Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Fair or not??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crazy_Evil_Mother7

Ferocious Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/man-says-rejected-blood-bank-seeming-gay-151627659.html
A friend of mine showed me this. And I find it unfair. Yes gay people can get AIDs and other STDS easier but you can check the blood before you give it to a hospital. They should still let gays donate blood. The dude is not even gay and is not allowed to.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm
That's ridiculous. It is unfair.  

InvertedCr0sses

5,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Crazy_Evil_Mother7

Ferocious Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm
x- a k a k o
I know, he was judged by the way he acts.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm
Crazy_Evil_Mother7
x- a k a k o
I know, he was judged by the way he acts.

The hospital should test the blood. If he were to have an STD, they could clean the needle as they always do. That is a way to transfer STDs but they shouldn't have to worry about it if they properly clean and sterilize the needles.  

InvertedCr0sses

5,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

chaoskaye

Obsessive Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:36 pm
I read this a few hours ago. You shouldn't be denied giving blood just because someone suspects you're gay. Besides there are plenty of heterosexual people with STDs and the HIV/AIDS virus. Sometimes I really hate this country.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:40 pm
chaoskaye
I read this a few hours ago. You shouldn't be denied giving blood just because someone suspects you're gay. Besides there are plenty of heterosexual people with STDs and the HIV/AIDS virus. Sometimes I really hate this country.

This. This exactly.  

Denkou Soshiatae

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:42 pm
Wow- way for them to be bigots.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 pm
And they wonder why the blood bank is low on blood sometimes.  

Crazy_Evil_Mother7

Ferocious Sweetheart

Aesuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:30 pm
Crazy_Evil_Mother7
And they wonder why the blood bank is low on blood sometimes.

Indeed. That is most unfair and bigoted.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 pm
Test the freakin' blood. That's all they have to do. It might be more work on them, but they're saving a life dammit. That's ridiculous.  

finfageek

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:36 pm
Wow, that is really unfair and completely judgemental. The man just wanted to save a life. Geeze.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 am
The article even says all blood is already tested. I already knew this unfortunate fact, but that doesn't make me any less angry. Also, they aren't technically supposed to deny someone solely because they are gay. In order to be denied, you need to have had sex with a man since 1977, so gay virgins (like lonely old me) should still be able to donate. It really is an old, unfair, and severely dated law that really needs to go. Who knows, we have had quite a few successes lately, this could be next!  

bollier

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 am
as bollier said, its an outdated law. hopefully it will change soon since more and more people are becoming gay aware and realizing that we arent germ infested garbage bags  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 am
I personally can't donate blood due to the fact I could have been exposed to mad cow disease. But thats a legit reason for me to be denied.  

Crazy_Evil_Mother7

Ferocious Sweetheart

Yuki_no_Joo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:58 pm
That's unfair and predigest. My uncle's a doctor who works with aids patients and he told me its straight people are more like to get aids and HIV gays. Plus shouldn't people already be check for that things like that before the donate?  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games