It had been a miserable walk home.

Regret, disgust with himself, and uncertainty set the tone for his thoughts. He’d fallen into his own weakness again. Desperate for comfort, clinging to anyone that would give it, and disgracing himself with a night of selfish action. The lioness had fed him, given him shelter and respite and he had just left her at first light. She’d been asleep when he’d excused himself, and likely spent many hours searching for him. She’d wake up alone, confused, and perhaps even a little angry.

Stars willing she wouldn’t wake up with a surprise come a few months… heavens what had he done? What had gotten into him?

He wasn’t sure he wanted to know the answer to that…

As he approached the boarder, a very familiar form began loping his way. Flik sighed and pulled his posture upright, earning a few pops along his spine. Obviously his body was scolding him for his downtrodden posture for much of the walk.

Gremio, the old veteran soldier of their group had taken up boarder patrol once more. It was little wonder- the lion had always been a bit of a worry wart, clinging to the side of his master like a burr and worrying after every scratch and bruise. The pride that Tir had come to rest within had become like his extended family. To lose even one of them would be unbearable.

“Flik! Heavens, where have you been?” The veteran came to a sharp stop, his chest heaving from the sprint and his worried eyes darting over his companion’s ragged form.

“Has Viktor returned?” Right to the point, Flik wasn’t in the mood to explain himself. At least not yet.

“Y-yes…he returned some time ago.” Gremio frowned, throwing an uncertain look behind himself. “…he said that you had your own business to see to.”

“My own business indeed!” Flik erupted, throwing a paw out behind him. “I was left at the boarder of a very hostile pride! They nearly tore my guts out. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the next day I was tricked into assisting in a hunt and left to vomit out what little -was- in my belly. After -that-, I was tangled up for days after losing a meal to some rogue lioness.” After that, he didn’t bother to mention. “And here I am! Weeks after I was ditched while Viktor-”

“There’s rumor that Neclord has returned.” Gremio cut in gravely, effectively defusing Flik’s raging ramble. The younger lion stood with his mouth agape, his eyes wide.

“He…what? He’s dead!” He was certain of it… the so-called ‘vampire lord’ had led a group of followers against them what seemed like ages ago. The battle had been devastating. The ‘vampires’ had become so deranged, so intoxicated by pain and the scent of blood that no injury slowed their attacks. Only death slowed their progress. Neclord himself had been driven off the edge of a ravine and into a rushing river. There was no way he could have survived.

“A pale lioness arrived at our borders not long ago.” Gremio explained carefully. “She spoke to Safimoto. She can tell you the full account.”

“No need, what’s the summery?”

“Apparently, Neclord has returned. The rumors you and Viktor were following have been building. We’re not certain that this colony of ‘vampires’ is connected to him…”

Flik’s expression grew grim. “Heaven help us if it is…”
Gremio shook his head slowly, unwilling to entertain the thought. His nerves were frayed as they were, there was no need to get himself worked up again. “You look horrible.”

Flik sighed and ran a paw over his face. “Yes, I know. It’s been a very long walk. I fear I may have to wait before I can bash Viktor’s thick head in.”

“You shouldn’t dwell on it.” Gremio jerked his chin back towards the pride’s territory and turned himself about, walking at a slow but steady pace. Flik easily kept up, tired as he was, his pride sometimes got the better of him. He’d not be seen limping and hauling his aching backside back into the pride lands.

“I know, I know… Spare me one of your long-winded lectures.”

“It’s one of the perks I’ve gained in my older age.”

“Older age, please.” Flik snorted. “You can’t be much older than myself. If you’re grunting and groaning already I might as well leap off a cliff.”

“Let’s not.” Gremio chuckled, his eyes drifting back over his shoulder. “By the way, we found another young one along our boarders.”

“Well he’ll be in good company. How have the cubs been? I’d bet they’ve grown a bit.”

“Oh heavens yes…”, Gremio sighed, masking a quiet chuckle. “Little Riou has become Master Tir’s pupil. They’re always training together. Little Jowy has attached himself to Riou- the two are never seen without one another. It seems they both have some sort of…ability.”

“The seer sight?”

“Something like it.” Gremio tipped his head. “Apparently, they can see through the eyes of another.”

“Interesting.” Flik mused. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a seer bonding to another seer in such a way.”

“It must be fate.” He smiled a little wider. “Afterall, it’s fate that’s brought us all together here. Each one of us with our purpose. We trust each other, grow in each other. I find it encouraging that the heavens have blessed us with a manifestation of our most upheld belief.”

“Are you sure you’ve not joined up with the Chiraku?” Flik glanced over and gave Gremio a rough shove of his shoulder. The elder lion laughed and shook his head.

“Oh no… no… I fear the warrior’s blood runs thick through my veins. Sometimes I wish I could retire to something a little quieter, but my spirit would never allow it.”

“I can understand that.” Flik nodded, “A warrior’s spirit never quiets. No matter what we tell ourselves.”

“It’s hardly a bad thing.” Gremio pointed out. “Especially now with the young ones about. They’re wandering away from the den and finding trouble for themselves. With these rumors floating about it sounds as though we may have another conflict on our hands. Our spirits will need to be re-awakened if we’re going to hold strong.”

“Indeed.” Flik paused and threw a look over his shoulder, his eyes scanning the horizon line. “If the rumors are true, then no where is safe. It’s only a matter of time before they build up enough followers to march on the savannah once more.”

Word Count: 1,089