User ImageA story about father? Did Bast really say that, right now? After all this time? He was not mad, but this was definitely out of the blue. What could have brought on such a topic? The compassion, sure - the words of inspiration, sure... But a talk? A story? About his father? If he had the energy to do it, he would have moved to cough out over the inane situation.

Since he had been a cub, there were no stories about his father. At first, it was unnoticeable, Then, when he realized what fathers were, he still remained silent out of normality's sake. But of course, he had to have hinted at it over the course of their years. But when that happened, there was nothing near a clear answer or clue to what happened. Like himself, Bast had the ability to conceal things well.

"Father?" he repeated in a whisper, silently and yet knowing his mother still heard it, or at least received his bewildered signals.

User Image"Yes, father," Bast nodded and confirmed that this was the case.

She was not lying. She never lied, never meant to be dishonest to anyone. But their father was one thing. She was never really dishonest about him... There was just no information to give. He was a god lion, of course, and quite the man. He was what gave Mushkeli his tall, dark, and handsome looks. Ah, the father...

"I know I have never been clear with you on your father, Mushkeli," she said gently, eyes scanning him ever so softly from her cloud above him.

Mushkeli nodded, knowing that his mother was always truthful and loyal, never wanting to keep anything from him or anyone for that matter. But his father was obscured to obscurity himself. It was... strange.

The youth in Mushkeli wanted to know. Curiosity provoked him to want to know more about his unknown father. Yes, he was satisfied by being raised by only his mother, Bast, but still... Every son wanted to know who his father was, and what he was like.

Did he get his blue eyes from him..? Did he get his form of an owl..? Was his father a domain relating to an avian? Why could he not be as sociable and comfortable around company like his mother..?

Sure, he knew it was from his domain. In fact, it must have been from his domain most of the time. There was no real need to know who his father could have been, and what his father could have done. But still...

"Mushkeli?"

His pensive eyes snapped back to reality - to his mother, Bast, and all that she presented to him. It was a big offer. One that she would have never made before, or even tease at hinting - not that she did things like that.

"I am ready," he said, all his anticipation, worries, and a lifetime's worth of preparations leading to this climax, this answer.

Bast smiled, all the knowing of her son's thoughts and wondering throughout his life about his father. It was like Mushkeli to pretend he didn't care about anything, but she knew there were some things, perhaps even many things he cared about but did not wish to show.

She relaxed her stance, even lowering herself on the cloud to settle on a sphinx-like pose. She was getting ready to tell him what she knew.

Mushkeli stood there, seeing his mother poised, and yet, still able to maintain a soft posture. His eyes lowered, a little desire coming up wanting to be as gentle as his mother. But that was not his nature.

He raised his eyes again to look at her, focused now. He was not one to let any word about his father escape his attention.

"Well, my Mushkeli... It seems like I have been in this form for a very, very long time, especially when you compare it to a dozen mortals' worth of lifetimes. I have been around, my son, longer than even I acknowledge. The sun and the moon have always been around to keep our realms in balance, and thus, the bringing of night has been operating with the beginning of time. You know well that I have been around on this plane for many lifetimes, have experienced things that I can not recollect. Who knows how many descendants of my children are roaming the lands? I do not know. You are my only one, and I will respect that as far as it remains true. My love for you exceeds no other regardless of your father.

I regard your father as something I do in one of my past lifetimes. He is a faint memory, or not a memory at all. He has existed, but does not anymore in my time. Your father was kind, fitting, noble - a god of virtue and honor. You know well that I do not grant pardons for injustice or give second chances... Time has showed itself in me and I have gained more compassion since I was young, but still, my moral compass will never stray from its point.

I knew I would have you when I met your father. It was just simply fitting - you have good blood in you, Mushkeli, or whatever it is that we gods are made of. I would have no other in my children.

It occurred in just a matter of nights, honestly. Since I am not able to be awake during the day when everyone other can, I admit that it is truly hard for day walkers to find my path. And when you came to me, things changed. I was a mother, and I devoted my time to you. More time than I should have, honestly, as Mushkeli, wouldn't you think you have always been wise beyond your years? Of course you would have been able to take care of yourself since you came to be. But I loved you too dearly - that was it.

There is... something particular about your coming to be that changed things in more ways than one, however. Of course, your father left, but life was still content... and you were there..."

She paused, looking down at her son. Would he understand?

"When you came, I had no other eyes for anyone other than you, my Mushkeli. With the coming of the God of Obscurity, I could have taken you on as truly mine. There needn't be a father..."

"...What?"

Her eyes lowered, looking down at her son. A light smile came. Her face was unquestionably happy, gentle, and smiling... But there was a look of faint solemnness in her eyes that Mushkeli could not forget.