Bedeinka curled in her corner of the females den. It was becoming rather crowded her lately. She noticed that king Nahasi had been coming down to see the from the main tunnel to see Eris the rainbow lioness a lot. She was worried about their attraction together, but quickly realized that it was nothing but a friendship.

There was another lioness she was now becoming worried about. Her name Mura. Mura was a sweet young thing, however she had an obvious crush on the king. When ever the king came down to talk to Eris or Bedeinka Mura would get embarrassed and start stuttering. The young king didn’t need a bumbling idiot after him. He had more important things to worry about.

Sadly the king couldn’t control who liked him and who didn’t. She would have to take measures into her own hands. She decided to have a one on one conversation with the young lioness to see if she would back off the king.

Mura was playing with a firefly that escaped it’s capture. She adored fireflies more than anything. She watched as it fluttered around. Carefully she pawed at it. As she played her thoughts went to the king. How kind he was and how amazing he was. She hadn’t spoke to him yet, but she wished to. It was obvious to her that he would never be attracted to her, but she really wanted her feelings to be known.

It was hard keeping her feelings to herself down here. She wished that he could just know. She didn’t expect anything to come out of it, just a recognition that she had feelings too.

She let out a loud sigh. Some times she wondered if she even belonged here. She occasionally dreamed about the outside world where she could truly see the world. It would be amazing to be like Eris and actually live in the outside. Someday when she wasn’t needed she would go out there, but here she had duties. Duties she had to take care of.

Being a brotherhood mother wasn’t as easy as some would believe. They had to watch cubs all day and were given jobs when there weren’t enough males to do them. They would often time be required to hunt or clean the meat. It was tough, but Mura didn’t mind doing it. In fact she rather enjoyed it. If she left she would miss helping others out.

Bedeinka walked gracefully toward Mura. She, being of royal blood, had learned how to properly act, walk and behave. It was difficult being around common folk, but it was something she would have to get used to again. She used to have her own private den, but she gave it up, due to being lonely. She was now finding that she was regretting this decision.

“Hello there Mura. My name is Bedeinka. You probably know me as Nahasi’s aunt.” she said with a small grin. Of course she would know who she was, but the question was would she give the proper respect. This girl was odd. She was playing with a firefly, what an odd thing to do with your spare time.

Mura say up immediately and gave Bedeinka a bow. She had seen the female come to live with them, but she couldn’t believe that she was actually talking to her. She wondered what she did to deserve such a great honor. “It- It is an honor to meet you.” Mura said with a weak smile. “I-is there something I can help you with.”

Oh how embarrassing! The aunt of Nahasi sees me playing with a firefly. How could this possible get worse?

“Dear, there is something very important I want you to do for me.” She grinned mischievously. “You see poor Nahasi is so young right now and he could get confused very very easily, like boy can be. Having a girl like you wanting him could confuse him. He could never love you. I mean look at you. You are not anything special, hardly worthy of his attention.”

She examined the lioness from head to toe. When Ajani picked a brother hood mother to bare his cubs he would have to pick one that was strong, yet beautiful. This lioness was strong but she had wicked markings and it reminded her of a demon. Those markings wouldn’t due for a king. No, neither would the markings on Eris.

“It would be improper for you to swoon over your king. Instead maybe you can find another brother who will be kind enough to let you bare their cubs. I am sure there are plenty around who would.” She said with a smile. “You are very strong after all, nothing like some of these pathetic leopards and cheetahs. You’ll find a brother who will want your cubs, I just know it.”

Mura didn’t like her, she didn’t like her one bit. She was a cruel old lioness who didn’t know when to shut her mouth. She knew she couldn’t say anything to the lioness, or she would get in trouble with the royals. Why couldn’t she bare Nahasi’s cubs, she thought as she stared at Bedienka.

“Thank you for your suggestion. I think I’ll try and make my own choices though if you don’t mind.” She said cooly. It wasn’t often that Mura lost her temper, but she found this lioness really pissed her off.

Her father reminded her all the time that she was good enough to bare any males cubs. He would never lie to her, unlike this lioness. Plus the way she disrespected other species was unfair. All species were equal in Mazu. No one was better than another here. She turned away from the lioness, not wanting to speak to her anymore.

“If you don’t start behaving I will have sweet Nahasi ban you. I am his favorite aunt after all. He will do anything I ask him to, including banning any misbehaving young lioness.”

Mura stopped and turned around. “You wouldn’t. This is my home just as much as it is yours. I have ever right to be here.”

“Than end your silly crush on my king. If you do not you must leave.”

Mura turned away and left, going as far away from Bedienka as she could. She would sleep on it and figure out what she should do in the morning.

WC: 1,093