Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Nintendo 3DS Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where all the Nintendo 3DS owners can come together. 

Tags: Nintendo 3DS, Friend Codes, N3DS, Nintendo, Mario 

Reply The Official Nintendo 3DS Guild
Region Lock...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hilliard Jag Nu

Magical Gekko

5,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm
If anyone hasn't heard yet, the 3DS IS region locked. Wherever you bought/got your 3DS from, it will only play games from that area (i.e. US 3DS only plays US 3DS games).
Not sure about original DS games, but 3DS games are definite. Anyone looking forward to getting a game like "Prof. Layton vs. Phoenix Wright" or anything not planned/in the US should be prepared to get an Import console if you haven't already decided to go 'balls-to-the-wall' and try to use/buy a flash cart for the 3DS...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:50 pm
This just in: R4 for DS doesn't work. We will bring you more live coverage of this travesty when we get it! For Gaia Online's Official 3DS Guild, I'm Idyr of the dead! JagPanzer, back to you!

(Already confirmed the DS flash carts don't work, not sure about 3DS flash carts.)  

Idyr of the dead

Lonely Hunter

7,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Survivor 150
  • Entrepreneur 150

Hilliard Jag Nu

Magical Gekko

5,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 pm
Idyr of the dead
This just in: R4 for DS doesn't work. We will bring you more live coverage of this travesty when we get it! For Gaia Online's Official 3DS Guild, I'm Idyr of the dead! JagPanzer, back to you!

(Already confirmed the DS flash carts don't work, not sure about 3DS flash carts.)

Thanks for the heads up! We'll have more news for you 3DS owners in new posts, and updates to this one as well! As stated, DS Flash Carts DO NOT work for 3DS. An added note for some unwary, if you plan to buy a 3DS flash cart and use it (whenever it MAY be released) please note that 3DS systems keep a game history of all games played on the system, which periodically will be sent via internet to Nintendo. If found using an "unregistered" cartridge, Nintendo will send a "BRICKING" code to shut your device down permanently. No point of calling in complaints as Nintendo will have your record and why they did it. Game history cannot be deleted.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:47 am
JagPanzer
Idyr of the dead

Thanks for the heads up! We'll have more news for you 3DS owners in new posts, and updates to this one as well! As stated, DS Flash Carts DO NOT work for 3DS. An added note for some unwary, if you plan to buy a 3DS flash cart and use it (whenever it MAY be released) please note that 3DS systems keep a game history of all games played on the system, which periodically will be sent via internet to Nintendo. If found using an "unregistered" cartridge, Nintendo will send a "BRICKING" code to shut your device down permanently. No point of calling in complaints as Nintendo will have your record and why they did it. Game history cannot be deleted.
Hey, I've been researching upon the bricking and it still hasn't been confirmed if it's a scare tactic or not.
Here's an arguement against the fact: [x].

Also, all DS games will work on any region of 3DS.
PSS The R4 on the normal DS didn't work for the DSi, so a substitute was released. The same will probably happen for the 3DS.

Jettyguy
Captain

Brand Suncircle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:18 pm
I might as well add this in, despite the thread already started, but the DSi Action Replay has also been killed by the 3DS OS. I have confirmed this with my own DSi AR, as I wanted to enter codes for Pokemon White. I put it in, and boom, doesn't recognize the the card. Just comes up with a blank game.

I am sure Datel will announce soon a 3DS AR. But time will tell.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm
And to confirm: Import DS games WILL indeed work for the 3DS. I just popped in Shooting Star Rockman Black Ace and my 3DS did recognize it, and it does play.

So at least DS games are not Region Locked on the 3DS.  

Brand Suncircle

Maxmel
Vice Captain

Wealthy Millionaire

6,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:00 am
Shade NightWolf
And to confirm: Import DS games WILL indeed work for the 3DS. I just popped in Shooting Star Rockman Black Ace and my 3DS did recognize it, and it does play.

So at least DS games are not Region Locked on the 3DS.

Thats good to know because there is a Bomberman DS Game Eurpoe has that I have that I had been wondering if it would work on my system. its supposed to be a sequel to the DS Game US Version.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 am
It's kind of surprising that they would region lock the 3DS games but not the regular DS games. Could it be a coding issue that was overlooked?  

Brand Suncircle

Tricky Tech

Invisible Stalker

12,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Are they really region locked? Or is it only for 3DS games. I have a French Pokemon game and it works fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:02 pm
Twisted In Twilight

Are they really region locked? Or is it only for 3DS games. I have a French Pokemon game and it works fine.
It's only the 3DS games fortunately :3  

Jettyguy
Captain

The Official Nintendo 3DS Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas