Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Help and Advice needed(anxiety and depression in my gf)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muse_of_the_Soul

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:41 pm
User Image
"Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest;

My girlfriend has high anxiety issues. She used to(and occasionally still) cuts, and has depression based on her anxiety.

She told my mom today about my pipe(which my mom didn't care about; her and my stepdad both smoke weed too, so that may explain why), all because she thought I was out getting high, even after I told her where I was(which was at home sleeping because I was sick with a sinus infection). She gets so worked up over her anxiety that she doesn't listen because she keeps rambling on and on about what's wrong with everything.

All I ask here is how can I get her to calm down and listen? She makes it so I just wanna say ******** it and walk out. I refuse to though; She means everything to me.

I've tried the works. Massages. Telling her to shower to relax. Even went as far as getting her her favorite chocolate, but she still gets worked up. All I want is a way to get through to her.

I really do love her, and I care for her more than anyone she's dated. I need a way for her to listen to me.

inb4 breakup and/or backhand.

Make the most of what you have. It is later than you think."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 am
Keep in mind that people with these types of conditions usually see themselves at fault. Remember that it's never you, her family, her friends, or any other person who's causing the effect; it's simply her. Understand this concept, because it will bridge onto other approaches.

Ironically, never pin-point her as the cause of her problems. Do not mention negative words ("anxiety, "depressed," "cutting," etc), as it might spark unwanted behaviors. Instead, focus on things she views as positive. I know you gave her her favorite chocolate, but materialistic needs are not nearly as important as psychological needs. In other words, comfort her verbally; tell her something to get her to smile or at least acknowledge that you genuinely care.

Pass this method onto her friends and family. Collectively, all of you must strive to create a positive environment for her. I understand that her perception of the world is rather downtroddened at the moment, but that's where you come in.

Hope things turn out for the better. Best Wishes.

__
Source: I am a suicide survivor.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out