Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:36 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.The night was cold and damp, and the smell of rain was on the wind. Thick, billowing clouds scudded across motherfather's fleas and tick, secluding all the surface of the swamp in a darkness quite profound. It was a terrible night, many would say - a dangerous night, full of dangerous things. Mothers kept their frightened children to their dens and fens, and the eaglehounds kept guard over what was held dear.

The only way to be safe on a night like this, it was said, was to be the most dangerous of the monsters lurking in the darkness.

An old, withered-looking doe strode over the leaf litter and brush and muck, taking small, even steps. Her white coat was just visible through the gloom, its pallor like a grim omen, her one good eye shining dimly. Swooping softly overhead was her familiar, a crow as black as the night. They had been traveling long, but it was a necessary journey. For, in the hidden dell she traveled to, there lay a field of a marvelously potent, but devilishly rare, seeing herb. Besides being reputed to bring amazingly lucid and clear visions, is was just about the only thing that affected the old doe anymore. Though aged and frail, the White Hag, as she was often called, was willing to go to great means to refresh her supply of it.

At long last, the hag came to the clearing where the wonderful weeds grew. Her crow, suddenly swinging low past her, let out a harsh caw. In a low voice, she asked the crow, "What ever is the matter, Mildew?" Luckily for her, the clouds pulled away from the moon then, and she could see - another doe was there, picking the herbs!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 pm
User Image
The night was dark and the herb was fresh, and Acorn Crop could smell it, fresh and growing, from across the little dell. "Green and small and budding strong," she singsonged to herself as she bent down, examining the little leaves. "And such pretty little things, too! Let me show you the meaning of life, my friends," Crop laughed, a harsh sound from the doe's gentle throat, and ripped out a bunch of the herbs with her teeth, laying them aside on the grass. "Soft and brown and from the ground, roots and leaves and worms grow deep! Herb for me and eyes to see, life and death and hollow breath..." Crop's singsong chant went on as she picked more of the plant, and she had a good-sized pile gathered by the time she came to a sudden stop with a flick of her black-tipped ear.

"Ah but what's this we hear...the flap of wings on such a night?" The doe rose, the crow's foot around her neck swinging back and forth with the motion. "Perhaps another piece to add to our collection? The blood of flight doth tint the night." Her blue eyes scanned the treetops, searching for the source of the sound.  

hybridic

Obsessive Shapeshifter

elufae

Adventuring Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:32 pm
User ImageCrows Blood sauntered over root, stone, and puddle as she ventured through the swamp. She had made her way here once before, though many moons had since passed. It was home to a rare ingredient, one that was key to her vision elixer. With third eye unblinking and crow sleeping on her back, she gazed around her, finding old landmarks, some slightly different than before. After seeing an old, gnarled tree, she knew she was almost there.

A voice carried by the wind whispered in her ears, and her hornless brow furrowed slightly. Picking up the pace, she trotted into the clearing, carelessly snapping twigs on her way. Three eyes watched the pale doe before turning their gaze to the one picking -her- herbs. Keeping calm, she spoke in an even tone, "Well, well. What have we here? And here I thought this grove was..uninhabited." She inched closer, ragged tail swishing behind her, her crow slowly waking from the previous sudden movement. He let out an obnoxious caw, only to be swiftly shushed by his mistress. "Silence, Omen. 'Tis most rude of you to annoy our..guests." she hissed, peering at the does.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:57 pm
Maple paused, surveying the scene. The one doe seemed... simple, perhaps, or at least not connected in the usual ways. The other was strong, sure of herself, lean and powerful. Both had also possession of a crow - or parts of one, at least - and knew enough of herbs to come to this forgotten place. They both had an air of dark cunning about them, like a snake underhoof that could any moment twist upward and bite. In short, the three of them had rather much in common.

Maple decided to use no glam or falsehood on these does, and stepped into the full light of the clearing. Mildew had, by then, settled to rest upon her mistress' back. "That is also what I believed," she said in a quietly commanding voice less damaged by age than her appearance, "but apparently this is not the case." She looked, then at the... younger of the two, definitely, who had about her neck the remains of some large black bird. "I do not think that either of us would like to give our birds to your collection," she told this one a little stiffly.

To both, she asked somewhat redundantly, "Do you both seek the seeing herb that grows here, as I do?"

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

hybridic

Obsessive Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 am
If Acorn Crop was surprised at the intrusion of the other two does on her not-so-silent clearing, she didn't show it. "Ah, the dark wings belong to someone! Of course I would not take such treasure from you," Crop said to the two does, a glint in her eye. "But when they come to dust someday perhaps you'll think of me, all the same."

With a sudden little raspy chuckle, Crop sat down on her hind legs amidst the herbs, tucking her tail around her as she looked back and forth between the two does. "Much difference and yet much the same, us three," she continued, her eyes bright with amusement. "Strange we should all seek the same herb here upon the same night. We must all need the sight to forsee such a meeting!" She laughed softly again, a strangely old sound compared to her young and airy voice. "I would be more than pleased to share the herb with sisters such as thee -- the sight sees better through the eyes of three."  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm
Omen cowered behind his mistress at the sight of the doe's....trophies. He cawed softly, peeking out from behind Crows Blood's neck. The black-coated doe paid him no mind, and continued to observe the others.

"Is it coincidence that we three happen to be looking for the same herb? From the same spot? At the same time?" she asked, tilting her head and moving closer to them. "Or is it destiny? I can never tell." she added, looking at the glimpses of gray sky behind the canopies above. Taking in the moment of silence, she thought about what the younger doe said..

She had never needed anyone. Never wanted to be around others. But to meet two does, seemingly by chance, that had much in common with her. Perhaps this opportunity could not be missed. Perhaps..a union between the three would be most beneficial to all parties. And being called 'sister' by the younger doe. It was a foreign, warm sensation. She didn't like it at first, but not enough to turn and walk away now.

The three-eyed doe nodded at the other two, and settled down near, but not too close to, the younger doe. "My name is Crow's Blood. And this night-colored bird behind me," she said, turning slightly to gesture towards her cowardly bird. "is Omen. Ignore him, he is a fool." she suggested, looking back at the does.  

elufae

Adventuring Hunter

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:42 pm
There was a faint feeling of relief blossoming in the white hag's chest - they were not at each others' throats, at least not yet. And the youngest had called her sister... ? The thought of it made her laugh. "I'm afraid I'm far too old to be called sister," she said, but eased down onto the ground with the other does anyways. She placed herself equidistant from them, making a circle of sorts - it felt like the right thing to do.

Holding her head up proudly, she announced, "I am called many names, but my given name is Maple Milk. My own crow," she continued, nodding to the creature now settled on the ground beside her, "is named Mildew. She is well-behaved," Maple added, "and could perhaps teach Omen a few things." Mildew, for her part, eyed the other crow with a wary sort of pride.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 pm
Acorn Crop laughed at Crow's Blood's comment about coincidence and destiny, her eyes glimmering. "The two are often interchangeable, I find," she said, smiling at the darker doe. "Destiny so often hides itself in coincidence's garb."

Turning to the white doe, Crop raised an eyebrow. "Sister in blood and sister in breast are not always one and the same. Though granddam you might be, sister you are to me, I think." She flicked an ear, looking at the small circle the does made naturally, pleased with the occurence. "Ah, sisters, have you ever seen the picture of we three? Neither in nature nor nurture be a better number." The red haired doe grinned, a funny crooked little motion on her speckled face. "I take my name from the heads of the fallen, gathered in dreams from the roots of the trees. I am Acorn Crop, and pleased to meet."  

hybridic

Obsessive Shapeshifter

Roleplaying

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces