Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

endejester

Feral Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:24 pm
((Placed here per and be blue!))

Starts: NOW!
Ends: Friday the 13th at 7pm EST

Something strange is happening in the swamps. Creatures are appearing from places unknown, fantastic and large enough to swallow a foal should they so be inclined. Feathered Serpents from lands and places unknown.

The question remains ‘where did they come from? What stories could explain where they came from and what their purpose?’

In order to win one of these Feathered Serpents, you need to write a myth about them!
Our favorite four stories will each win one of these feathery snakes!

The White one belongs to Rejam, the blue/green one belongs to endejester. The Parrot, the black, the brown and the green-gold are all up to be won.

User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

To enter Please use the following form!

[b]A story a story! Let me tell you a story:[/b]
[b]Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for:[/b](Name of Kin here)

You may enter only once so choose wisely!
The Feathered Serpents will be a rare thing! They will be hard to breed and will be available through staff events only!

The Parrot and the Black are colored by: Rejam
The Green and Brown are colored by: Endejester

*EDIT*

These stories do not have to be told from the PoV of the Kin you are entering with, BUT, if you enter with that Kin's PoV it can be used as the storytelling req for legendary according to 'and be blue' <3  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 pm
A story a story! Let me tell you a story: Many species hold a natural fear of snakes. They're a predator, it's only natural right? You may believe this primal fear is quite easy to understand. After all, some snakes are poisonous and you can't be too careful! But that is only part of the truth. There are old legends, passed down by word of mouth and who knows how reliable that say that many ages ago, snakes were not the small creatures we know today.

Even the largest living serpents in these woods are tiny--miniscule in size compared to what snakes and beasts once were. Long ago, my dear young foal, our slithery little friends were monsters, giants even. They ruled the land and every kimeti with a brain in their head knew to fear them, lest they have their very soul snatched from their body and devoured.

I see that look in your eye. You think it's rubbish. Why aren't they still around today, I bet you wonder.

Well there are plenty of stories about that, too. Most say they were constantly-warring creatures and that they fought so much they killed themselves off with their bickering. Look closely and you may see old scars on trees that look vaguely like bitemarks. They still live, however. Perhaps not as large as they once were, but those old beasts still roam this swamp. They've simply gotten smarter you see. They absorbed the spirits of birds and grew wings. They fly above the treetops. And when you've let your guard down, you can bet they'll come and snatch you away. Haven't you ever wondered why you're an only child?

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Snow (never too early to start her collection, right? > u>)  

abkvs
Crew

Trash Vampire

Mnara

6,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:03 pm
A story a story! Let me tell you a story:

There was once an ancient watersnake named River-Beast. He had never stopped growing his entire life, and when he was older than the stars in the sky, he was so big that his movements would shake the ground and cause streams to form in his wake.

He had fathered many clutches in his time, but he had become too old, and none of his matings had taken for many seasons. He was growing lonely in his old age, his mates and children all passed on long before his allotted time. So he began to seek out the Wise Ones.

Now, the Wise Ones were special. They were a group of creatures who had lived long past their prime, and granted wisdom and blessings to those who sought them out. They were five in number - a stubborn old eaglehound, a graceful crane, a sweet songbird, a soft-spoken lynx, and a boisterous frog. They made their home on an exposed rocky outcropping near the sea, and perched upon five matching stumps.

River-Beast found his way to the Wise Ones, leaving many streams and a river in his wake. He settled down in their midst, forming a lake where he rested.

"Wise Ones, I seek your wisdom and blessings."

He explained his situation, and found no answer from them. None could give him his youth or virility back. Dejected, he turned to leave, only to be beckoned by the frog.

"You are ancient, like us. Stay, and be a Wise One. Have the companionship of your peers, great River-Beast."

River-Beast thought on this, and accepted. He dwells with the Wise Ones now, inside his lake, and takes heart in their presence near him.

Some say he found his virility once again, and that he became quite close with the graceful crane... But surely that is just a tall tale.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Dangling Vine  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:10 pm
A tiny filly shivered in an unfamiliar place. The filly was watched from under flat, black bangs and over protuberant eyeteeth, by a doe who was generally known as strange, savage, and merciless. While the youngster had no way of knowing this reputation, it was easy enough to tell that the black doe was very still, and very quiet, and very, very scary.

For her own part, Never was in a rather good mood that night. This filly had certainly disturbed her peace and privacy by crawling into her den, but it was raining heavily, and thundering loudly, and the wind blew cold. She was inclined to let the little one stay, should she prove brave enough.

The filly was startled from a shallow doze when Never suddenly asked, with a grin, "How about a story?" Without waiting for an answer, she began;

"As we all know," she said, eying the filly meaningfully, "the Motherfather made all the world, and made the swamp the best; and she laid the eggs of all of the Kin; and the stars, sun and moon are fleas and ticks shucked from her hide. She, too, made many animals to put in all the places she made, from the tiniest beetles to the greatest trees.

"After she had made most of the creatures, she began to feel restless. She had made swans and cranes, and she had made caiman and snake, and foxbun, eaglehound and owlcat alike. But, she felt that something was missing.

"The missing creatures were, of course, the Kin. But Motherfather did not realize this right away. She stared and she thought, 'Have I made the creatures to eat the tall grasses? Yes, yes I did - every last mouse and hare.

Never stood and began to pace as she continued the repetitions. "'Did I make the creatures to eat up the mice? Yes, yes I did - the owls and the cats.

"'Did I make the creatures to fly through the air? Yes, yes I did - from songbird to hawk.

"'Did I make the creatures to eat all of these? Yes, yes I -'" Never stopped, suddenly, before the filly, and turned her head to face the youngling slowly. "No, no she did not, she remembered. So she made the crocodile, long and fat, to lie in wait in the water to snap up the unaware. This was not enough, she thought, so she made the cheetah, to race through the plains and run down the slow. And this was not enough, so she made the bear, to maul and devour prey of all kinds.

"But even this was not enough. These creatures were wicked and fierce, but they lacked a certain... elegance. Motherfather thought and thought, and decided to take the beautiful, bright feathers of the songbird, and pair them with the armored muscle of the snake, and to make the creature very large indeed. It could not eat all of the others, but it could eat very many. What it could not eat, it could escape from in flight. Its scales glowed, its feathers shimmered, its teeth were wicked and its eyes were shrewd. It flew as she released it, feathers a-rattle, weaving through the sky.

Never settled back into the spot where she lay. Blandly, she finished, "Motherfather, of course, was still dissatisfied. She, at last, remembered that she had yet to make the smartest creatures, her children. But the feathered serpents, made just before us, are her second-favorite." Never peered through her hair to see how the filly took it.

The filly was asleep. With a quiet chuckle, Never laid her head down on her legs. From the darkness, there came what may have been a rattle of feathers, and a stray glimmer of what could have been scales, and a shrewd eye may have blinked. Then again, it could have been nothing.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Never  

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

Flayre The Pyro Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:47 pm
The brown and blue doe stood quietly, watching over the still sacs of unborn Kin. “Sleep well, littles,” she told them, “and I’ll tell you a story of long, long ago, when the Kimeti and the Kiokote and the Acha were not the only denizens of our beloved Swamp.”

Her low voice created a soothing rhythm as she spoke the opening words. “Once, long ago, a creature that the Mother Swamp did not create appeared within Her boundaries. Long and slender of body, but great of head, with soft wings, these creatures resembled a cross of songbird and watersnake. But these feathered serpents, as the Motherfather deemed them, were greater predators than their tiny fanged cousins. The serpents fed on greater prey, prey like Kimeti and Kiokote and Acha and the lost cousins, the Zikwa and Totoma. But they were not cruel creatures, the serpents. They only killed to feed, until one day, when a bloody-minded doe chose to challenge a serpent.

“Ever Rage was a beautiful doe, long and fair of limb and hide, but behind her glowing green eyes was a mind that thirsted solely for blood and harm. She had heard stories of these great creatures that were not native to her Swamp, and the Kin they killed and swallowed, and her rage was fueled. And so came the day when she came across an adolescent serpent trying to make a meal out of a small blind foal. The foal, squealing and lashing out in terror, had landed wrong and snapped an ankle, and now lay helpless and crying in resignation of death before life had begun.

“Ever Rage charged in, however, her battle cry a ululating sound that echoed in the trees, and lay about thrashing the serpent, to which it’s own father responded. When the adults confronted each other, words were thrown at the elder serpent, chastising him and his offspring for the torment and terror the foal had suffered. The elder serpent offered challenge, raising his body up and hissing, and battle was joined.

“They fought quickly, each adult striking and retreating, luring the other into a foolish attack that would end everything. For a while, each held their own, but slowly, they accumulated wounds, and eventually, the serpent landed a killing blow to Ever Rage’s throat, spilling her vibrant blood across the ground. The serpent turned to his child, to instruct it that they were leaving, only to see the younger serpent further tormenting its prey. Ever Rage, still alive, though only barely, staggered to her unsteady feet, just in time to watch the smaller serpent kill the foal, then turn to leave.

“Ever Rage understood killing to eat. But killing for sport was not acceptable to her, and with the last of her blood dripping down her shoulder, she stomped the smaller serpent into the mud, her blood mixing with its, until she dropped. The elder and surviving serpent could only watch in horror as an honorable battle became something far baser, a blood sport, then vengeance killing.

“Finally, the Swampmother, having watched this all, spoke to the serpent, and this is what she said: ‘Serpent, I have allowed your kind to reside within myself, to partake of prey both small and large, in the understanding that decorum would be observed. Now, two of my children are dead for no reason other than blood games, and one was tortured by your own. This cannot be permitted, and so you and your brethren are to leave my borders. Fly or slither out, to the desert sands, and only when you see the signs may you return. But never are you to eat one of my children again.’

“And so, the feathered serpents of yore came, saw, and were banished. No one knows what signs the Motherfather spoke of, but there are some Kin who know the stories, and they keep a weather eye on the direction of the desert sands, waiting for the day when long slender bodies come from the Eastern skies.”
Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for:Lucky Charm  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:39 pm
User Image User Image

Sunlit Rock's eyes opened slowly, it was still dark out, but while she couldn't see anything she did think she heard an odd fluttering sound. Normally this wouldn't mean anything strange, but it was very close to the ground and accompanied by the sounds of shifting bushes. Feeling a weight press into her side she knew it couldn't be Amber, not that she had the wings to make those noises anyway. As Amber continued to press against her, Sunlit Rock noticed that her turtle almost seemed to be shivering. Was she scared? Moving her head down to nuzzle her turtle she smiled warmly.

"What's wrong? Are you scared dear?" She chuckled good-naturedly as Amber seemed to nod, and wiggle herself deeper into Sunlit Rock's side. "I take it you haven't heard these sounds before either then." Pausing a moment to listen, she noticed the sounds were all but gone. Once again she smiled. "How about I tell you a story? To ease your fear?" Amber peaked her head out a bit more and nodded, cuddling under one of the does legs. Chuckling once more Sunlit Rock began her tale.

"Once upon a time, back when the land was new and the Swamp's creatures had yet to fully settle in her land, there was a snake. This snake was different then most, for you see, this poor snake was unable to breed. Now, it's not that he didn't work correctly, it's more that luck wasn't on his side. It seemed that every attempt he made failed, though no fault lay with him or his mates. One day, while laying next to the remains of his most recent failed attempt, he felt the Swamp Mother. Sensing her presence deep within him he opened himself up to her, the longing for a family reaching out from deep within his little heart. The Swamp Mother felt pity for her child, and his deep devotion to her, and blessed him. The Swamp told him that he was blessed with the gift of fertility and that all his children would be strong, healthy and equally blessed. The snakes aching heart now filled with joy, it continued on it's quest, searching for the one it would make a family with."

"Strangely, despite the normal abundance of snakes at this time, he couldn't find a single one. Suddenly he felt a creature approaching him and before he could escape the snake was snatched up by a mongoose. Luck was finally on his side, because right as the mongoose grabbed him, a songbird seemed to drop out of the sky. This startled the mongoose just as much as the snake, and it dropped it's prey before skittering away up into the trees. Looking up at what was his savior, but also a whole new danger, he couldn't help but stare at her wonderful feathers. So soft and smooth, the most magnificent colors he could imagine. The brightest, most poisonous greens as well as a deep blood red which seemed to merge into a shining yellow. This songbird had enchanted him, and he began his normal courtship. This shocked the bird, just about as much as she had shocked the mongoose, causing her to flutter into the air. Pausing for a moment the snake continued his dance, and despite her refusals, continued to try. Eventually the bird finally feel for his charm, as she had found his own colors quite enchanting, thus why she had rescued him."

"When the two successively produced children, they were blissful in the knowledge the Swamp Mother's blessing had worked. However, they were a bit worried, for the children had inherited their father's shape but their mother's feathers. Despite their worrying the blessing held, and the children grew up strong. These children went on to find their own mates, some songbirds, others snakes. Eventually their decedents became feathered serpents, gifted with wings. However these creatures, still blessed with fertility and strength in their children, began breeding with larger creatures and eventually grew to the size of a young kin. Sadly, due to limited numbers and their cross-species nature, they were beginning to have difficulty producing children even among members of their own new species. Despite this, the Swamp Mother's blessing held strong, which was probably the only reason they were able to continue their line at all. When they reached a steady point and began simply breeding among themselves, many of the creatures had began to fear these strange beings. After some time, as the Swamp's other children began to draw away, the feathered serpents decided it was time to leave. Heading for an unknown land, they promised the Swamp Mother one thing. One day, they would return."

"Well, that's the legend anyway." Sunlit Rock yawned, looking down at Amber. Sighing, a smile crossing her face she nudged the turtle gently. "You're not supposed to fall asleep when someone's talking to you silly." Amber simply gurgled and snuggled into the doe's fur a bit more, practically flipping herself over in the process. Shaking her head, Sunlit Rock righted her friend, who seemed pleased with her new position. As she lay her head down, preparing for sleep, she sensed another presence. Hearing the soft sound of fluttering and rustling once again she smiled. Maybe they had finally returned, as they had once promised so long ago. The creatures blessed by the Swamp Mother. The beasts of legend. The feathered serpents.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Sunlit Rock  

SerinaNight

Feline Rogue

11,325 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:59 pm
The buck settles down, arranging his body over gnarled roots. Fond golden eyes trace over the contours of the foal through its pearly, fragile sac. Alder breathes softly, watching the ripples of the water before him. “Child, things are changing. There are days when I feel ancient, that things are changing too quickly; and then I remember that I’m not that old at all, and that the world must turn,” he begins in good humor, starting the ritual that he has done many times before. It never gets old, however, and he searches for a story to tell. With so many changes occurring, he wanted to choose an appropriate story. The wooded buck’s mind recalled an older tale, one that had not crossed his mind in many a year. “Once, little one, when the Motherfather created the stars and the sun and the moon and She began to create land and the creatures within, She discovered a problem. The sky began to blend with the ground, and try as She might, the sky would not remain away from the land. The Motherfather pulled the sky from the ground fruitlessly and thought of a solution. She grew a tall tree in the middle of the Swamp, her most beloved place, but the sky fell in other places, and the tree’s branches could not extend far enough. Her children, hatched from the eggs She laid as a crane, sheltered beneath the huge tree as She searched for a solution.”

“The Motherfather thought of many solutions to Her problem, but before She could implement any of them, another being approached. The Motherfather was not alone in the world before She created land and stars, oh no. Now I cannot tell you from where he came, but his form was long and scaled, and his many wings held light and dark and suns and stars within them. ‘So you have discovered a problem,’ he laughed, a hissing sort of sound. And the Motherfather waited, and was rewarded for Her patience. ‘I can solve your problem, of course. Allow me to encircle your world, and I will spread my many wings and hold the sky above your children’s heads.’ The great being was still, and the Motherfather considered his proposal.”

“‘Your many wings would block the sky from my children’s sight, and they could not gaze upon the moon and sun I created,’ She told the great serpent.

He laughed, ‘My wings are nothing, if that is your only objection.’ So he spread one of his many wings and showed the Swamp what he meant; as she gazed at the wing she could see through it, to the earth beneath. She nodded thoughtfully, and turned her eyes back towards the serpent and in Her wisdom asked, ‘And what do you ask in return for this favor? One such as yourself does nothing without payment, and certainly not something so immense.’ The being coiled his great body and released a sigh, looking into the place beyond the sky. ‘I am old,’ he began. ‘I feel as though I should rest. And in return for my favor, you will allow my children into your world, to roam throughout your lands.’”

“The Motherfather looked skeptically at the snake and scoffed. ‘I commend your favor, yes, but to allow your children to roam with mine?’ She gazed at his many wings and his large, scaled body, and then his countless teeth flashing as he spoke. ‘Your children would devour my children in great numbers, I cannot allow my children to be hunted by such creatures.’

The large serpent thought for many moments. ‘My children do not have my many wings, true, but they have my teeth and they are strong and agile. No doubt they could kill many. So I will make you a deal: I will give my children smaller size, so that they do not threaten unduly your own, still remaining fearsome predators - but they will not hunt your children; instead, should my offspring choose they shall work together with yours and there will be no greater hunters. It will be an equal partnership between our children. Is this agreeable to you?’ When the Motherfather nodded, pleased with the terms, the serpent prepared for his task, reaching out his many wings to begin to lift the sky.

The being paused and turned to the Motherfather, remembering that he had forgotten his last request. ‘One last request: I ask that you give my children the jungles you created, hot and wet, so like your Swamp but so different. There they will thrive, adapt and grow. A time will come when they grow too many and they will journey forth from their jungles. They will spread across your lands and find them inhospitable. Many of them will die. And then they will come to your Swamp, and it shall be as their home. Many that make the journey will die, but I ask that your children give those who reach it a home within your Swamp.’

The Motherfather nodded one last time to the serpent and uttered a solemn ‘thank you’ as the serpent crawled beneath the sky and began to lift. She watched as his wings spread and disappeared, and as the serpent himself disappeared. The sky remained in place. She turned from the sight and before Her was an egg, and she knew it for the grand serpent’s. The Swamp took the egg and placed it lovingly in the jungle she had created and gazed up at the sky. Her eyes closed in sadness, for she understood the serpent’s sacrifice for his children. A single tear fell to the egg, spreading a glow throughout it. The egg began to rip and the children spilled onto the ground, so like their father. And the Motherfather returned to the place above the sky and watched as the winged snakes explored their new home and whispered a promise. ‘Now you are my children as well, and when the day comes that you travel to new lands, those of you that find my Swamp will be blessed, for amongst the fear that some of my children will show, fear that I cannot stop, you shall also find acceptance; not one of you who reaches my swamp shall remain alone, and you will find the partnership your Father spoke of.’”

“And so the Motherfather’s children spread, the Acha to their deserts and the Kiokote to their plains, the Totoma and the Zikwa to their homes and the Kimeti remained here, in the Swamp. The sky resides above all these places, held up by the vast serpent who gave his life for his children’s home.” By now the buck was telling his story not to a sac but to a foal, still wet and blind but who looked at him curiously all the same. Alder gave the foal a tender lick, gazing out into his home. “Ah, child, the changes that have come in my lifetime. What more changes shall come in yours? Perhaps it is time for the serpents to arrive. Perhaps you’ll be one of the chosen, hmm?” Alder laughed and gave the foal a final nudge, urging it to the shadows of the tree. The buck faded into the swamp, leaving nothing behind but the foal and the lingering impression of his tale.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Last Frost (the foal that Alder is talking to, which I hope is okay xD)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 pm
A story a story! Let me tell you a story: When Seashell first described the feathered serpent to someone they didn't believe him. When he'd first shown it to someone they asked where it came from. Not knowing himself, Seashell decided to make up a story about their appearance and purpose.

"Long ago, before the MotherFather had made eaglehounds or owlcats or any of Her other mixed creatures, She made feathered serpents. Not many as She wasn't sure how Her children would receive them. After all they do look fierce and are large enough to eat a youngling. But She created them to be our protectors, much like the more common large pets are today." He pauses to take a breath and order his thoughts.

"Very few Kimeti actually tried to tame them, and fewer still actually succeeded. Those who did taught their new found companions to warn of possible danger. They also taught them what to hunt and what not to hunt. Feathered serpents aren't just protectors, though, they can help hunt as well. They aren't as cold as a caiman, either. They are fiercely loyal and if they count you among their friends they may even snuggle up to you. Unlike a snake, who's blood is cold, a feathered serpent is warm blooded. They may not be the most comfortable to snuggle up to, but they give their own kind of comfort." Another pause for breath, and to wrack his brain for ideas. Making up stories was hard work.

"They aren't just useful for protection and companionship. Their feathers and scales are also used, harvested by their owners when they shed or molt. I've seen them used to decorate anything and anyone. I've even heard some say they help with minor illness, though I have never witnessed this myself. Have you ever noticed the feathered headdresses some wear during festivals? Well not all of those feathers are from birds. The most prized feathers are from feathered serpents." This time when Seashell stops for breath a question is asked.

"Ahh, I got off track, let me back up a bit. When the MotherFather saw that very few Kimeti were interested in them She altered their breeding. They could still lay eggs but there were fewer to a clutch. As time went on less and less Kimeti went looking for them, which created problems. No longer having us to train them there were instances of a winged serpent eating a youngling. So again the MotherFather stepped in. This time She sent them away, to the deepest recesses of the swamp. Places Kimeti very rarely go, so there would be less chance of one eating more babies. She didn't want to destroy them, after all they had been made for us. But now that they are reappearing it must be that She feels winged serpents would be better accepted as pets. And why not? We have learned how to tame the caiman and many of us have. Or would if we weren't fearful of it eating our other pets. Snakes and turtles we have as well, it is a good time for reptiles to be pets." Taking a deep breath, Seashell nods and turns back to watch the small group of feathered serpents.

"It may also be that now we'll need fierce protectors. We already have eaglehounds and lynxes, and thanks to the Kiokote cheetahs as well. But one can never be too safe, and perhaps She knows some reason why we'll need them." He adds a last 'doom is nigh' sentiment, not entirely on purpose, but one can never be too cautious or have too much protection.
Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Seashell  

sheepcakes

Cosmic Bauble

42,750 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

LOLLI qAq

Questionable Baby

24,800 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 pm
A story a story! Let me tell you a story: Pale eyes glanced nervously at the small gathering of foals and adults sitting in a half-hazard circle about her. A lump was collecting in her throat and a fine sheen of sweat was collecting under the hair of her hide. Taking a deep breath, the brown doe offered a slim smile to her audience and nodded at them. "A-are we ready?" The tone with which she asked had a feel of uncertainty that left a lingering sense that the doe wasn't really ready herself. Still, she closed her eyes and letting the calm before the story fill her- She began.

"It is said that all we know came from a seed. From many seeds. One seed each grew our lands- the Kimeti swamp, the Kiokote grasslands, the Acha dunes, and all of the lands for kin to flourish and grow. For each type of kin a seed flourished into the sacs of our first ancestors. Indeed there was even a seed each from which all other animals, those which we call our pets and companions, grew. The wind carried those seeds to their destinations where they settled into the skin of creation and grew as we see the trees do now. We see and know of their growth. We live them and feel them and they nourish all.

This story is not about those seeds. This is a tale about the seed that didn't land. I am to tell you of the greedy cloud that swallowed up a stray seed and what grew within its belly.

One of the seeds was gobbled up by a passing cloud that had become jealous of the love and attention we on the ground received from the Swampmother. In one big glup the seed was left to settle within the belly of the angry fluff where it did what it was meant to do. It grew. From inside of the cloud the seedling grew and as it grew the cloud became sick. Desperate to rid itself of the ill-thought out meal it sought out the Motherfather for help. Searching far and wide he came across a turtle alone on a mountain peak. He knew that of all the animals the turtle was the wisest and most generous for they live for so very long, so he plead with the turtle for help. The turtle opened it's eyes slowly and spoke to the cloud: "Why not rain and wash the seed out?"

Seeing nothing wrong with the idea, the cloud tried it. He pushed and he puffed and he rained down onto the mountain and into the streams. Still the seed remained more healthy from the nourishing waters.

Angry the cloud returned to the turtle who replied: "Why don't you heat the seed out? Warm yourself in the sun's rays."

Heeding the turtle's advice the cloud warmed itself in the sun. The glimmering light only warmed the leaves of the growing plant. Even more angry than before the cloud returned to the turtle who now wore a quiet smile on it's face. Before the cloud could demand an explanation the turtle nodded slowly at the rolling sound of thunder coming from the violent cloud who was now gray and swollen with rage. "Why do you not simply scare the seed out with your loud, loud, thunder?" With that advice, the turtle smiled wider and retreated into his shell where the cloud was unable to reach him.

Unable to hold his frustrations and violence in any longer the cloud erupted with thunder and lightning. As his storm raged he grew in size. The cloud grew and grew and grew until suddenly!

Pop!

But it wasn't a seed that came out. Or a plant grown from a seed. In place of the plant that had been growing from the cloud's belly there was a long sinuous creature with a body made of glistening scales and a mouth filled with sharp teeth. As the tale began, so does it end. With a gulp.
The large serpent gathered the cloud into his mouth and swallowed. As the sky fluff filled the snake's stomach it sprouted large, feathery, wings on its back and was gifted flight.

To this day the feathered serpents live and hide on the distant mountain tops feeding on the clouds that gave them life. There they shall remain.
"

Opening her eyes, Reticent Smiles pushed herself to her feet. Her story finished she backed away from the group and stuttered out a rushed and quiet "t-t-t-thank you." Then she fled.
Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Reticent Smiles, but she will be gifting it to her father Grounded Leaf, who is also owned by me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 pm
A story a story! Let me tell you a story: One day while out exploring the outskirts of the Swamp, a simple buck named Sunlit Journey had come upon a cluster of beautiful green feathers. "These would make a wonderful decoration to my den." Enthralled by the thought, the young buck grabbed several plumes off of the mass of feathers and began the short trek back to his shelter. He hadn't realized though, that the feathers he took were from the back of a large serpentine creature.

Nearly half way back to the safety of his den, Sun couldn't help but feel he was being watched by something. Only turning his head at the sound of crunching twigs, mostly his doing, Sunlit Journey kept moving forward. He stopped abruptly at the sound of nearby branches snapping off their tree trunks. Slowly turning once more, the creature finally made itself known to him. A large green feathered serpent stood before him, glaring at the green in the bucks mouth. It was angered by the thievery unknowingly commited by the red buck.

Unfortunetly for the serpent, Sun was determined to take these feathers back with him. So, quickly and without a second thought, Sunlit Journey made a mad dash for his den, never looking back to see the feathery serpent pursue him. Sun could see it, his home, only a short run away. Suddenly, cries of panic could be heard from behind him, forcing his head to turn back. It was then that he stopped, to see the creature stuck inbetween two large trees.

Seeing it in this position, Sun couldn't help but feel both sad for its current predicament and curious about its history and what exactly it was. Knowing the creature might still attack him, Journey decided to come to its aid. The feathered serpent felt a tug as Sun tried to pull him out from between the trees. Struggling to keep the serpent's whipping tail in his mouth, Sun pulled harder and harder, as he began to feel the serpent move and slowly wriggle free from its tree prison. Sunlit Journey then pulled even harder, untill he fell back, pulling the creature free.

In a quick motion, Sun got up to his feet and prepared to run, waiting for the feathered serpent to make its move. Sun was suprised though to see it pull out more of its feather and give them to him, appearently as a sign of thanks. Warily, Sun moved closer to take them, seeing now sign of danger in the creature's eyes, he took them, nodding to it.

"What was that? And why hasn't one ever been seen before?" These questions would remain unanswered, since they were creatures of old that kept themselves well hidden, most likely above the trees or outside the Swamp, where many kimeti dare not tread. After watching the feathered serpent return to its sleeping nest, Sun returned to his den and immediately began writing about the creature he saw, thinking he may want to tell someone about it one day.
Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for:Sunlit Journey  

Sarano_Krem

Feral Knight

13,615 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: Knight 100

Muffinsbaby

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am
User ImageA lone snake slithered among the new grass of spring, her Autumn colors visible among the tall blades. Her soft voice floated on the breeze to those listening. "You are lissstening to the ssstory of a love ssso deep, it could essscape no boundary," she breathed, her path leading her to a buck of matching colors, golden eyes watching as she slithered her way onto his back.

User Image"Yes," His deep voice drawled, "What she says is true. I have travelled through all of the known land, seen every sight there is to see, heard every story there is to hear. And I am here to share one of those stores with you - a love story greater than any other. This love was truely the greatest, greater even then Father Sun and Mother Moon's love-a story for another time-, for this love overcame all obsacles.

Once upon a time, there was a crane. This was no ordinary crane, you see. This crane was a step above the rest, for this was the original Crane, made by the Motherfather. She was graceful, proud, patient, everything a crane embodies and more. She was also the largest; her wings measured three times the size of the cranes you see today. She was called Beauty of the Skies, and a beauty she was. Feathers as light as the air, or as dark as the night, call as soft as a cloud or clear as a bright blue sky. There was none to match her.

Opposite the crane, there was a snake, who dwelled on the ground, lusting for the freedom of the air. He was large, larger than modern watersnakes, like the crane, and his scales shimmered, reflecting the colors of that around him. One moment he was green as the grass, and another he was the rusted copper of the earth, or the murky brown of the mud. His heart was cold, his thoughts vengeful, and he spent his days in the dirt plotting his revenge on those that held their dwelling in the sky. He was called Swamp Marr.

Swamp Marr wanted revenge on the Motherfather for creating him in such away. He plotted to take down her most beautiful and prized possession, Beauty of the Skies. He watched her, day and night as she soared above him, his fangs salivating with the waited bite. He was going to bite her, release his venom, and not let go until she uttered the last cry of death. He followed her, over land and water, awaiting for the inevitable landing.

And land she did, on the edge of a clear pool, full of fish and surrounded by lush grass. Swamp Marr knew it was his time to strike. Slowly he had slithered closer, silent as the night, and poised himself for his opportunity. But Beauty of the Skies knew his plan. She had watched him as he followed her and inquired to the Motherfather.

'Go ahead and strike, Swamp Marr' her voice rang out. This surprised him, so much so that he forgot his plans.

'How do you know who I am?' He asked, 'You of the sky do not care about us of the ground.'

'You have grown bitter. You assume we do not, but you are wrong. I confess I am jealous of you, of your scales. I am visible in the skies, but you, there were times I lost you on the ground because you blended so well.' She told him, surprising him more.

Instead of growing ever more angry at the crane, he felt his heart warming towards this creature. She was jealous of him just as he was jealous of her? He'd never fathomed as much. He forgot his revenge and grew facsinated by Beauty of the Skies, he began to admire her as other animals did. He let her go, but he continued to watch her, though this time it was with growing admiration.

Beauty of the Skies also watched Swamp Marr, with the same admiration. She would frequently land to talk to the snake, standing hours on her leg while he slithered around her.They enjoyed each other's company, and lamented their parting. Every day they met, soon learning that they were in love. They continued their days in each others company, but their nights alone.

One day, they went to the Motherfather and confessed of their love, this both confused and pleased them. Beauty of the Skies told them of her wish for offspring; she longed to be a mother but knew it could not happen naturaly with whom she loved. Swamp Marr told them of how he wanted nothing more than for Beauty of the Skies to be happy. The Motherfather dismissed them, but their pleas did not fall on deaf ears.

When they got back to their usual conveining place, there was a nest with six eggs inside. Their hearts were filled with joy at the discovery. Their love finally blossomed into something more. When the eggs finally hatched, what wonders emerged~! They were indeed snakes, but their shimmering scales faded into soft feathers. Each had wings of a bird. Both Swamp Marr and Beauty of the skies were overjoyed with their children. They had the freedom to live where they wanted, unhindered.

And that, my friends, is the story of one of the mythical creatures I seen," He concluded with a smile. It was one of his favorite stories to tell.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Boldness Goes Where None Dare  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 am
A story a story! Let me tell you a story: Bonecrusher's face was blank as ever as she gazed over the small assembly of colts and fillies before her. The spoils of her latest hunt had been too much for her to eat alone, and she knew they would not keep; when the group of young foragers had come upon her solitary dinner party and asked her to share, she had said nothing, replying only with a shrug.

Now, satiated, they wanted a story. Large eyes were fixed on her expectantly from every angle, and Crush saw no reason to refuse. She flicked her tail over the ground as she sat back on her haunches; then, without so much as a cough or an introductory murmur, she launched into the tale, her voice low and rumbling.

"In the past, before the Kin ever slumbered in the fog of dreaming, the Motherfather set about creating all of the other creatures that would inhabit the lands She had made. She gave life to the songbird, swan and crane, who would soar through the heavens; the eaglehound and the lynx She made, and the mongoose and the owlcat, to hunt small creatures of the ground and trees; the foxbun, turtle, caiman and watersnake She made to go upon the ground and in the water, fast and slow. And all the other creatures She made as well, in their many shapes, to live in the swamp and in the lands far beyond."

"We know that already," came a complaint from within the circle. A gangly colt, still too young to understand the value of patience, frowned up at Crush. "This story is boring. Tell us a better one!" But the doe only regarded him stoically.

"Wait," she commanded.

"The Motherfather saw that Her labors were completed, and She was weary from them. But just as She prepared to rest, She heard a soft voice sobbing in the swamp. She did not know why any of Her children should be unhappy, since She had created them in the best way that She knew how; so She searched through the swamp for the one who was crying. Eventually She found him, a small mud-snake, his scales brown and his appearance quite plain.

'Why do you cry?' She asked him. 'I have given you a place in this world, a home that was made for you, and you for it; you are swift, and wickedly clever, enough to make your own way in the mud of my Swamp. Are you not satisfied?' The snake bowed his head, tears still falling from his eyes to the ground.

'Motherfather,' he began, 'it is by Your grace that I have come to be, and for that I am grateful. But when I look upon my brothers and sisters, the owlcat and the swan, I cannot help but envy them, for they have feathers to keep them warm when the chill of winter comes. I have nothing but my scales to protect me, and I fear that I may freeze.'

In her kindness, the Motherfather took pity on the snake. She nodded Her great head, and in an instant, where once the snake had had cold scales, in their place grew feathers just like those of a bird. The snake turned his head to and fro, marvelling at the Motherfather's work. But soon his face grew sad once more, and fresh tears flowed from his eyes.

'Why do you cry?' asked the Motherfather. 'I have given you feathers, beautiful and soft, to provide you with warmth. Are you not satisfied?'

'Oh, Motherfather,' sighed the snake, 'it is thanks to Your generosity that I will survive the winter, and for that I am grateful. But when I look upon my brothers and sisters, the eaglehound and the lynx, I cannot help but envy them, for they are so much larger and stronger than I. I fear that when they see my lovely feathers, they will try to gobble me up, and I will not be able to hide.'

The Motherfather understood the snake's fear, and resolved to help him. With the stamping of one mighty hoof, She bade the small snake grow and grow, until he was nearly as large as the Kin themselves would be. The snake twisted and stretched this way and that, admiring the power of his new form. But before long, his head drooped low, and it was clear to see that he was unhappy.

'Why do you cry?' asked the Motherfather. 'I have made you to grow large and strong, so that no other creature of the swamp will try to make a meal of you. Are you not satisfied?'

'Motherfather,' the snake wept, 'it is through Your wisdom that I will not be preyed upon by other creatures, and for that I am grateful. But when I look upon my brothers and sisters, the crane and the moth, I cannot help but envy them, for they have been blessed with the ability to fly. It pains my heart to know that I will never soar above the treetops as they do.'

The Motherfather had already given many gifts to the snake, but it was in Her nature to desire Her children's happiness. She lashed her tail once, twice, three times, and a magnificent pair of wings sprouted from the snake's back, larger and finer than any songbird's. The snake preened and rustled his new wings proudly, and the Motherfather felt that She had done well. She took the form of a crane, and made to depart from the snake's presence."

In one smooth motion, Bonecrusher rose to her feet.

"But the snake, with his new wings, took flight after her."

She prowled slowly from one end of the circle to the other as she spoke, her movements deliberate and fluid, the power of her limbs evident in each step she took.

"And just like that--"

Without warning, Bonecrusher lunged forward at the circle of fillies and colts, snapping her jaws shut with an audible clack! The little ones scuttled backward, squealing in surprise; the doe seemed satisfied at this, though she didn't quite smile. She returned to her seated position as though nothing had happened and waited for the startled youngsters to settle down once more, murmuring amongst themselves and giggling nervously.

"... The snake tried to swallow the Motherfather whole," she continued, "but of course She was too quick, and evaded his jaws easily. Her anger thundered in the heavens as She roared:

'How dare you turn on me, when it was I who gave you life, gave you feathers and wings and your great size?'

'Motherfather, it was You who said that I was clever, and wickedly so,' said the snake. 'I have been nothing but what You created me to be!'

The Motherfather's anger was doubled, and She wished to strip the treacherous snake of all the kindnesses She had shown him; however, gifts such as those, freely and willingly given, are not so easy to take back. The snake had been mistaken, however, to think himself greater than our Motherfather, and without a moment's hesitation She banished him from the Swamp, to the distant lands beyond the edge of the sky, in retribution for his betrayal.

But it is said that the Motherfather, even in Her fury, was not without compassion. The winged snake was banished from Her lands, true, but he and all those who came after him were offered the chance at redemption: if one of the winged snakes somehow proved itself trustworthy, they would be allowed entry to the Swamp once more."

Crush was silent for many moments, and the circle of young Kimeti realized that the tale had come to an abrupt end. They departed in clusters of twos and threes, jostling and tumbling over each other, laughing and squealing and hissing off into the early evening of the swamp-- playing "snake". Before long, the sounds of their hooves and voices had faded into nothing.

But one filly had stayed behind. She shuffled her hooves nervously where she sat, staring at the doe with curiosity that outweighed her fear.

"Did any of them ever do it? Did they come back to the Swamp?" she asked.

Before the doe could respond, a chill wind kicked up in the trees overhead, shaking the leaves on their branches. The rustling sound they made sounded almost like the hissing of a great serpent-- or perhaps it was the fluttering of huge, feathered wings overhead? Whatever she heard, the filly was spooked, and she scrambled to her feet quickly, dashing after her fellows with a cry of "wait for me!"

Bonecrusher watched her go in silence. It was just as well that the filly had left, for she had no ready answer to give.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Bonecrusher

Hedjrebl

Anxious Nerd

Sinbari

Handsome Reveler

17,550 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:12 am

Wallow surveyed his audience, a decent-sized group of fillies and colts, wide-eyed with wonder and following his every move as he sauntered back and forth in front of them. And why wouldn't they look so rapt with attention? He was the greatest daredevil around (at least in his humble opinion), and he often attracted such impressionable younglings, much to the chagrin of any clingy parents. To them he was brave, fearless, and an adult who actually approved of mudbaths! He'd just been instructing them on the important basics of thrill-seeking, and went on to his next topic.

"Now," he announced to the group, as he stopped his pacing and eyed them. "Eventually you'll want to find yourself a suitable familiar for your travels. Even a great adventurer needs a sidekick! Have any of you thought of what you might try to acquire for your future companions?" He glanced to each one; a few mentioned varied birds for their flight, others professed interest in more dextrous familiars like foxbuns, but the majority (possibly to impress him) professed only having an interest in snakes, lynxes and other hunters.

One quiet filly in the back thought for a moment, and spoke up. "But, if they're so important, why don't YOU have a familiar?"

While the others just rolled their eyes and muttered how it was obvious he didn't NEED one, as he was just that awesome, Wallow grinned. "An excellent question," he answered, with an approving nod, "but it has a simple answer. I have been looking for the perfect companion, but I have not yet found it. But lately, I've been searching for..." he let the phrase trail off as his audience leaned in more closely, "...a legend." He waited for their oohs and ahhs to fade, before continuing.

"Perhaps some of you heard the rumors of the odd new creatures appearing in our swamp, giant winged snakes that, while rare, have seemingly appeared from nowhere." He received a mix of slow nods and shakes of the head, but every face was the picture of morbid curiosity, regardless. "Well, nothing that any of you might have heard can compare to the true nature of these beasts. The serpents are so large, they could eat almost any other familiar you might have in mind whole. Their wings are strong enough to carry them wherever they wish to go, and yet rival the beauty of the most beautiful songbird or crane. And if that wasn't enough, their fangs are more fearsome than any predator you can imagine."

"Wh-where are they coming from?" One tiny voice quavered, eyes so large by now they threatened to pop out of his head. "...A-and why are they coming here?" He didn't seem too thrilled at the idea of these over-sized snakes coming to their swamp. If these things were big enough to eat their familiars, what would stop them from trying to eat a Kimeti their size?

"Well, that's the sort of questions many are asking," Wallow replies. He sits down, finally, and as he puts his "serious story face" on, the group hushes to let him finish the rest of his tale without interruption.

"It's generally told that they come from amazing forests far, far away, similar in some ways to our home and yet very different in others. The land is rife with vegetation and plantgrowth, rivers run through it, and their wildlife rivals ours in color and variety. But that is where the similarities end. Where we have the mangroves, the cypresses, and other great trees indeed, their trees are so large and numerous, that hardly any light, nor even the rain that falls from above reaches the lowest parts of the forest floor at all. The trees themselves rise up as far as the eye can see, their thick canopies seeming to reach for the stars, what you can see of them. Most animals, even cats, live IN the trees instead of on the ground! But even higher up in the network of trees, the legends say, lived the winged serpents. The rest of the forest feared them, and for good reason, as they could silently slither down, like a normal snake, and yet swoop down out of nowhere with the accuracy of a bird of prey, snatching up almost any unsuspecting creature for lunch, and even knocking the large cats off their perches if they so pleased.

"But it was all a game to the feathered snakes, and it got to the point where they hunted for pleasure as much as they would for a meal. But it was no challenge anymore, and their food supply was dwindling due to their sport. At some point a few of them decided, partly because they somehow knew they'd hurt the forest's balance, and partly because they grew bored of having nothing to hunt, they should leave the forests behind. And so some say they've traversed the great lands of our acha and kiokote cousins to come here, to a new home. It's hoped that they've learned their lesson, and will temper their ways here."

"...But what if they don't?" another young filly, braving to interrupt him, asked.

Wallow smiled, not seeming to mind. "Rumors say the Motherfather has also helped to humble them as they've arrived, and that some are even bonding to Kin as companions, to help them learn the ways of the swamp, and to help them begin to respect other creatures from now on. I for one believe those rumors, and you all should too." He was glad to see the worried looks leaving most of their faces, as they started to sagely nod at his wisdom.

"The feathered serpents will be looking forward to the challenges here, and looking forward to their continued hunts, you know," Wallow finished, while looking at his now more relaxed group, "and they'll need brave Kin who aren't afraid to reign them in should they lose their way again. Myself, well, I hope to be one of those Kin." He stood up once more, and grinned hugely, giving them all a big wink. "And not just because they sound completely awesome like myself, of course."

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Wallow  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 am
Blood of Mine loved legends. As soon as she heard any new tales, she begged for them to be told again and again until she had gobbled up every delicious morsel and could recite it just as well as the original bard, if not better. She collected them, somewhere deep in her psyche. And almost as much as she loved hearing them, she loved to exercise her recitative muscles.

It was a warm afternoon when a group of young swampgoats found themselves rolling in the grass beside her home cave, enjoying a lazy afternoon. They were fairly frequent visitors, and no surprise or bother to Blood – on the contrary, she loved having them around her home. They, too, knew her well, and were quite familiar with her love for legends – so when opportunities to play became boring, it eventually came to pass that they asked her for a story.

“Please, we love stories! You can tell us any one you like!” Blood of Mine couldn’t very well refuse, so she’d set aside her own chores and come out into the clearing with the young ones to acquiesce to their wishes. Deciding on a tale, she took a deep breath, and began…

“Not so long ago, there was a kimeti named Splendor. His coat was beautifully white, faintly speckled with gold across his muzzle and back and his haunches. His horns were large, branching horns, and had a miraculous sort of sparkle or shine to them. Most impressive of all, he also had two wings reaching from either shoulder, which he stretched out to show off to the other kimeti. He did not need to brag, as he knew that others were jealous of his beautiful wings, and constantly held a smug expression across his face.

“These lovely wings, however, were not ideal. Too small to carry him through the air, Splendor often found himself frustrated when a fellow swampgoat, annoyed and tired of his arrogance, attempted to challenge him by asking him to demonstrate his lovely wings in flight. Splendor refused, either letting it roll of his back and offering jokes and excuses, or becoming angry when the issue was pressed; he never admitted that his wings were not large enough to hold his weight, that he could not pluck a leaf from the tallest tree in the swamp, could not soar under the sun’s rays with the birds…

“But he longed to do so. Not only for more bragging rights, though of course that would be a plus, but also for his own pleasure. He found it a most cruel torture to be so tempted, to be gifted with wings that could not provide the flight they were intended for. He refused to believe that there could be no way to remedy the ‘mistake,’ and so he quietly searched for a way to alter the reality that was his. He attempted to practice flying, to build the muscles, but to no avail. He ate any fruits, berries, leaves, nuts, or other foods that were rumored to help growth – but only his gut would fill out. He collected the feathers of birds who could actually fly, hoping they could somehow fulfill his wishes if he were surrounded by them, or looking for the feather of the famed Luckybird, or even the mysterious Chischi. Alas, he found nothing that could work.

“One day, as he lazed by a pond feeling particularly like wallowing in his sorrow, he heard an odd noise nearby; a slick, slithery, rustling along the shallow-watered grasses nearby tickled his ears. He lifted his head to search the grasses, but he heard a voice before he found the perpetrator.” Blood of Mine was clearly loving the story, watching the small fillies and colts and craning her head a bit to watch them as she continued, shifting character.

“ ‘How sssad you ssseem, ssslumped in the grasssssy watersss~’ “ Blood was delighted to find that she had to do little to create suspense for her listeners as she continued, “Splendor slowly brought his knees up, peering into the grass as he prepared to jump and run, should he need. He wondered whether he should respond, but the female beat him to it.

“ ‘What iss it that you crave? What causssess sssuch sssorrow?’ Each of her sentences ended in an implied sort of giggle that caused a shiver to run over Splendor’s spine. She was circling him, her speeds varying so that he could never quite catch sight of his uninvited guest. He wanted to respond, but he was unsure how; his voice was caught in his throat as he wavered between the truth, and a dismissal.

“ ‘Ssso sssilent, now… How unlike you~’ This time, she giggled audibly –“ Blood of Mine demonstrated with a sinister giggle that traveled from the low register to one higher, then ended in the middle ground. The smallest filly of the group whimpered, though no one seemed to notice.

“ ‘How do you know what is of my character, or not?’ Splendor’s voice held up surprisingly well, strong despite the fear that he wished he could ignore. It was more from not knowing who was following or what was happening, but it was a fear that was closing itself around his heart nonetheless. Splendor raised himself to stand, his ears followed the sound of movement, but he was often unsure whether or not he accurately followed it or not as it was.

“ ‘Who doess not know of Ssssssplendor~’ The voice clearly savored his name, and a smaller giggle than the earlier followed. She made a valid point – he had certainly done little to ever conceal his existence to anyone… He’d never exactly imagined that there might be a reason to do so. He found himself with no response for the voice following him. It seemed to matter little, however, as she spoke again after only a brief pause.

“ ‘Not to worry. I know what it isss that you ssssseek.’ The voice broke off and at the other side of the pond, a small rustle of leaves caused Splendor to look up, where he was forced to notice an abnormally large snake dipping its head from a tree to meet him on his eye level. She was a deep maroon-red, black around her eyes, gold along her sides, her belly a stark white. He gasped and his back leg faltered, and he shivered in a sort of disgust – Splendor was very much not a fan of snakes – though he did fairly well at recovering quickly, and narrowed his eyes at the serpent to seem harshly sturdy.

“ ‘Ssssscared?’ She grinned, and Splendor snarled. He growled his reply from between his teeth, ‘More like disgusted.’ She was not amused, her eyes narrow as she warned, ‘Watch that sssslippery tongue of yourss~ You’re ssspeaking to a potential friend…’ He choked on his own breath for a moment as she swiped at him, an slightly threatening chuckle following her tongue as it slithered out for a small taste of the air. She began to pull back towards the tree’s branches ever-so-slightly…

“ ‘You wish to follow, yessss? To reach the heightss of treessss, as the birdss do?’ Another chuckle, though this was chopped short, deep in her throat, and she curved her neck and watched him from a higher angle, somehow almost blending against the bright green leaves. Splendor unknowingly nodded just once, a sag in his proud, rigid-necked stature.

“ ‘I could help, you know~’ Of course, he didn’t know, but that was beside the point. Just the mention of help had him intrigued. He shifted uncomfortably as she continued, ‘Few know my ssstrength… But I am willing to share what powersss I have with you…’ The serpent lowered again, ‘For a pricsssse~’ She narrowed her eyes at Splendor, who blinked with furrowed brows back.

“ ‘What… price?’ Splendor had a feeling that he would not like whatever she was going to ask for. He generally did not like to forfeit any of his possessions; he could only imagine what it would be that she might ask for. His collection of feathers? Some of the gems that he kept to decorate his grove? She didn’t let him wonder about it for long.

“ ‘It won’t be ssimple,’ she dropped into the pond, lifting her head to keep it dry as she slithered to the side opposite Splendor, ‘Thingss like thisss never are…’ She turned to raise an expressive brow at him, stretching to his height once more. When he had no response, she continued…

“ ‘I require your hornsss~!’ She lashed forward on the last word, a tiny giggle following as she watched the horror cross over Splendor’s face. His horns?! How could he possibly give up his horns? Surely… they could grow back, couldn’t they? Or perhaps not – he had never seen anyone lose a horn before, let alone both… He glared at her, thought wheeling in his head… What was the cost of flight?

“ ‘Fine!’ Splendor spat the answer at her finally, and she only giggled again.

“ ‘Goooood.’ She began to lower herself as she concluded, ‘Find me in the clearing thirty pacssessss easst of here tomorrow. I shall give you until evening, as the shadowsss begin to fall~’

“She gave a satisfied last laugh as she slithered away. When her tail had finally flickered out of sight, Splendor stomped the ground beneath him. His horns! He could never give up his horns… He would need to start searching right away. The only solution was to find horns close enough to his own, and to disguise them… and himself.”

The young kids were leaning forth at this point, and Blood had to hold back a smirk as she continued – what fun story-telling was! “Splendor began to search the wide swamp, gathering any lost antlers that he could find that were even remotely similar to his own. It was difficult – not many lost horns were out there – many make a point to not lose their horns – and there were certainly very few that were in any way like his own horns. Luckily, there were some aged skulls at the edges of the swamp, usually tucked away where no one would really pay much attention… Still few matched his own horns, but he managed to find a few that he figured were good candidates.

“From there, he decided on the horns he was going to use, and broke the cleanly-fallen base off of one (a clean break would certainly raise the serpent’s suspicions). He then found a bog near his own home where he knew of some plants that gave off shimmery spores when kicked or generally fussed with.” The young swampgoats were leaning now, intrigued to see how Splendor would try to get out of his mess. Blood did allow herself to smirk, watching their faces glow as they tried to pull Splendor through with only their combined wills. Blood leaned toward them to keep up their excitement.

“The bog water near his home was algae-full, and he used the slime to his advantage. Splendor used a long twig to pull the algae out, horns laying beside the water, and dipped the slimy, gross mess over the horns to create the trails of sparkle that were on his own horns. As soon as he’d dipped as much as he deemed necessary over the horns, he quickly rushed them to one of the plants nearby and hit it with the horns –“ Blood gasped for effect, then slightly sighed with the follow—“it worked! The shimmering spores stuck! And he was able to continue his work on each side of both antlers.

“When he’d finished with his pretend-horns, he brought them back to his grove and leaned them against some bushes to dry. He had a turtle shell which he could use as a basket for the horns, but he wanted more to obscure the horns, and distract the snake, only long enough for her to reshape his wings and release him. But how?” Blood of Mine grinned as the kids gasped, waiting to find out.

“Lining the closed-in part of his grove were all of the feathers he had collected in his hopeful journey – of course! He would use those to cushion and display the horns! He would even sacrifice a few of his own feathers, fallen or plucked, to hopefully lend a feel of honesty to the arrangement. He piled them in and placed them carefully so that the colors mystified and attracted the eyes. He then took his carefully-crafted horns and laid them inside, arranging his own feathers amongst them, even covering some pieces of the horns, a hopefully-clever disguise…

“Splendor had worked well, into the next day, with only a small amount of sleep during the night allotted. When the sun finally began to descend in the sky, he worked his way towards the clearing he was to find. He made sure to be early, and placed the turtle shell in the middle of the clearing, then took to the shadows to hide his own figure – favoring low-hanging trees to obscure the view of his still-intact horns… He waited…”

Blood of Mine watched the little ones as all of them waited for the serpent to approach… “It was well into the evening hours when the slithering being from the day before reached the clearing. She approached, quite luckily, at an angle across from Splendor’s beginning hiding place.

“ ‘I sssee you brought my requessst… gooood…’ She made her way to the basket, but was not yet looking at it. Instead, she gazed around for Splendor to show himself. ‘Where are you, dearessst Sssssplendor~?’

“The kimeti shifted in the shadows, peering out at her, being careful to be sure that his antler were hidden. ‘I am too ashamed at the loss of my horns…’ The serpent peered back and suggested, ‘You will have to become accusstomed at sssome point… Who better to firsst approach than she who requesssted the change?’

“ ‘No!’ Splendor snapped back, offended and wounded as he should have been, had he actually given up his magnificent horns. ‘I need time… to heal…’ The serpent clicked and flicked her tongue, shaking her enormous head just once.

“ ‘Poor thing…’ It almost sounded as if she actually had pity. She turned and curled herself around the turtle shell, her eyes leaving Splendor for a moment as they flicked to see the antlers in the shell. ‘You know…’ she seemed slightly distracted before finally looking back at him, anxious that she may have noticed, ‘I may need to sssee you for thiss’sspell to work~’ Splendor gasped a moment, hiding behind a large tree trunk.

“ ‘Please… do the best you can from here…’ Splendor hardly poked his head out to watch, but her eyes were still on him. Her eyes were narrowed, but it seemed more in curiosity.

“ ‘Well… asss you wish… Ssstep out to a clear ssspace, at leassst…’ The serpent turned and circled her newly-acquired shell once more, though Splendor could not tell what she might be doing it for. He stepped from behind the trunk into a more open space, though still behind low-hanging branches. The serpent circled twice more, faster each time, before pulling up and striking forward towards Splendor’s hiding place, eyes glowing a bright, burning blue, tongue hisssssing more than he’d heard before, skin along the ridges of her head and the sides of her neck rippling and flaring. He jumped, but held his ground as she kept her distance.

“Splendor wasn’t sure exactly what was happening, but his entire being felt lighter… His eyes became hazy and his chest felt constrained… He was scared, but sure that when all was clear again, he would have his beautiful wings! A flare stretched out over the clearing and stretched toward the fast-retreating sun, and then all was quiet.

“Splendor’s eyes were closed by the end, and he slowly blinked them open. He felt… heavy, tired, sluggish. He tried to roll himself up, and felt that he did so with ease, his wings stretching out – it felt wonderful! But… he was not so tall as he had been… He looked about him to see how far his wings were stretching, and found that they were smaller than before, not even yet touching the tree he’d been standing beside!

“ ‘What’ssss happened?!’ Splendor was startled at his own speech! That hissing… it sounded just like the serpent’s! She chuckled, then giggled as he looked along the rest of his body, finding that the wings were her only appendages he had anymore, feathers stretching beyond them and onto the top of his body and his head, while slippery scales covered the belly of his now long, and thin body.

“ ‘You think that you can trick me?! Ssslip ssome fake hornsss passt my sharp eyesss!’ She openly cackled this time, head bowing quickly as she rushed to meet him face-to-face, hers nearly three-times the size of his, if not more!” All of the young ones gasped as Blood leaned down to look closely at their own faces, her eyes shimmering in what could certainly be considered a fabulous acting job.

“ ‘Perhapsss you will think better of it nexssst time~’ She glared, fire burning behind her gaze, before she snatched at the ground beside him and powerfully slithered back to wherever it was that she came from.” Blood of Mine whipped herself around the way that the serpent would have, then turned back to see the tiredly deflated colts and fillies behind her.

“Splendor was left to his new life as a feathered serpent, maneuvering his new body around the swamp, and finding no comfort. He had no friends he could turn to, as he had thought himself above all of his peers. He found himself unable, or unwilling to approach any kimeti for shame of his own state. Many kimeti, he discovered, thought that he had disappeared or died. A few had seen the flash, and rumors spread that he had been made a star, that he had instantly disintegrated like bark in a flash-fire… No one ever discovered what became of him…

“Except me, of course.” Blood of Mine winked at the small ones, who chuckled, not even thinking to question her authority on the subject. She chuckled, “It’s getting late. You should all head home, find some supper and get some sleep.” She walked along and nuzzled each of the kids, and they trotted off obediently to their homes. Blood smirked, then turned back to her spices. A sound distracted her after a moment, then something began to crawl up her leg, and wrap itself comfortably around her neck, resting its head atop hers.

“Hello, my boy.” The feathered serpent atop her head hissed a hello, dozed as she continued to crush her herbs.

Entering to win a Feathered Serpent for: Blood of Mine

[[ My goodness, this became so long... I'm so sorry, I don't even understand how it became so long. If it's too long, just disqualify me, I totally understand. x.x'; Apparently my creative juices decided that it was time to flow... idek, I'm sorry. ;~;' ]]

Mika_Yumi

Dapper Dabbler

Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas