Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!
identifying yarns

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever gotten yarn from someplace other than a store?
  yes, gift
  yes, garage sale/second hand store
  yes, frogging clothes, blankets, other item
  no
  goldz
View Results

E.Beth

Apocalyptic Codger

19,050 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:32 pm
I need a little help. I recently got a pretty big size box full of random yarn. I can tell just from looking at them, though, that I have never worked with whatever type of yarn they are, let alone what kind they are.

Does anyone have any good tips for figuring out the weight of yarn when it doesn't have a label on it. I think one or two may be mohair type lace weight stuff but I'm not so sure.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 am
Look up a wraps per inch guide, abbreviated WPI. Basically you wrap yarn around a one inch section on a ruler and count the number of wraps in that inch. That will give you an idea of the weight of the yarn. Hope that helps.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

E.Beth

Apocalyptic Codger

19,050 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:47 pm
That helps a ton. Any tips for telling if it is wool or not? I want to make a felted bag and don't know if some of the yarn I have is wool or not.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 am
There's a burn test for fiber, but I'm not sure what means what. A google search should help you with that, though it won't tell you if the wool is superwash. Also, you could knit a swatch and see if it felts up, if it does it's something that will felt.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 am
There only used to be only four weights of yarn, baby, sport, worsted, and bulky. (now there is baby, baby sport, sport, worsted, bulky, and super bulky or chunky) The rule of thumb was 2 baby to one sport, 2 sport to one worsted, and 2 worsted to bulky. (with the new weights, 1.5 baby to one baby sport? 2 bulky to one super bulky or chunky??)

hope that helps!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:52 pm
here is a link for the burn test guideBurn test guide

In my experience most gifted yarn tends to be random old acrylic. It won't look or feel much like acrylic does now, but it will act that way according to the test.  

PathlessPlot

Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games