Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Homosexuality related to problems during childhood? o.o Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a homosexual who has had a problematic or difficult childhood?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 14 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 17 ]
Not sure
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 42

l o r d VOMIT f a c e

Mega Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:31 pm
I was in my french class today, and someone did a presentation on homosexuality.
They mentioned that some study showed homosexuality was (often) linked to the person having a problematic childhood...
(i.e. being abused, depression, bullying, etc.)

Now my first question is, if you're comfortable enough to answer:

Are you a homosexual who has had a problematic or difficult childhood?

I'd personally say I have.

And secondly,
What are your general thoughts on this? Have you ever come across any proof of this idea?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:27 pm
I'm homosexual and I have had a "difficult" childhood.

The problem with that statement is that difficult is very subjective. I don't feel that I had a difficult childhood, even though my family sort of broke down during my childhood.
As well, we often notice those who are gay and have had difficult childhoods because both are out of the norms, so we notice them a lot more and they seem bigger. A lot of people have difficult childhoods. Are they all gay? Of course not! But the fact that being gay initself is our of the norm and there are social privileges denied (aka. problems) for those who identify as gay makes it all that much more apparant. Thus we deduce that homosexuality is linked to a problematic childhood.

Gordums

BleedingInkXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:44 pm
I don't really know. Can't remember much (even though I'm not that old).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm bi, and I've dealt with divorce, so my dad is the one who takes care of me.
I've been bullied for my race before though. But besides this, nothing really wrong.

brighternight

Sex Symbol

l o r d VOMIT f a c e

Mega Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:07 pm
Gordums
I'm homosexual and I have had a "difficult" childhood.

The problem with that statement is that difficult is very subjective. I don't feel that I had a difficult childhood, even though my family sort of broke down during my childhood.
As well, we often notice those who are gay and have had difficult childhoods because both are out of the norms, so we notice them a lot more and they seem bigger. A lot of people have difficult childhoods. Are they all gay? Of course not! But the fact that being gay initself is our of the norm and there are social privileges denied (aka. problems) for those who identify as gay makes it all that much more apparant. Thus we deduce that homosexuality is linked to a problematic childhood.

That seems pretty logical, and I was thinking that too. However perhaps it's more likely that a difficult childhood will affect a person's sexual orientation? Not sure.
And yes I definitely agree it's very subjective, but that's what the study said xD

Thanks for the input though c:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm
DeathStarXII

I'm not surprised. The only reason I remember anything is because it was that bad :/  

l o r d VOMIT f a c e

Mega Lunatic

l o r d VOMIT f a c e

Mega Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:15 pm
Mio101

I'm bi, and I've dealt with divorce, so my dad is the one who takes care of me.
I've been bullied for my race before though. But besides this, nothing really wrong.

I'd personally say I'm pretty weak, so if I had to go through what you did...
it would probably affect me a lot, including the way I perceive men and women.

but anyway, thank you for sharing c:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:33 pm
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII

I'm not surprised. The only reason I remember anything is because it was that bad :/

I know that it...wasn't bad? Some slight bullying (in which I responded by punching the bullies later on), but I think that's about it. That - and some frequent nightmares on people I love dying and whatnot.

BleedingInkXIII

l o r d VOMIT f a c e

Mega Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:51 pm
DeathStarXII
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII

I know that it...wasn't bad? Some slight bullying (in which I responded by punching the bullies later on), but I think that's about it. That - and some frequent nightmares on people I love dying and whatnot.

Aw,
Seems like so many people have at least some bad memories from their childhood, no matter how small.
It's a shame. I wish things could just be....good in life?

Oh well... x.x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 pm
Well I didn't have the greatest childhood and I was bullied just because someone could bully me. But I don't think it matters if you straight, gay, or bi, anyone can have a harsh childhood.  

Yuki_no_Joo

iLegoBlock

Wheezing Sex Symbol

6,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:47 pm
Lots of people have problems during childhood, I dont think it relates to someones sexuality...

Thats making connections between two completely unrelated things.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I had an ordinary childhood. I had to deal with my dad getting joint custody of me when I was around 12, and feeling that tug of war between my 'rents, but that didn't affect my sexuality. I had already enticed my cousin to scissor with me when I was 4'ish, developed crushes on Maleficent, Snow White's stepmom, and became fascinated with Milla Jovovich long before my life became "complicated." I do have a thing for older women, if that means anything.

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

BleedingInkXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 pm
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII

Aw,
Seems like so many people have at least some bad memories from their childhood, no matter how small.
It's a shame. I wish things could just be....good in life?

Oh well... x.x

If everything in life was good, I'd think it'd be pretty dull. Not the same, you know?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 pm
Nope. Perfectly normal, happy childhood for me. I personally believe that the two are unrelated. I always felt this theory was just another way of saying there is something wrong with us.  

bollier

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:48 am
Awesome childhood here, I was never bullied, harrased, mistreated nor abused. I'd say i had a pretty good childhood and i've liked men/boys since i was like 5 maybe? not sexually, but i defnetly found them more attractive and interesting.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff