Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Offerings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:09 pm
Ok so I have question. I wanted to start leaving offerings. I know that I would have to go through some kind of purifying ritual but I'm not sure what all would have to be included or at least the basics for it would be(like if I needed some kind of circle or candles or oils or whatnot). Another thing would be what kind of cantainers and what to leave as a basic offering until I can find out what the specific deity or spirit would want.

I've asked a few of the spirits I talk to and Thoth but they never gave me a direct answer. I kinda figured the spirits I asked don't really care(starting to wonder if they're just really strong thought forms) with how they act and I've talked to them for a long time. I know if Thoth doesn't give me the direct answer I should watch for signs(I really need to learn to watch and listen for them better) but I'm one that's kinda impatient and I asked Him last night about it before I went to bed.
I want to be able to leave them something that the deities would be happy with. I'm still in the process of getting to know Them better and finding how exactly I'm going to shape my path but I want to feel like I'm doing something that is a step forward instead of only putting myself out there and waiting for a response(I have heard from a couple others from the Kemetic pantheon) or just going back to Thoth. I feel like I keep pestering Him with all my questions.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm
All I know is that some Egyptian gods have rules about different kinds of offerings and there's rules against animal products and stuff.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 pm
Thanks Esiris. I know I'll come across it sooner or later in my reading. I was just curious what people knew on the subject.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Thanks Esiris. I know I'll come across it sooner or later in my reading. I was just curious what people knew on the subject.
Yeah- sorry I wasn't more help. sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Marine-Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 pm
I have both read and been told that a small saucer of milk is a good offering. Faye in particular seem to really like it, and it should be whole milk. Cheap offering don't make them happy. Handmade items are also good. Western pagans sometimes would make small flutes out of hollow twigs and branches. However, we run across the different paths, and what works for some does not work for others. So I am stumped as well.

I suggest waiting for a sign, and if it comes do tell us what it is. That is unless it is to be kept secret. ^_~  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:49 am
I'm sure I've read somewhere from Kemetics that offerings are reclaimed by the one offering them. I'm not sure what the rituals are exactly, but the idea is that you offer something, the God(s) take the spiritual component of that offering, and then you, the offerer, consume the physical component (assuming we're talking about food and drink). Of course, this can sometimes be problematic, like, you offer some alcohol, but pour out too much, you don't get to leave half the offering to drink later, but must drink it all as part of the ritual.

Unfortunately, as school as been eating away at my time rather drastically, I haven't had the chance to do any of the reading on Kemeticism I've been meaning to do, so I don't have any more concrete information on Kemetic offering rituals.  

Katefox Tarnagona

Shameless Genius

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:11 pm
Marine-Kitty
I have both read and been told that a small saucer of milk is a good offering. Faye in particular seem to really like it, and it should be whole milk. Cheap offering don't make them happy. Handmade items are also good. Western pagans sometimes would make small flutes out of hollow twigs and branches. However, we run across the different paths, and what works for some does not work for others. So I am stumped as well.

I suggest waiting for a sign, and if it comes do tell us what it is. That is unless it is to be kept secret. ^_~
Like you said, what's considered a good offering to one being isn't always a good offereing for another. I haven't found anything to support that milk would be a good offering to Djehuty. And handmade items seems like it would be a better offering to Ptah, within the pantheon I chose to follow.

I appreciate the help but Djehuty knows I've been trying to focus on school and that's why I have put my studies aside and He has been fine with that. He wants me to learn. Plus when I tried an offering with the little knowledge I had He showed me that I wasn't ready yet.

Katefox Tarnagona
I'm sure I've read somewhere from Kemetics that offerings are reclaimed by the one offering them. I'm not sure what the rituals are exactly, but the idea is that you offer something, the God(s) take the spiritual component of that offering, and then you, the offerer, consume the physical component (assuming we're talking about food and drink). Of course, this can sometimes be problematic, like, you offer some alcohol, but pour out too much, you don't get to leave half the offering to drink later, but must drink it all as part of the ritual.

Unfortunately, as school as been eating away at my time rather drastically, I haven't had the chance to do any of the reading on Kemeticism I've been meaning to do, so I don't have any more concrete information on Kemetic offering rituals.
That's about as far I've gotten too. Except to add onto that there was something I found when I was reading on the ka that the person would say something about feeding the deities ka with the offering. I think they would say something like "May your ka be fed." I forget exactly. I remember posting it in my Kemeticism thread. I'll edit when I find it.

But then the question remains what do you do when you offer something that can't be consumed? I've read where someone offered a necklace to Aset. They were asking around what to do since they couldn't consume it and it shouldn't just be left alone. People said to leave it on the alter when the person wasn't wearing it. But I wouldn't know what to do during the offering since I found that there was that prayer about feeding the deity's ka. And since a lot of the things I've found that people would offer to Djehuty were things like pens, pencils, one was even the person's computer that's something I need to find.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:00 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Katefox Tarnagona

That's about as far I've gotten too. Except to add onto that there was something I found when I was reading on the ka that the person would say something about feeding the deities ka with the offering. I think they would say something like "May your ka be fed." I forget exactly. I remember posting it in my Kemeticism thread. I'll edit when I find it.

But then the question remains what do you do when you offer something that can't be consumed? I've read where someone offered a necklace to Aset. They were asking around what to do since they couldn't consume it and it shouldn't just be left alone. People said to leave it on the alter when the person wasn't wearing it. But I wouldn't know what to do during the offering since I found that there was that prayer about feeding the deity's ka. And since a lot of the things I've found that people would offer to Djehuty were things like pens, pencils, one was even the person's computer that's something I need to find.

Well, in that case, maybe your part of the offering is to put the thing to use somehow. Like, Aset's necklace, the person's part may be to wear the necklace for a given period of time, or during certain times. For offerings of things like pens, and other stationary, the thing to do afterwards would be to use it, or use it for a specific subject that Djehuty particularly approves of. I don't know if this idea is attested anywhere, but it seems to logically follow from the idea of consuming food and drink offerings once they are offered, i.e. to consume the material offering by using it.  

Katefox Tarnagona

Shameless Genius

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:04 pm
Katefox Tarnagona
Well, in that case, maybe your part of the offering is to put the thing to use somehow. Like, Aset's necklace, the person's part may be to wear the necklace for a given period of time, or during certain times. For offerings of things like pens, and other stationary, the thing to do afterwards would be to use it, or use it for a specific subject that Djehuty particularly approves of. I don't know if this idea is attested anywhere, but it seems to logically follow from the idea of consuming food and drink offerings once they are offered, i.e. to consume the material offering by using it.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. But that basically is what I said. But the question that I had that I haven't found the answer to yet is what prayer would be said when giving the offering since we can't feed ourselves along with what deity we are giving the offering to when we offer something like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Katefox Tarnagona
Sorry if I wasn't clear. But that basically is what I said. But the question that I had that I haven't found the answer to yet is what prayer would be said when giving the offering since we can't feed ourselves along with what deity we are giving the offering to when we offer something like that.

Oh. I misread it. sweatdrop Yeah, I have no idea on that one, unless you can modify the prayer for offering food/drink somehow? /not helpful  

Katefox Tarnagona

Shameless Genius

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 pm
Katefox Tarnagona
Oh. I misread it. sweatdrop Yeah, I have no idea on that one, unless you can modify the prayer for offering food/drink somehow? /not helpful
Its alright. I'm working on it.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff