Back to Guilds

Tags: TARDIS, Doctor, Cybermen, Gallifrey, Dalek 

Reply The T.A.R.D.I.S.
A Good Man Goes to War Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What did you think of this week's episode?
  Awesome!
  Pretty good.
  Okay, I guess.
  Not very good.
  Awful!
View Results

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:30 pm
wahmbulance SPOILERS wahmbulance

Well, what did everyone think of the mid-series finale? I thought it was a great episode; lots of new info, but pulled off very well. I liked the insight into the Doctor, how he's become a warrior in some people's eyes. And what the hell is gonna happen with baby Melody? The part with her being flesh literally made my jaw drop! We know she's gonna turn out all right, but what about her being part time lord?

To be honest, I am kinda disappointed with the River Song reveal; I'd suspected it for a while. Still, I do think it's interesting, and want to know how Amy and Rory will deal with it. The whole thing made the Doctor-River romance a bit... ew in my mind, though. Eh.

I'm kinda loving the next episode's title though. "Let's Kill Hitler?" Very nice, Moffat.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:07 pm
Yes, I liked it.
I was a wee bit disappointed with the River Song reveal too...not sure why, it just doesn't seem as interesting as it could have been.
After such a build up.
And yea, the romance is definitely ew-ish now. Plus I still find her irritating which I thought I wouldn't once I knew who she is...

And I agree that all of the new info was well introduced.

So keen for the next episode!

that_crazy_fool

iBarty

Aged Humorist

9,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:25 am
The reveal was a big wtf moment for me..and now I have to wait for the rest of the season..argh! It's a good thing Torchwood starts up soon. I thought the episode was pretty good overall however.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 pm
I know what you mean bout baby Melidy being a flesh at the end, i was totally stunned by that. I thought River Song was going to be something else instead of Amy's and Rory's child...oh well I want to see how this all plays out and all. But it was kinda funny how the Doctor reacted when he found out and all, lol and I do agree and love the new info for the title  

wolf_tsuki_darkangel

[Lacrimosa]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm
I honestly don't see why the romance is gross. The Doctor isn't snogging a baby, he's involved with River Song. A grown woman who can make her own decisions. That makes no sense to me.

I totally saw River Song being Amy and Rory's baby. I've seen it since they said Amy was pregnant, I mean come on. It was kind of obvious. And when she's all, "Little Melody" I was like, "AHAHA, KNEW IT." It really wasn't that shocking. xD But me and my friends are WAY into it and have been discussing the episodes in depth and watching, rewatching, and rewatching again to find little clues and such.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 pm
I'm not sure if it's River as a character I don't like, or the actress behind the character. I think that the writers are going to go in the direction of having a younger River Song be a new companion of the doctor after they save the younger river, who I'm sure everyone naturally assumes is the girl in the astronaut suit that killed the doctor in the first place. Anyway with a younger River as a companion then that would mean a new actress, and maybe a more likable character. Of course there could be an arc where they save River before the whole her killing the doctor thing thus changing the course of the future. I know that that is a no-no in the world of Dr. Who, but since River was born outside of her's and her parents timeline would this still apply? sorry I'm kind of rambling there.  

MasterThespian_10

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I have a lot to say about this episode but no time to post now.
    Don't give up on this thread, guys, I will be back later. c:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 am
I've always loved River Song, and I still do. I kind of saw it coming, but it still had me screaming with excitement.

But now this raises questions for me.

Like, who is the little girl that regenerated? They hinted a lot at her being Amy's child, which means the little girl is River, which means River can regenerate.

Which brings up the question, why didn't she do that when she died back when she was first introduced?

And also, what about the Doctor's timeline and River's timeline being backwards to each other's? Anything that's a first for one of them, is the last for the other.

So wouldn't that mean that if the Doctor meets baby Melody, the real one, it'll be his last time ever seeing River Song? What about all the dates that are hinted at? All the history they have? What loops will be thrown in now to get around all this?

I know it's sad, and I apologize to Rory and Amy(though they're only characters) but I really hope that their baby isn't found until the Doctor gets to enjoy all those moments with River ):

And then of course, the part of me that ships 9/Rose and 10/Rose is beginning to hate the 11/River shipper in me. But I try to calm that down with glorious thoughts of 10.5/Rose shipping.

Cadenza of the Heart

Inquisitor

MasterThespian_10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 pm
Quote:
I've always loved River Song, and I still do. I kind of saw it coming, but it still had me screaming with excitement.

But now this raises questions for me.

Like, who is the little girl that regenerated? They hinted a lot at her being Amy's child, which means the little girl is River, which means River can regenerate.

Which brings up the question, why didn't she do that when she died back when she was first introduced?

And also, what about the Doctor's timeline and River's timeline being backwards to each other's? Anything that's a first for one of them, is the last for the other.

So wouldn't that mean that if the Doctor meets baby Melody, the real one, it'll be his last time ever seeing River Song? What about all the dates that are hinted at? All the history they have? What loops will be thrown in now to get around all this?

I know it's sad, and I apologize to Rory and Amy(though they're only characters) but I really hope that their baby isn't found until the Doctor gets to enjoy all those moments with River ):

And then of course, the part of me that ships 9/Rose and 10/Rose is beginning to hate the 11/River shipper in me. But I try to calm that down with glorious thoughts of 10.5/Rose shipping.

To answer your question about the timelines. It is as River gets older the doctor knows her less. As the Doctor gets older, He knows River more. The doctor met River when she was older, though River had known the doctor all of her life. It's one of those wibbly-wobbly parts of time travel.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:07 am
I loved the episode, and felt so sorry for Amy for most of it. It was kind of depressing to me...  

Clever Scotch Sheep

6,200 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200

DiscordWhovian

Junior Genius

4,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:34 pm
I just figured something out! It may have nothing to do with anything but at least listen.
I took the phrase: Devils Run When a Good Man Goes To War.

I then flipped it backwards. I realised that devils backwards has the word lived in it. after crossing out a few letters you get:

raw ot seog am do a new urs lived

notice the last six words.

I took this and soon came up with the phrase:
What so am do anew urs lived

Then I put in a few missing words and punctuation to get:

What so I am a good man? Urs lived. (or !)

What this means I do not know but it might mean something!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:35 pm
This episode was highly satisfying. But also left me wanting more. [/cliche]

I had already guessed ahead of time that River would turn out to be Amy and Rory's daughter, and this episode didn't disappoint.

It was hard for me to watch Melody being taken away, and when she dissolved into Flesh, my heart broke for Amy. I have a little four-month-old, and losing a baby hits really close to home. I also did not catch onto that. Like the Doctor, I was fooled twice!

I also got it right away when they named her Melody Pond. And does anyone remember the TARDIS's words to Rory about the "river in the forest"? I thought when she said "river" that it was referring to River. And "River Song" being the translation of Melody's name in the language of the Gamma forests explains the "forest" part. Also makes me wonder if little Melody/River might spend some time there before she is rescued.

I don't feel weird about River and the Doctor being an item. This may be because I like the pair (for some odd reason - I usually am not fond of obnoxious female characters).

But we must remember that the Doctor met River Song first, in his tenth regeneration. Then he met Amy, then Rory. So the scenario is closer to Back to the Future. You can think of it more like the Doctor and River are in River's parents' past, not that the Doctor and Amy and Rory are in Amy and Rory's daughter's future.

Secondly, marrying your father's friend was pretty common up to a few centuries ago. Case in point, Emma marries her father's lifelong friend Mr. Knightly in Jane Austen's novel. Most people don't have any problem with that.

I suspect this:

MasterThespian_10
Of course there could be an arc where they save River before the whole her killing the doctor thing thus changing the course of the future. I know that that is a no-no in the world of Dr. Who, but since River was born outside of her's and her parents timeline would this still apply? sorry I'm kind of rambling there.

There are all sorts of possibilities with River because she's sort of displaced in time. She's of the twentieth century but she was conceived in the TARDIS and born in the future. River's "home base" seems to be in the 4000s, as she is always picked up and dropped off from that era. Mark my words, they're gonna do something timey-wimey to make it work!

Cadenza of the Heart

I wonder about this too.

Cadenza of the Heart

Arg, this part is so frustrating, isn't it? It's like sometimes my mind grasps it and then it slips away again!

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

MasterThespian_10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:07 pm
Maybe River is in her last regeneration? That is why she would not be able to regenerate when she died.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 am
Cadenza of the Heart

River took the Doctor's place in the library because she knew it would burn out both his hearts, thus making it impossible for him to regenerate. I'm assuming that would apply to her as well. Plus, I think that her being mostly human would limit her regenerative abilities.  

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Cadenza of the Heart

Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 am
Miss Marinara Sauce
Cadenza of the Heart

River took the Doctor's place in the library because she knew it would burn out both his hearts, thus making it impossible for him to regenerate. I'm assuming that would apply to her as well. Plus, I think that her being mostly human would limit her regenerative abilities.

Ah! I forgot that part, it's been a long while since I last watched that episode.  
The T.A.R.D.I.S.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff