Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Fertility and Gynecology Subforum
Monthly yeast infections? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:12 pm
So here's a fair warning.. this post is going to be pretty TMI. ;D

After using tampons for many years.. and only having three yeast infections I switched to using the Diva Cup.
After a few months of using my cup after I took my cup out I'd end up with a terrible yeast infection.
I made sure to clean the cup, boiling, peroxide.. antibacterial soap, to make sure it was fully clean (and yes I made sure to boil it again after using soap or peroxide on it)
About three periods ago I switched to using tampons for the last couple of days.. low and behold.. it worked! No yeast infections for two cycles! Then this month I did the same thing.. used the cup for two days, tampons for two.. and ended up with a terrible yeast infection.

I've been taking acidophilous orally morning and night, and inserting two acidophilous pills vaginally in the evening and it seems to be almost gone.. discovered it on Monday morning and it's now Thursday afternoon. The only downside of the pills are.. just like otc Monastat and junk they drip out.. get sticky.. and dry out my labia.. a lot.. to the point where it's painful and peeling. I've tried the one day methods.. the no mess methods.. pretty much all otc things and they either don't work (the one day one cost over $10 and I still had a yeast infection!) and all the "no mess ones" still drip out and cause issues.

Is there anything else I can do to help treat them.. that won't cause this crazy dryness? I have some itch relief cream.. but I'm not sure if that will help with the dryness or not.
Also.. any ideas as to what is causing them? I'm thinking it's my cup.. but I'm not totally sure why it would be causing them... and when I use tampons I make sure to take them out at the 7 hour point.
I'm just getting really irritated of bleeding for a 4 days, then having a yeast infection for about 7 days. =/ It's not fun.. it's over 11 days a month where I can't have sex. crying

Also I'm thinking of picking up some coconut oil to use a lubricant since apparently it has properties that help fight off yeast infections.. would it work as a vaginal moisturizer?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 pm
There are actually a bunch of lubes which are marketed as vaginal moisturizers in addition to being used for sex. 3nodding I'm working on a big huge chart for my practicum right now, and the information is also going to be incorporated into a sticky at some point in the future. If you'd like some brands, let me know and I'll give you a few that I've noticed.

As for the cause of your yeast infections, it could be due to the ingredients in your Diva Cup. However I'm not familiar with it (Lorien is though), so hopefully someone else can answer that for you. If you're using lubricants when having sex, it could be due to some ingredients in your lube of choice (usually glycerin and/or parabens).

I'm not sure about coconut oil as a vaginal moisturizer, but again maybe someone else has more information on that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil#Cosmetics_and_skin_treatments  

Nikolita
Captain

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 am
Ouu; a couple of brands would be nice. =]
My v****a is pretty cranky when it comes to well.. everything! XD
Right now I am using Durex Play 'More' the ingredients are "Ingredients: Purified Water, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide" I've been looking for a new lube since the bottle is nearly empty and I'm not the biggest fan of it. It can be sticky, it dries out fairly easily, and if I tear a bit before it gets used it burns. D:

The cup is made out of silicone.. which I thought was pretty good for how it interacts with skin.
Maybe I'm just not cleaning it enough or something, which very well could be the case.

I've heard quite a few good things from natural health folks about it.
Anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. This is probably the main reason why I want to try it! XD
A little goes a LONG way.
Won't stain sheets even though it is an oil.
All natural (if you get pure virgin coconut oil).
The only downsides that I've read about are that you can't use it with condoms, it can be hard to find, and it can be a bit expensive. But I don't use condoms.. and the other things.. I'm committed to finding it and testing it out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am
Ok, if you do decide to test it out, please let us know how it works? I've never heard of anyone trying it as a lubricant/moisturizer before.

Some brands that I've seen so far:

Water-based - safe for condoms, no glycerin or parabens

- Astroglide Glycerin & Paraben Free
- KY Sensitive Jelly
- Lifestyles Natural Desire (not 100% sure about this one though)
- Wet Naturals (for women) - Beautifully Bare, Sensual Strawberry & Silky Supreme
- Comfort Personal Lubricant - Sensitive Skin
- Hathor Aphrodisia Lubricant Pure
- Good Clean Love - Cinnamon Vanilla, Lavender Rose & Almost Naked Organic
- All Sliquid lubes
- BabeLube
- All BabeLicious lubes (flavored)
- Blossom Organics - Pure Pleasure, Warm Sensation & Natural Moisturizing

Silicone-based - safe for condoms, no glycerin or parabens

- Astroglide Premium X
- Wet Platinum
- Comfort Personal Lubricant - Silicone
- BabeLube Silicone

Silicone-based - not safe for condoms, no glycerin or parabens

- Pjur Analyse Me - Silicone Glide & a**l Glide

Hope that helps a little. ^_^  

Nikolita
Captain

Dr Dimari

Familiar Flatterer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 pm
Hi...

I think the main issue is the way you're cleaning it. It just needs to be soaked in good ol' fashioned warm water with a little mild fragrance free soap in it. Using hydrogen peroxide, alcohol antibacterial wash or oil based soaps will actually change the pH on the surface of the cup and can allow for thrush to grow there. Thrush/yeast grows when the bacteria in the v****a are destroyed and leave a good space for it to grow. If you are having problems with it, one thing you could do before inserting the cup is lightly coat the outside with some anti-thrush cream. Below is the website for how to clean.

http://www.divacup.com/en/home/faqs/

As for moisturising, just use a nice water-based lubricant that isn't to thick or sticky ... just a nice plain jane one as mentioned above by Nikolita.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 pm
I thought that I'd be notifications if this thread got any most posts so sorry I didn't check earlier! crying

I have the diva wash that you can buy to help clean the cup so I'll just give it a good rubdown with the soap then make sure to get all the soap off! n_n

Coconut oil is AMAZING; the boyfriend and I love the smell, and it's SUPER wet. o_o
It's solid in the jar so you can scoop some out and just stick it up there. XD But it's also good to throw into a squeeze bottle and put into a microwave for a few second to melt it so you can use it in the middle of the act. n_n
I recommend it 100%! doesn't burn, doesn't dry out for a long time, it's an oil but it feels more like silky smooth water than oil, smells great, and doesn't make me feel like I'm putting gross things in my v****a!
The only downside is that it's not compatible with condoms, but that's alright since we don't use them.

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

stargirl88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 pm
You could also try plain yogurt, it helps fight yeast infections and may help lubricate. I'm pretty sure it can help by eating it as well. I hope this helps  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 pm
The only thing with plain yogurt is that it would always have to be in the house! XD

I take acidophilus nearly every day (I butcher that word every time I spell it though!) gives you the same junk yogurt does, but without eating yogurt.. a pill in the morning and one at night.. yay happy v****a.. or at least a somewhat happy v****a has certainly made it a lot less cranky than it was before! n_n

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm
Don't use yogurt as a lubricant. sweatdrop It's fine to eat, but not to go inserting into vaginas.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:43 pm
I thought that plain was fine for helping yeast infections, but it has to be plain, no sugar added at all.. no fruit.. just plain!
I don't know about using it as a lubricant though, just because if it were to get onto the bed it would have to get washed right away. D: At least with regular lube and coconut oil it doesn't need to be washed out asap.

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

Alarmingly Charming

Questionable Noob

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:43 pm
I've actually read that dipping a tampon into plain yogurt with active culture and inserting it real quick in and out of your v****a once is alright, but no flavored yogurt or other additives. My midwife even suggested for the last yeast infection I had. Of course, eating it works too but it has to have live, active cultures for both instances.

As a lubricant however...I don't think that's a good idea. Coconut oil is a great lube, just like you said. Its plant based, but still can't be used with condoms.

As for the yeast infections, have you talk to a gyne about it? Are you drying well after showering and what not? Extra moisture during a period, right before and right after can stay behind and help bacteria grow.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm
When I went for my last pap I asked about them but they didn't notice anything unusual down there.. so yeah. x_x

I'm going to ask again during my next pap which is on the 3rd because it's getting really annoying.
Although if I totally skip out of tampons/pad/pantyliners after using the cup.. I don't get them.
Use the cup for the heavy days then cotton panties changed every couple hours for the light days I'm FINE. o_o
Going to invest in some cloth pads and hope that they will be gone for good!

Still going to ask about it though since maybe a different doctor will have some different insight.

And yeah, I'm doing pretty much everything right in the vaginal care area! XD
I just don't get it! crying

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 pm
Intoxikace
I thought that plain was fine for helping yeast infections, but it has to be plain, no sugar added at all.. no fruit.. just plain!
I don't know about using it as a lubricant though, just because if it were to get onto the bed it would have to get washed right away. D: At least with regular lube and coconut oil it doesn't need to be washed out asap.

I've never heard of physically inserting yogurt into a v****a to be used as a lubricant (or even to help yeast infections). Then again that's just me, maybe I've been out of the loop or something. I know to eat yogurt to help get rid of a yeast infection is fine, and usually works.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm
I've never hear of using it as a lubricant, but I've heard of inserting it many times for helping out with yeast infections. =]
You have to make sure it's PLAIN though or else you'll just make it a hell of a lot worse. D:

I've never used it internally though, just because it seemed messy.. but whenever I have a yeast infection I be sure to have some yogurt in the house! n_n

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 pm
Yup, vaginally inserting plain yogurt is often recommended for yeast infections. My mother's doctor recommended it to her once. It's cheap, easy to get, and not embarrassing to buy! Here's an article about the details: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1002.html

I've also heard of yogurt being used as a vaginal lubricant. I've never tried it myself as it seems messier than other options and therefore not really worth it for me. But it might be worth it for women who are prone to yeast infections!  
Fertility and Gynecology Subforum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff