Everybody's got a song

Alais Kibou-Courcel
Name: Alais Kibou-Courcel
Nickname(s): n/a
Sex: Female
Birthday: June 30th
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Gemstone: Pearl
Origin: Celeste City. French, American mutt, and Japanese ethnic origins.
Bloodtype: A-
Height: 5'
Bodytype: Alais is a delicate looking girl with peachy pale skin more likely to burn than tan. Her features are delicate, with a hint at her Japanese ancestry.
Hair: Ash brown and reaches the bottom of her shoulder blades in a wavy, feathered appearance. The bangs are often parted, with the majority swept to the right side (which can lead to them covering her right eye at times).
Eyes: Somewhat 'tilted' in the East Asian manner, silvery-gray in color.
Fashion: Alais is a lolita girl, leaning more towards gothloli, EGL, and classic lolita. She wears VERY little in the way of cosmetics, seeing no need for heavy amounts of it, and her only jewelry tends to be a small pair of zircon stud earrings and a small gold crucifix on a silver chain.

Personality Traits:
Pros
  • [Behind Every Good Man...] Is a better woman. Alais isn't the sort to take the spotlight, in all honesty. She prefers to be in the background, supporting and encouraging. And she does this very well. She's a steady rock for her friends, a source of encouragement and belief. Whether it's simply being there at a friend's first performance in the Drama Club, or providing a shoulder to cry on when a boyfriend doesn't work out, or helping out with that most dreadful of subjects known as Mathematics, Alais excels at supporting others. It seems to be another thing she shares with her mother, a woman who could have made it big in fashion, but chose to stay small.

• [A Lady Always Carries Herself With Grace...] And never lets the small things get to her. Alais isn't the sort to let insults and petty behavior affect her. There's a rumor going around she's cheating? Fine, the people who matter know she isn't. There's a rumor going around she's a scholarship student? Why yes, she is, and she's quite proud she had a talent the school board thought worthy of notice! Someone tripped her? She just dusts herself off, asks the person if it made them feel bigger, and then continues on.

• [Children Are a Gift...] And should be looked after and nurtured. Alais loves children, and is actually quite motherly. Small children will find a friend in her, someone who does not mind kicking off their heels to run about with them in a game of tag, or tell them stories until they drift off to sleep or their mother comes to retrieve them. Children are also one of the few reasons she will risk her life...if a child needs protecting, and she's the only one around or willing to do it, it's only right that she does so! After all, they've not lived as long as she has, and they deserve the chance to grow up! This motherly attitude extends somewhat to those younger than her in school...she's the sort who will offer a tissue for a girl who looks downhearted, or offer to tutor someone struggling in a class she's good at.

• [I Know God...] Will not give me anything I can't handle. Alais's faith in the Christian God is deep enough that she rarely feels truly alone or abandoned. Even when things seem to be at their worst, Alais will simply keep doing the best she can and know that things will eventually get better. After all, the night is darkest before dawn and things could always be worse...But even she has her fears. She's only human, after all. She tries not to push her beliefs on others, but occasionally it'll pop up.

Cons
  • [It is Better to Be a Coward For a Minute...] Than dead before your time. Alais has a fear of dying, and because of it, she's something of a coward when it comes to physical confrontation and certain things in life. There's a youma coming after her? Damn right she'll run and hide, dragging along whoever is close to her with her! Scary movies? No thanks, she'd rather not see all the gruesome ways people can die. Cutting through the park in the middle of the night to get home? Uh...no way. You have NO idea what could be hiding in there! Generally, the only time she'll risk her life is if a child is involved. It isn't so much the afterlife that scares her...it's the thought of leaving things undone and the possible pain involved with the death itself that scares her. Even someone as devout as her fears dying too early.

• [Even a Lady Has Her Limits...] And you've found mine. Alais does not anger easily, overall. But there are some things that just get under her skin and set her off. And her temper with such things is explosive. When her buttons are pushed, she proves that she is only human. Most of her 'buttons' relate to children and her family, but every now and again, someone will find something she didn't know could tweak her nose so.

• [Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter...] I am armed with SOAP! Alais cannot STAND crude, lewd, and perverted behavior. One of the few times you will hear her raise her voice outside of singing is when someone is acting in such a manner. She has no qualms smacking someone upside the head when they're being lewd, and she turns such a NICE shade of pinky-red when innuendos are flying. It's not that she's naive. It's simply the fact that she is a LADY and you DO NOT talk like THAT around a LADY.

• [I Do Not Need a Father...] But my children shall have the Perfect one. Alais has VERY high expectations in love. She wants it all; good looks, kind, gentlemanly, well-off, loving, and faithful. And she will not accept less. The love of her life could be right there in front of her, but if he's a joker from a poor background, she won't see him as more than a friend until SOMETHING knocks her upside the head with a clue-by-FOREST. This stems from her own origins, and watching her mother have one failed relationship afer another, and the beautiful tales of love in the fairy tales she adores. Alais is, and always will be, a romantic. And she wants nothing less than the best for when she has children. And yes, she has been known to turn down dates and love letters because the boy wasn't 'up to standards'.

Hobbies:
  • [Reading and Storytelling] Alais is very fond of books, especially fantasies and fairy tales. She can often be found reading during lunch or after a test, and it isn't rare to see her with a new book every day or two. She got this love from her mother, who is equally in love with the fantasy and fairy tale genres. Alais also loves reading to children, and has no problems plopping down with a book and a child and engaging them in the world of knights and dragons and princesses disguised as goose girls.

• [Singing] Alais loves to sing, and she'll drag her friends out to karaoke at LEAST once a week, usually on a Saturday. She's also no stranger to singing in the shower, or singing under her breath while doing homework or walking through town. Her taste in songs to sing tends to vary widely...it basically boils down to what she's in the mood to vocalize. She was introduced to this through Sunday School, and was in her church's choir until her mother remarried and she got into St. Micheal's. Since then, she's been in the school's choir rather than the church's choir. Her favorite types of songs to sing are songs from church, upbeat and 'feel good' songs, and love songs. Her voice can be classified as 'alto', and she's never been very good at hitting the higher notes in the 'soprano' range.

• [Fashion] Though Alais can't sew well enough to do more than general 'quick-fix until it can be gotten to a professional', she LOVES putting together outfits and accessorizing. And she usually keeps an eye out for new things to add to her wardrobe, and had no problems helping out her 'clothing-challenged' friends with their outfits. Of course, she also has access to her mother, who loves designing new clothes for her only child.

• [Volunteering] For the last three years, Alais has been helping out at her Catholic church's Sunday School, this year in the '2nd grade' class. She's not yet old enough to actually teach a class, but she helps pass out supplies, keep watch over the kids when they're playing outside or on a field trip, and has been handed the job of 'storyteller'. If there's a story needing told, be it from a book or the Bible, Alais is the one to read it for the class. The teachers say she has a talent for engaging the kids in the story with the way she tells it.

• [Walking] A lady must stay in shape to keep a figure her lord will like. Alais goes for an hour-long walk every night after dinner (save Sundays), and any friends she has know they are welcome to join her. She generally goes through the park, though she'll sometimes wander other places. It's a chance to get some exercise, and just take a moment to enjoy the things around her, especially if the day has been hectic.

Favourite Food: Rose-flavor Gelato, Chicken Enchilladas
Least Favourite Food: Anything bitter, coffee included.
Family: Alais lives with her mother, stepfather, infant half-brother, and three stepsisters in a rather large house of a distinctly Victorian feel and a large back yard that has two willow trees planted in the back. She has a biological father somewhere in Kyoto, but he's never been a part of her life (nor does she want him to be). Her maternal grandparents are a large part of her life and live in the city, and her stepfamily's grandparents have welcomed her into the fold as well.

School: St. Micheal's, Music track
Grade: 12th Grade
Favourite Subject: Choir
Least Favourite Subject: P.E.

Job: No job atm.

It serenades the night along

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 pm
We jet 'cross town

Family

Parent(s):
Mother: Esme Courcel(Kibou)
  • Alais' 36-year-old mother. Child of a Japanese father and French/American mutt mother, Esme is a quiet, sweet-tempered woman who works as a seamstress and designer, and is currently pregnant and due in February. She runs a small boutique JUST outside of downtown, where she sells a small selection of things she's made for the sheer reason of making them, and takes commissions. It was once enough to support she and Alais, but now she does it for the sheer love of doing it. Her marriage to Kenji is her second one, and she walks with a limp gained during the abusive relationship that she had with Alais' father. With the help of her family, she moved from Kyoto, Japan to Celeste (where her mother had friends and family), and had a few failed relationships before meeting Kenji through her mother. Surprising to most everyone, it turned out that Esme was friends with Kenji's first wife when they were children. Sadly, they'd lost contact shortly after Esme started dating Youji, and Esme sometimes wishes she could have had a chance to say 'goodbye' to her childhood friend.

Stepfather: Kenji Courcel
  • Alais' 37-year-old stepfather. Half Japanese, half American mutt (with more than a little French in there). He's a stern, but caring man who treats Alais like she was of his own blood. He's the CEO of a computer security company, like his father, and his father before him. His first wife died six years ago, and he met Esme through his mother...she and Esme's mother were good friends. Alais views him as a father, despite the fact he's only been around for a couple of years, and tends to call him 'Papa'.

Biological Father: Youji Grant
  • Alais' 39-year-old father, and Esme's ex-husband. Alais has never seen him, and she NEVER wants to. He is one of the few people she wants to physically hurt, for the pain and suffering he caused her mother. Damn the fact he is her blood father. According to Esme, Youji is a cruel, manipulative man in the guise of gentleman. He was kind and caring at first, sweeping her off her feet...and then slowly became controlling and abusive. Alais is thankful her grandparents acted as proxies when her parents were getting divorced while Esme was pregnant with Alais.

Sibling(s): Alais has one baby half-brother and three stepsisters.

Kaida Courcel
  • The oldest of the Courcel girls at 16 (a couple months older than Alais), Kaida and Alais actually get along rather well. They're both on the Music track at St. Micheal's, and both love singing. Alais thinks she needs to get it together when it comes to romance, though. One does not GIVE UP on finding the perfect man! Despite this, however, the two girls often practice together and share books (and sometimes clothes, since they're ALMOST the same size).

Kimi Courcel
  • Age 10. Alais is rather protective of the girl, and at the same time can sometimes be greatly annoyed by her. Kimi is quite the little actress and drama queen. They aren't particularly close, like Kaida and Alais, but Kimi knows she can go to Alais if she needs to.

Christine Courcel
  • Age 8. The no longer the baby of the family, she still has a talent for getting into trouble. Alais takes this in stride, and loves encouraging the girl's love of fairy tales. Kenji isn't particularly ENTHUSED about this...but he tolerates it because it helps keep Christine out of worse trouble than she tends to get into.

Raphael Courcel
  • Newborn. The only child of the family who is biologically both Esme and Kenji's, little Raphael already has Alais wrapped around his little finger. Alais is quite happy to hold him or rock him when her parents need an extra few minutes of sleep, or read to him. He seems to like being read to.

Other family:

Grandfather: Kimihiro Kibou
  • Once a teacher of History(both local and world) and Folklore at Kyoto University, 57-year-old Kimihiro joined his wife in moving their daughter FAR from Youji. He now teaches those same classes at Celeste Community College. A distant but kind man that Alais adores, he's one of those rare Japanese Catholics. Once a month on a Sunday, the Courcel family have dinner over at his and Ninon's home at his insistence. Though he doesn't play a LARGE role in the life of his granddaughter, he refuses to let family ties diminish, especially since they're in the same city. He also has a tendency to buy Alais well-made jewelry for her birthday and Christmas (thanking God that the two occasions fall on opposite ends of the year the entire time).

Grandmother: Ninon Kibou(Abson)
  • A 56-year old pastry chef for the bakery l'Petite Fête, Ninon is a bright, lively woman with a certain...presence. She can easily get someone's attention, and has a tendency to make friends wherever she goes. She's also just as much a romantic as her daughter and granddaughter. She just happened to be more interested in the scholars of the stories than the princes! Alais tends to see her more often than Takuya, since Alais stops by l'Petite Fête when she's out and about and needs a snack. She met Kimihiro in high school, during an exchange student program. He was friends with the older brother of her 'host-sister'.

Uncle: Cyrille Kibou
  • Alais' 34-year-old uncle. She sees him only for Christmas and New Year's when he comes to visit, as he still lives in Kyoto, the owner of his own izakaya. He's much like his mother, full of life and humor and easy to make friends with. And he always brings Alais some new Japanese hair ornament for a Christmas gift.

Other
Her stepfather's parents, Eloi Courcel and Hiromi Courcel (maiden name Suzuhoshi), live in a condo in the city, happily retired and quite happy to spoil their grandchildren and visit whenever they can. The parents of Kenji's first wife, Takuya Tokuwa and Eve Tokuwa (maiden name Moore), live in Kyoto, so Alais rarely sees them. But they visit for Christmas and New Years EVERY year along with Cyrille (they're apparently regulars at his place), and call once a week to keep in touch..

Home: The Courcel home is a large, well-furnished house of a Victorian feel, with a large backyard. The backyard has a few flowerbeds in it, and two willow trees planted in the back. Both Kaida and Alais love spending time underneath them, usually reading or practicing.

Family Life: Alais' homelife can range from hectic to calm and peaceful, depending on the time of day, season, and what day of the week it is. Weekends are usually FAR quieter than weekdays.

To dinner with everyone

Truth.Be.Told

Truth.Be.Told

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:54 pm
We talk about the friends we've made

Relationships

(Totally snagged from Daspoi, who snagged Hoshi's basic idear.))

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Strong Desire to Kill on Sight
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Hate
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Dislike
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Met A Few Times
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Acquaintance
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Friends
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Close Friends
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Best Friends
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Like A Sibling
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Attracted
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Crushing
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥In Love

: |Kaida Courcel || Super Sailor Hyakutake| : Is aware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || My older step-sister, and one of my best friends. We often practice singing together, and I am the only person in the family aware of what she really is. I worry for her, a lot, but...I know she has to do this, and I will be here to patch her up and make sure she doesn't neglect herself, as heroes are wont to do. And I really wish she wouldn't give up on love so easily!

: |Badai Ajali || ????| : Is unaware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || I have known him since we were small and...for all his flirtatious ways, he is my oldest and dearest friend. He is a good person, underneath all that charm and flirting, and has been there for me.

: |Matthis Eichmann || ????| : Is unaware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || He frustrates me greatly, but...he is a good person, and a loyal friend. If lazy. And sometimes crass. And...-sighs- He obviously cares for Kaida a great deal, so I have learned to deal with him. It has paid off a few times when I need a shoulder.

: |Demitre G. Kenwall || ????| : Is unaware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || Kaida's newest friend, from what I can tell. He's a good person, and the two seem comfortable with one another. I am personally hoping they become something more than friends.

: |Glyn Nock || n/a| : Is unaware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || I met him at the...the fiasco, and a few times afterwards. He's a nice person, and very polite.

: |Therez Valdez || n/a| : Is unaware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || I haven't seen her since the fiasco, but I hope she's doing all right. Witnessing a death like that...-shivers- I don't think any of us walked away without being affected some way.

: |Allison Amelia Hart || ????| : Is unaware. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || Ally...dearest cousin, why must you be so paranoid and crass? I love you dearly, but you can be a handful at times. You and Matt get along far too well...-sighs-

: |???? || Sailor Polaris| : Is unaware of her civilian form. || ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ || You not only killed one of the city's protectors against those foul demons, but the things that happened because of you dragged up things Kaida HAD recovered from. I can only pray you soon end up in Hell where you belong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:18 pm
All that I have left

Roleplay Logs

Is his voice and it's fading fast

Truth.Be.Told

Truth.Be.Told

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:22 pm
My soul, straight to music

Playlist
Here later

Kept me here in hard times I think

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 pm