could not deal with that very well. After she had sated her thirst, Naamah led her to food.

“I caught the prey myself! Since I figured others might complain if I used food caught for the pride for you. Since you're not a member.” She looked sheepish. And Elua licked her cheek, smiling.

“Thank you. You've taken such good care of me. You...and your mother found me?” Naamah nodded.

“Yes. We were patrolling the borders when we found you. We were so worried you might already be too far gone...but you weren't, and I'm glad of that.” Elua stopped and leaned against the lioness, making a happy sound. And Naamah stopped with her.

“I am glad as well. After all...had I died, I'd not have properly met you, Naamah!” The lioness looked embarrassed again, ducking her head.

“You're not going to stop calling me that, are you?” Elua giggled, and shook her head.

“Nope. It fits you so well.” And Naamah sighed, shaking her head.

“You are so strange. Nice. But strange.” Elua shrugged, then yawned. Oh! Naamah giggled. “Looks like it's back to the room so you can get some rest. Come on...” And she moved to nudge Elua that way, smiling.