Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Dealing with being a transperson at school

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 pm
Hello there,
I'm Joseph the transman
Lately I've been frustrated with my high school because in my classes people are somewhat judgemental which is annoying sometimes and some stoner wannabes in my art class whisper things like "dyke, lesbo, tranny." It's really getting to me. I'm having a parent/teacher meeting next Tuesday and don't know how to disclose to my school officials.
I feel like I'm going crazy just thinking about it.
><;
Advice, please.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:20 am
Heya, Joseph.
I'm Shane, I know what you're going through.
I don't go into the bathrooms because of it- my friend actually arranged for my to use a faculty mens room (i love her so much.) The best thing to do is to not let it bother you. It's fear or people being different and ignorance that drives them. From personal experience I know that the school officials tend to let it slide with having a small auditorium thing about 'anti-gay bullying' or one day detention for the ********. The teachers also HAPPEN not to hear them. -.e
But in any case, do your parents know?

Caffeinated ScArEcRoW

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 pm
Caffeinated ScArEcRoW
Heya, Joseph.
I'm Shane, I know what you're going through.
I don't go into the bathrooms because of it- my friend actually arranged for my to use a faculty mens room (i love her so much.) The best thing to do is to not let it bother you. It's fear or people being different and ignorance that drives them. From personal experience I know that the school officials tend to let it slide with having a small auditorium thing about 'anti-gay bullying' or one day detention for the ********. The teachers also HAPPEN not to hear them. -.e
But in any case, do your parents know?

Yeah, they know but haven't fully embraced it yet.
They are indifferent.
Also, have access to the library bathroom.
Hehe
^_^
Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:22 pm
How old do you have to be to get a sex-change?  

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

Aristocratic Views

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:56 pm
I had the same thing happening to me...
My parents actually arranged for me to be pulled out of school, and I'll be either moving to Switzerland or transferring to a different school soon, so it's been a while since I've been to school,but here is how I dealt with it:
-Use only unisex bathrooms (usually found in the nurse's office/library)
-Try to find an LGBT club/ accepting people to be around
-Talk to counselor about name calling/bullying
(something that I wouldn't advise,but did myself is that I started a fight with the people who were bullying me. BAD IDEA.)

You might want to consider asking about transferring somewhere that people don't know that you're trans.
It sucks, and it feels like you're running away from the problem, but, if it's too uncomfortable for you where you are now, you should go.
Because as much as it sucks to have to run from intolerant people, sometimes, it's the best option.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 am
Well I can't really say I have the same issue, because I like being a girl.
But I get made fun of on different aspects, but they have the same intent.
I am homeschooled but I have joined clubs and stuff to attend in this school thing. Anyways, the people in this school thing are like God worshippers so, anything different is considered the devil and their parents tell them to not talk to me and stuff. Problem is mainly the girls though, guys are more chillax. In the bathroom actually, they were saying something about me cutting and that's why I wear hoodies. I took off my hoodie and they were in disbelief and I told them to get over, them talking doesn't change who I will be. Pretty much ignore the problem and tell them to just get over it. They can't change who you are, their assumptions are probably picked out of their a**. I'm catholic, I believe there is a God. I'm just as normal, and you are too. Besides, what is normal, we all have odd things about us which are not odd. If you ignore it, it gets boring to make fun of someone. But I don't know if it'd be any different if the girls in my class knew I liked girls, I'd probably still be a sinning devil. ._. Doesn't affect me.. In fact, I plan on making myself look more devilish, they give mean laugh to see then stuck in a demented mindset. And I don't look that devilish, my dark hair and such comes naturally and I wear clothes that are quite light. I honestly don't see anything wrong with transgenders. My ex was one, and pretty much my next relationships I plan on going with one. They look much better than guys in my opinion. Also, cold stares are good. Shows they don't affect you. As far as bathroom, go into the family ones. I just go into family ones because they're bigger. And it also gives me space when I have anxiety attacks. That's not from people though, more so my dad, I see someone I like, or I'm nervous like when I go to the doctors and they're all in your business. Mhm. But don't worry! ;D  

Emerald Zombie

Dedicated Player

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces