Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Spaying does?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:39 am
Alright, so, I have 3 rabbits. A neutered male and 2 intact females. I want to get the does spayed, because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Problem is, I can't shell out the $280 for them to have their exams and surgeries. Is there a certain age where spaying them is no longer an advantage? Like, is there an age where the disadvantages outweigh the advantages?

It's so cute cause they all show affection VERY differently. Mocho nuzzles your hand and 'asks' for his head rubbed, Decaf licks your hands, and Latte will softly bite you in a love nibble. It's really sweet actually since the girls don't like to be cuddled as much as Mocho likes it, but because they see him getting head scritches, they are starting to come around to the idea. Latte will actually let you give her scratches between the eyes, and Decaf would rather just sit and lick your fingers x3  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 am
In dogs it only starts to be an issue if they are senior and/or have any conditions putting them at a greater risk for anesthesia. Such as, obesity, kidney disease, heart murmur etc. An cats and dogs, the behaviors that sterilizing prevents maybe just be permanent after a certain age.

I don't know about rabbits, but I do know if you DONT spay them, like ferrets, they are at a very high risk for early death. I really can't remember why. Mammary tumors perhaps? Or are they constant ovulators like ferrets?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:25 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
In dogs it only starts to be an issue if they are senior and/or have any conditions putting them at a greater risk for anesthesia. Such as, obesity, kidney disease, heart murmur etc. An cats and dogs, the behaviors that sterilizing prevents maybe just be permanent after a certain age.

I don't know about rabbits, but I do know if you DONT spay them, like ferrets, they are at a very high risk for early death. I really can't remember why. Mammary tumors perhaps? Or are they constant ovulators like ferrets?
uterine cancer,like 80&#xof; unspayed does get it  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:52 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

That's what I thought it was. I do NOT want my girls dying early (who does?), because they're my dad's constant companions and sources of entertainment. He can deny it all he wants, but his face totally sparkles when he talks about some cute little things the bunnies did, whether it was a 'hover hop' or tossing the oats tin around.

Another question. Mocho is four years old and already showing some signs of cataracts. Like, his eyes are already decently cloudy. Is there any way to slow it down or anything? I know that the girls will help him in new situations, as they're all very closely bonded, but I still don't want my poor baby blind :<  

Azusanga

angelbankai45

Friendly Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:56 pm
Azusanga
Cowgirl-with-heart
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

That's what I thought it was. I do NOT want my girls dying early (who does?), because they're my dad's constant companions and sources of entertainment. He can deny it all he wants, but his face totally sparkles when he talks about some cute little things the bunnies did, whether it was a 'hover hop' or tossing the oats tin around.

Another question. Mocho is four years old and already showing some signs of cataracts. Like, his eyes are already decently cloudy. Is there any way to slow it down or anything? I know that the girls will help him in new situations, as they're all very closely bonded, but I still don't want my poor baby blind :<

Ask your vet if anything can be done to help him.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games