Just got this new food at my store. It's, somewhat, a lower end food compared to what we sell, but it's affordable, so I have at least one person in mind who I'd like to switch off a corn based food onto this, just a few things to consider though.

I'm not entirely sure if she finally switched to a light food. But they SHOULD be on light because one of the cats is quite fat, she won't admit to it though. So let's start by comparing the light.

This is the food I have her on currently for her cats. I suggested it back when I worked at the store that makes this food. Again, it's very affordable so I never suggested she switch just because I don't work there anymore. She still comes to my new store to get can food. She was very happy with the senior formula, she said her cat acted two years younger after the switch (on some grocery crap before). The cat passed away this spring, at the age of 21yrs or so. And so hopefully she switched to light for the sake of the younger cats. So just to sum up. It's 31% protein, 9% fat, 3% fiber, 6.5% ash. 0.27% omega 3. 3200cals.

This is the food we just got. I don't remember the prices off by heart. I do recal the vetdiet being about 17-19 bucks for a 5kg bag 3yrs ago. This one I tthhiinnkk is around 22 for a similar size bag. So first off, protein is slightly less at 30%, fat stays the same at only 9%, fiber is 7.50% !!! wholly cow! (3 is normal) and ash 6.80%. So, of course I'm going to say, wow, that's a lot of fiber. Which is both good and bad. I mean, sure fiber is filling, but it also means filler in a sense that it's not digested and provides very little nutritional value. Omega also slightly less at only 0.15%

But if we compare ingredients.... Chicken meal is first for both. Vetdiet then goes for brewers rice and ground corn. Whereas the proseries opts for brown rice and whole oats. Next up, vetdiet uses an egg product and then chicken fat is 5th on the list, proseries instead throws in more meat with fish meal and then chicken fat followed by WHOLE eggs. Pro series goes on to include liver, brewers yeast (ok, not so great this one) kelp meal and fish oil. Then a variety of fruits, veggies, botanicals, probiotics etc. Vetdiet on the other hand uses flaxseed, beet pulp, chicken digest and more crap. So ingredient wise proseries is looking great. So how come they end up with less omega 3 and more fiber? It seems to me the omega 3 in the proseries is going to be highly bioavailable whereas I didn't see any fish in the vetdiet. And while their fiber is quite high, that does mean less carbs and therefor less sugar. So I'm still thinking this one is going to be better, just wanted to know what you guys think of this.

Also, comparing the adults, proseries has less fat and more protein than vetdiet. But still a very high fiber.

Both diets have hairball control and urinary health claims. However the proseries have glucosamine in their adult formulas and vetdiet only in the senior (granted younger cats might not have much use for glucosamine but it might be good for her overweight cats)

Also, getting a free bag of Medical vet exclusive food. I think I'll get dental and give it to this same client (my ex's mom) cause her 7yr old shitzu has bad breath and teeth.