Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 pm
Has anyone been on one of those tours? Was it any good? They seem too expensive for being on a bus the majority of the time. I don't know if I would want to see all the typical tourist sights either. I would want to see a few, but not all of them. I would want to explore myself.

Comments please. <3  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:43 pm
I haven't been on a tour like that, but I went on a mini exchange (only 10 days D; ) with 9 other students from my town to Minami Alps, where we stayed with families there. I personally think that that was a great way to first experience Japan, because you can be immersed in the culture (and you're not on a bus all the time xD), but you're not completely on your own, either. But, obviously, opportunities like that don't pop up often. Sooo, I would probably suggest that if you've never been there before, go with a group. Having translators tail you everywhere can be extremely useful -- especially if you end up having to pay a visit to the hospital like I did |D (long story). Also, being with a tour often gives you priority when getting into places |D So you don't have to queue as long, and someone else sorts out the tickets.

And as for wanting to do your own exploring, maybe you could do what me and my sister are planning to do sometime soon -- that is, start off on a tour group, but organise to stay in Japan for a little while longer after the tour to go and do anything that the tour missed. c:

xx..Badwolf..xx

Magical Girl

37,250 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:12 pm
xx..Badwolf..xx
I haven't been on a tour like that, but I went on a mini exchange (only 10 days D; ) with 9 other students from my town to Minami Alps, where we stayed with families there. I personally think that that was a great way to first experience Japan, because you can be immersed in the culture (and you're not on a bus all the time xD), but you're not completely on your own, either. But, obviously, opportunities like that don't pop up often. Sooo, I would probably suggest that if you've never been there before, go with a group. Having translators tail you everywhere can be extremely useful -- especially if you end up having to pay a visit to the hospital like I did |D (long story). Also, being with a tour often gives you priority when getting into places |D So you don't have to queue as long, and someone else sorts out the tickets.

And as for wanting to do your own exploring, maybe you could do what me and my sister are planning to do sometime soon -- that is, start off on a tour group, but organise to stay in Japan for a little while longer after the tour to go and do anything that the tour missed. c:

I thought about that, but if you've seen the prices they're minimum 2.5k. The one I would do is Tokyo and somewhere else, and there's a lot of free time. I just want to be able to get help if I need it. English help. I would go for 2 to 4 weeks if I was going. If I can afford it that is.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:28 am
Try and go on exchange there first and meet some locals. I bought some stuff cheap at Shibuya 109 because my friends were all looking for goods that were on sale (and they told me when I was getting ripped off). You can save both time and money. Have fun, but be sure to make it back before your curfew (depending on the institution your program's in). I almost didn't. lol  

Kakigoori_Oujo

A Sojourner

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 pm
I hope you don't plan on traveling to the earthquake/tsunami struck parts of Japan. If so, best of luck then ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:51 am
I'm in the navy and I am stationed in yokosuka japan
I was here for the earthquake and just got back from CVN 73's emergency evacuation....which was completely worthless but yeah I'm here and we military get to go on even the best tours for like 20 dollars or less  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:50 pm
Well lucky for the military. So far my grandma went with a family to have a tour of Japan was nice. It was last week or month ago.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 am
kesuke uchiha
I was here for the earthquake and just got back from CVN 73's emergency evacuation....which was completely worthless but yeah I'm here and we military get to go on even the best tours for like 20 dollars or less

My cousin was stationed there a couple years ago, but she's a distant cousin so I don't hear much. She was in Japan, and than in Iran/Iraq when they had the first POW who was female.(Doing the same job as here,) So it was a long time ago when she was in Japan.

I wouldn't qualify to be in any military service. I was approached my a requiter, and I asked him one question, he responded with well maybe there's another option for you. Not that I was looking at the military, but I would have kept my options open. I don't qualify, but I'm looking into working for a Veterans hospital, which I heard had great benefits including being stationed all over the world.

How much English/ Japanese do you use?

Glad you're ok.  

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 pm
Catherine
kesuke uchiha

My cousin was stationed there a couple years ago, but she's a distant cousin so I don't hear much. She was in Japan, and than in Iran/Iraq when they had the first POW who was female.(Doing the same job as here,) So it was a long time ago when she was in Japan.

I wouldn't qualify to be in any military service. I was approached my a requiter, and I asked him one question, he responded with well maybe there's another option for you. Not that I was looking at the military, but I would have kept my options open. I don't qualify, but I'm looking into working for a Veterans hospital, which I heard had great benefits including being stationed all over the world.

How much English/ Japanese do you use?

Glad you're ok.

....I dont know any japanese T^T
every time I go out to get more lucky cat statues all I can say is
" neko?"
but I am very polite and they seem to enjoy that....  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:57 pm
I've never been on a tour, much less to the the country itself. I was going to go this past March, but after the disaster, I did not find it prudent enough to go. I kind of left my seat open for those who had family and friends there and needed to go. Anyways, I digress. I'll be giving it another shot next March. Personally, I'm more of a lets go exploring on our own type of tourist. I'm not really into the big crowds so I prefer to visit some of the less popular attractions. However I might join one of those mini day-tours from time to time. I'll be staying there for about a month. so time is not a big deal. As far as costs go, I heard that you can hire a volunteer tour guide in some places. All you gotta do is pay for their tickets if you're going in to some museum or something, transportation, and food. If you really want to know what your best options are, I recommend you get yourself a travel guide book. Frommer's, Fodder's, and Lonely Planet are pretty good. I read all three and a couple of the lesser known publishings.

As far as tour prices go... that 2.5k tour doesn't sound too bad of a deal if you're looking to visit the major attractions in a more constrained amount of time. I hear they're quite the efficient option when you're short on time. smile  

kuroikappa

Friendly Shapeshifter

12,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items