help me Learn Japanese manners and customs ^^

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

frickmefranco

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm
me and my sister are going to Japan over the summer and have no idea how to act sweatdrop can somebody help us learn how to act and what not to do (: that would b helpful  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:49 pm
JeTaimex_xlove
me and my sister are going to Japan over the summer and have no idea how to act sweatdrop can somebody help us learn how to act and what not to do (: that would b helpful

you should watch some Jdramas or movies, u can see how people act, use their body language and use slang.  

Daeuil

5,100 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:21 pm
also you try to watch anime shows too see how they interact with others and look at their face expression too and plus listen how they pronounce words .  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:55 am

Actually I can honestly say that watching anime or drama won't really boost your understanding of Japanese customs and manners ><

I would recommend google, but some basic etiquette:

- People rarely do a full bow, usually a slight incline of the head is good enough
- Walk on the left side of streets, and stand on the left side of escalators
- Most stores have tray where you put your money as payment, so don't hand them the money directly unless there isn't a tray in sight.
- When on the train/bus, do not make calls or answer any on your cell phone, it's considered very rude.
- Try not to eat while walking, that is also considered rude.
- There are very few garbage cans in Japan, so if you buy a snack it's usually best to have an extra bag in your bag to carry garbage (though convenience stores usually have trash cans in front)
- Flash photography, tripod photography is frowned upon as is taking pictures of people (ie. on a super full train) without permission is illegal
- If going to an onsen, do not wear your towel/bathing suit in. Always bathe before entering the hot springs, and tie your hair up and bring the small towel usually provided to wipe up sweat (or just fold it up and rest it on your head)

Is there anything you plan in doing in particular? I'm not sure what to cover, haha...

lennersmii
Crew

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 am
^ very good advice. . . .

I would still suggest Jdrama anyway because they are funny biggrin
Not necessarily good for learning mannerism. . .
Especially horrible if you get fiction lag like me xD  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:44 pm
thanks for the great advise ^^ and im not really looking for anything in particular but its great to know these things smile as for the walking and eating thing...i guess that means hot pockets are out of the question then  

frickmefranco

Tipsy Gekko

lennersmii
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:28 am
JeTaimex_xlove
thanks for the great advise ^^ and im not really looking for anything in particular but its great to know these things smile as for the walking and eating thing...i guess that means hot pockets are out of the question then

They actually don't have hot pockets in Japan... whee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 am
lennersmii
JeTaimex_xlove

No hot pockets?? that's a little sad. . . haha  

Miyu_Aizawa

frickmefranco

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:27 pm
Miyu_Aizawa
lennersmii
JeTaimex_xlove

aww man! haha well how about candy and lolipops and stuff? does that count as food wen ur walking down the street?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 pm
JeTaimex_xlove
Miyu_Aizawa
lennersmii
JeTaimex_xlove

aww man! haha well how about candy and lolipops and stuff? does that count as food wen ur walking down the street?

People rarely eat lolipops in Japan, and I think candy is okay? Just not a bag of chips, etc...

lennersmii
Crew

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces