View Results

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:38 pm
Another Saturday, another episode of Doctor Who! So, what's the verdict this week?

I thought it was a nice little filler. Nothing exceptional, just a fun bit of creepiness. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Mark Gatiss's writing, but I liked this one. They probably could have done a bit more with it, but oh well. And that freaky little nursery rhyme... Any thoughts?

Oh, and I thought this should be mentioned before anyone brings up the Doctor's "in the flesh" line: This was originally supposed to be episode number four of this series, but it was moved forward to episode nine.

So, tell me what you guys thought!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:18 pm
It's not like I was planning to sleep anyway...
This episode reminded me of what I really love about this show's fanbase. I just know that someone out there will write (if it's not already written) a story called "Snow White and the Seven Keys to Doomsday".  

Amadeus McNinja

Feliciainwonderland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:35 am
I felt like we were watching "Fear Her" again, like Gatiss said "This was a bad episode, let's see if we can do it better!" Unfortunately, it was just a bad, maybe worse seeing as all the trump cards were played within the last five minutes.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:42 am
Feliciainwonderland
I felt like we were watching "Fear Her" again, like Gatiss said "This was a bad episode, let's see if we can do it better!" Unfortunately, it was just a bad, maybe worse seeing as all the trump cards were played within the last five minutes.

Yeah, it did remind me a little of Fear Her. It definitely felt rushed, like it was meant to be a two-parter.  

Amadeus McNinja

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Feliciainwonderland

Your signature is so amusing. eek  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:04 pm
It didn't feel too rushed, and I wasn't at all reminded of Fear Her, not sure how. I can see it now, but it hadn't even occured to me. It just felt like a new episode.
It did feel like a two-parter, but pretty much all the episodes that are single-standing feeling like they sound be two parters, and the two-parters feel dragged out.
Thanks, Moffat!
I'm starting to not be a big fan of him anymore. I know someone else wrote this, but it was done under his tenure. =/ All Moffat-Tenure episodes feel somewhat wrong, especially in this last season.  

[Lacrimosa]

Feliciainwonderland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:00 pm
Miss Marinara Sauce

Your signature is so amusing. eek

Thank you! Gotta love tumblr.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm
Have to say it did not feel right feels like it was just put in there. If you have been reading on what they have on the eps coming up on http://doctorwho.bbcamerica.com/ its all about the Pond family. This did not have a thing to do with River or the death of the Doctor (fixed point in time) so I just need to ask why have this ep if it dose not even blend in with the others?  

Demon God Galfor

C Q C Cat

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 am
I suppose that I am reminded of 'Fear Her', now that I think about it, with it all involving little children and aliens. I found it funny, most of the time, but they could have actually played out a more, I don't know, complex enemy. The best weapons were all used at the end, but I find that if the enemy was more than just an alien child's fears, then we might have a bit more suspense. Maybe that was what was wrong with it. Think about it, the Daleks, the Silence, and the Cybermen. The more complex villains more often than not, have two-episode arcs. That is, if they have more than a cameo (my example would be the cameos of the Silurians, Daleks, Judoon, Cybermen, Sontarans, and not doubt other species I didn’t recognize at the end of the first episode featuring the Pandorica). Now, if the fears that the alien child possessed had posed any more of a threat to the Doctor and his companions and allies, then we might have had to have gone on for two episodes. But that’s the thing; they weren’t really that much of a threat. If they were, the Doctor’s ‘trump cards’ might not have worked half as well as they were supposed to.

Anyway, with the enemy being deemed as a fail at being anything more than a small obstacle as compared to anything else the Doctor has faced, let’s talk about the actors. Matt Smith is, in my opinion, as brilliant as ever. As with Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill (Rory’s near breakdown when talking about light is hilarious). Daniel Mays also put up a brilliant performance as Alex, the worried father (‘You’re not from social services, are you?’ I absolutely loved the utter confusion and realization he put into that line), and Jamie Oram, also known as the boy George who suffers from pantaphobia (did I spell that right?), put so much fear and love into his lines (a great actor for a child). I have no complaints when it comes to the performances the actors put into this episode.

Now, since the serious work is done, a small observation to what I’ve seen: A small continuity error. Towards the end, when Alex and George are embracing in the doll’s house, I noticed that when Daniel’s back is towards the camera, Jamie’s left arm is on Daniel’s right shoulder. However, when Jamie’s back is to the camera, his arm isn’t on Daniel’s shoulder anymore.

Sorry, I ramble.
redface smile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 pm
I like Matt Smith, but I always feel like he's only giving half himself to the performance. Could be just me, but he doesn't seem to be on the level of acting that Eccleston and Tennant were. The two of them were just amazing.  

Feliciainwonderland

Demon God Galfor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 pm
Feliciainwonderland
I like Matt Smith, but I always feel like he's only giving half himself to the performance. Could be just me, but he doesn't seem to be on the level of acting that Eccleston and Tennant were. The two of them were just amazing.
Think your right or it could be that he looks to much like a tree he looks tall then has them long arms when he runs then dont seem to move then he just like to much like a brit dont get me wrong brits are cool but all the other Doctors did not look so brit.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 pm
Demon God Galfor
Have to say it did not feel right feels like it was just put in there. If you have been reading on what they have on the eps coming up on http://doctorwho.bbcamerica.com/ its all about the Pond family. This did not have a thing to do with River or the death of the Doctor (fixed point in time) so I just need to ask why have this ep if it dose not even blend in with the others?

This was really just meant to be a quick standalone episode; a sort of breather for the audience, if you will. It was actually such a standalone episode that it was able to be moved from the first half of the series to the second without much problem.  

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Twisted Time Lord

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:33 pm
I don't know why but something about it irks me. Possibly because he figured it out "too" fast what was going on or possibly because it wasn't really scary compared to some of the other episodes I've seen before.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 pm
Demon God Galfor
Think your right or it could be that he looks to much like a tree he looks tall then has them long arms when he runs then dont seem to move then he just like to much like a brit dont get me wrong brits are cool but all the other Doctors did not look so brit.

Your lack of punctuation is disturbing.  

Feliciainwonderland

Demon God Galfor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm
Feliciainwonderland
Demon God Galfor

Your lack of punctuation is disturbing.
Sorry really don't think about it at night.  
The T.A.R.D.I.S.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff