Bedeinka had watched her precious king come to the female's den day after day. She couldn't help but wonder what the king was doing down here. Had he found that female company was better than male company? If so he would end up like his weak father, running away from the pride the moment he could. Bedinka scowled at the thought. Two disgraceful kings. What was this pride coming too.

This time when he came she would be there to stop the little meeting though. She would see what the feelings of this king was. If he was crazy in love with the rainbow lioness she would suggest he run away with her and leave someone much more capable to run the pride. That way the pride is only hit with a quick pain of abandonment instead of wondering when their king would leave them.

And there he is right now time. She watched him head toward the female, but she was fast asleep. Bedinka walked over to him and gave him a bow. “My king, you lovely lioness friend had a busy day and needs her rest. Why don't I keep you company so you visit isn't worthless.” she spoke smoothly with a gentle smile. She knew she could play the soft innocent lioness when she had too. Even the wicked at a soft side after all.

Nahasi was a bit disappointed that his lioness friend was fast asleep. He was looking forward to playing games with her. When Bedinka came up to him he smiled. She was his aunt, his half-aunt or something. Since he was little she was always there for him. “That sounds wonderful Bedinka.” he led her to the side where they could talk. He didn't want to talk too long, or someone might notice his absence.

“How has life treated you Bedinka?” he asked curiously. He made sure the females were treated fairly down here. He didn't want to be like his grandfather before him and mistreat the females who were king enough to help them have cubs of their own. The brotherhood mothers were an important part of the pride, there was no getting past that. He respected them like he would respect any male.

Bedeinka smiled. “All is well my king,” she said quietly. Than she gave him a look of seriousness. “My king I have noticed you down here more and more. It worries me that you spend so much time with a female when there must be many handsome young male lions in Mazunguko. You must prefer a member of you own kind over a female right?”

“I only ask because I do not want you to end up like your father and leave us. It would pain my heart if you ever did.” Right on cue a small single tear dribbled down her cheek. She was an exceptional actress and she knew it. Even if the king did prefer females, maybe now he would consider changing it so he wouldn't hurt his poor aunts heart.

Nahasi felt his ears go warm. Of course he didn't like the lioness. Not love her anyways. She was an amazing friend to him, one of the closest he had in Mazu right now. No his feelings lay else where. “Bedeinka you do not have to worry. My heart lies with a male and that will not change,” he smiled at her, hoping to get ride of any lingering worries she might have.

He didn't want to upset her by telling her that the one he loved was a leopard. That would only upset her. She was with the old ways, thinking that species should stick within their own. Times had changed since his grandfather was around and now it didn't matter who you loved as long as you truly loved them. He didn't expect Bedinka to understand.

He would tell her before he announced his love to the public. It was only fair that she also know about his love before the rest of the pride. She was family after all and family should be the first ones to know. Still Nahasi was worried how she would react. He knew a long time ago she disowned his father from her life. A lot of the family members did when he decided to love the one he loved and leave the pride for good. Even Nahasi felt a tinge of betrayal when his father left the pride, but there was nothing to do now to change that.

She gave him an understanding smile. From the look on his face she could tell he was thinking about his father. “Come here Nahasi.” She beckoned him closer to her so she could comfort him. “You will not be a disgrace like you father. You are going to be a magnificent king, one out people will be talking about for years to come. There will be stories telling of your greatness as a king and how you changed the pride for the good.”

She hoped he would change the pride for the good. She longed for the days when her father rules. Now he was a king. It was tough than being a female in the pride. You had no rights and you had to obey any male, but it was worth it having a great ruler as king. He was strict with the rules and punished and sometimes enslaved anyone who questioned him. Those were the days she missed, the days when the king was one to respect and fear.

“You will make me proud Nahasi. I just know it.” She said with a purr. “Now you should be off. I wouldn't want to worry you guards. I must wonder what they think of you sneaking down here to talk to the females. They must be worried their king has lost his way.”

Nahasi nodded at his aunt. He was starting to worry about what the guards would say about his constant absence. Would they piece together what he was doing? Hopefully this wouldn't start rumors about him. That was something he did not need. “You are right of course. I should get going. It was a pleasure to speak with you.”

“Before you go Nahasi I would like you to promise you will come see me. I do get lonely here and I can't help but get jealous when you speak with other females and not me. I am you aunt after all. I think I deserve a little of your attention.” She said with a playful smile. Nahasi was polite enough to agree to her promise. He wouldn't disappoint her.

“Alright Bedeinka. I'll come by in a couple days to see you.” He would tell her about Juan than. She did deserve to know. “Good bye Bedeinka.” He left the female, not knowing she had a distinct smirk on her face.

WC: 1,147