Ayana took her duties in the pride quite seriously. It was strange, the about-face her life had taken in the past weeks. No, no. It was strange how her life had changed since meeting Vena. Her life had changed drastically since the lioness had come into -- and gone from -- her life. Vena had opened Aya's eyes in a guileless way, and despite the lioness being ripped from her life Aya had come to be thankful for many things as opposed to being sad and upset.

Aya was thankful for this pride, thankful for the security that it gave her, and thankful for Nyeusi. She was most thankful for the dark leopard male. If he hadn't remained by her side throughout these harrowing weeks, Ayana wasn't sure that she would still be willing to carry on.

His shrine neighbored hers, and as she worked near her carved stone, she shot a glance towards the male leopard that had come to mean so much to her. He was diligently tending to his shrine, keeping the leaves at bay, assuring himself that the grass was kept short at the base of the carved stone. Sometimes he would catch her looking at him and he'd give her a small smile. It had been easier to return his smiles as of late, and he seemed to glow when she gave the small gesture. It warmed her heart to know that he was dedicated to her, and only to her.

Nyeusi had been feeling rather accomplished. He'd opened up to Aya, he'd spilled his heart, and it had only made their relationship that much stronger. Instead of sleeping apart these past few days, Aya had allowed him to sleep near her. It was so surreal to Nye, waking up next to the female he adored above all others. They were safe here, well-fed, were tentatively making friends, and Nyeusi had never felt happier in his life.

There was only one thing that could make him happier, and that was cubs of their own.

He paused in his duties to glance at Ayana, catching her gaze as she watched him work. He grinned at her before rising to his feet, moving in her direction. She was smiling brightly at him as he approached, rising to her paws so that she might meet him half-way. He chuckled as she buried his face against his shoulder, letting out a small purr of pleasure.

"Break time?" Ayana said with a small laugh in her voice.

"Mmhm," Nyeusi replied, nuzzling against her ear. "I have not eaten yet today, and I know for a fact that you have not either." He gave her a look of mock-consternation, the twinkle in his gaze belying the severity of his expression.

Ayana laughed outright, the sound hoarse. The noise took Nyeusi by surprise, as it had been the first time he'd heard her laugh -- a real, honest laugh -- since they'd lost Vena. He was sure to erase the surprise from his face before she glanced back at him. He did not want her to feel like he would be forever giving her these shocked looks if she happened to laugh at one of his silly jokes.

"Oh, poor Nye," she said quietly, bumping her shoulder against his as they moved away from their shrines. "I remember a time when we would have gone for days without eating. If I remember correctly," she said with a playful tone, "you were the one doing the hunting in those days."

Nyeusi laughed heartily at her teasing. He would take this over stoic sadness and weepy eyes ANY day of the week. It was good to see a shadow of Ayana's old self shining through. "You wound me, Aya," he chuckled, "and I have never professed to be a fantastic hunter. I did the best I could." He grinned at her, leaning over to n** at her ear.

Their lunch was filled with flirty bantering, stolen nuzzles, and softly spoken words. It was as if the only creatures in the world were one another, and neither minded. They didn't notice the longing gaze of a quiet and skittish silvery wild dog, nor did they notice the reproachful glance of a small, brick-wall of a honey badger. No, they truly only had eyes for one another.

After eating their fill, Aya and Nye made their way back to their respective shrines. Nye paused as they drew near to his. Normally he would stop at his shrine and then watch her make her way to hers just a dozen feet away. This time, though, he gave pause before following Ayana back to her shrine and the duties that waited for her there.

Surprised, Aya glanced at him questioningly. Her dual-hued eyes were full of curiosity as she watched him with a slight sense of worry. There was something on his mind, something she hadn't noticed until now. "What is it, Nye?" Her brow furrowed together in a worried frown as she waited for his reply. She did not have to wait long.

"Aya, I love you. You know this. We have come to call this place home, and while I know..." he paused for a long moment, searching desperately for the right words to say, "while I know that your heart is still healing over the loss of Vena," he cleared his throat nervously as he watched her with an intent gaze.

"I want to start a family." There, he'd said it. There was no use beating around the bush, or using pretty words to try and convince her of his words. Honesty was the best policy, and each moment wasted was one they would never get back. Vena had taught that to him.

Aya was silent for a long moment as she watched Nye's expression change, as she took in his words. For a moment she froze, and a vision of Vena flashed before her eyes. There was never a guarantee that tomorrow would come. Nyeusi fidgeted quietly, but he seemed to relax when she smiled at him.

"I want to start a family, too," she said quietly, her eyes downcast. It felt strange to speak so bluntly about such an intimate decision, but it was easier when she spoke with honesty. "A family with you, Nyeusi."

They were the words that he'd been waiting to hear. Everything was coming together so sweetly. With measured movements, Nye nuzzled her chin. Life was completely perfect now, and it would be even more so once they had a family of their very own.

((WC: 1096 in MSword))