Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Dont count your chickens until they hatch

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

animegalash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 pm
I've learned the meaning of this lately. I have a hen who was sitting on about 12 eggs. One broke and dropped during incubation. I also had two die so far during hatching. They werent under the hen so i belive they died due to not enough humidity, one also looked like the hen may have stepped on it. Well the majority havent hatched so i dont know if they were not fertilized or what. Im leaving them with her for a few more days just in case though. On the bright side I have 3 chicks sucessfully hatched and very healthy!
One is a Golden Comet mix. Another is an Amerucauna mix. And then the other one is an unknown mix. One yellow and 2 brown. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Aww, that sucks. I wish you good luck on the remaining eggs! I just got my first chickens, 2 silkies. Any pics of your new babies?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:43 pm
awe good luck with the rest of your babies! (12 is ALOT to hatch for one hen though) you can take a flash light and shine it into the egg,with mine,I couldnt see through,test it with a fresh egg first,so you know what to look for smile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 pm
Mine are hard to see through unfortunately. I was really hoping for some polish eggs to hatch, but im not sure if that will happen anymore. They are my favorite breed and my two polish hens just up and dissapeared this weekend without a trace. :/

I uploaded pics but for some reason they arent showing up on photobucket. I'm going to keep trying though.  

animegalash

animegalash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:33 pm
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:11 pm
Ha biggrin I love the picture of the chick sitting on the hen. So cute!  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

animegalash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm
Thanks thats my favorite too! Its like a piggy back ride. xd

Another update: My guinea sitting on some eggs is very protective of them and i want to be able to handle the babies once they hatch so i think once they hatch im going to let this hen foster them. Do you guys think she will allow new babies or do you think she will want to stick with the ones she has and kick the new ones out? I was candling some of the eggs and i was using my phone as a decoy because she was flaring up and hissing at me. Well my phone case has a pretty nasty scratch on it now. It looks like at least the amerucauna egg she is sitting on might hatch. I just candled that one and a polish egg. I'd have to say the polish egg didn't look too promising. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 pm
animegalash
Thanks thats my favorite too! Its like a piggy back ride. xd

Another update: My guinea sitting on some eggs is very protective of them and i want to be able to handle the babies once they hatch so i think once they hatch im going to let this hen foster them. Do you guys think she will allow new babies or do you think she will want to stick with the ones she has and kick the new ones out? I was candling some of the eggs and i was using my phone as a decoy because she was flaring up and hissing at me. Well my phone case has a pretty nasty scratch on it now. It looks like at least the amerucauna egg she is sitting on might hatch. I just candled that one and a polish egg. I'd have to say the polish egg didn't look too promising. sad
if theyre close to the same age she probably will,but you want to watch just to be sure,when my first ever hatched chick was a baby,she used to jump on her moms back,and ride around up there LOL  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items