Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
House GOP to women: Your rape wasn't rapey enough!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:49 pm
Corrupt Politics blog
Rape is only really rape if it involves force. So says the new House Republican majority as it now moves to change abortion law.

For years, federal laws restricting the use of government funds to pay for abortions have included exemptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest. (Another exemption covers pregnancies that could endanger the life of the woman.) But the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” a bill with 173 mostly Republican co-sponsors that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has dubbed a top priority in the new Congress, contains a provision that would rewrite the rules to limit drastically the definition of rape and incest in these cases.

Read the whole thing.

gonk

Really, I'm done refraining from calling anti-abortion people woman haters.

EDIT:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/01/republican-plan-redefine-rape-abortion
Is the original source. I don't know why that blog didn't cite a source. sad  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:55 pm
The bill sounds terrible and very anti woman. It sounds like they don't want women to have an abortion regardless of what happens to them. And it sounds like the woman in question wouldn't be able to use her private insurance to pay for it either. How the heck would she be able to afford the procedure that would help her out. I wish that republicans and others who don't care for woman would leave our reproductive rights alone. This bill sounds ridiculous and dumb. Next thing you know they are going to try and make a bill that will say that a woman who has bad health wont be able to get an abortion with her private insurance if she has a bad heart or any other bad health problems as well. I really hope this doesn't pass so we can still have the choice we need accessible. Thank you for posting this in the guild so that the member's of the guild can become aware of what the republicans & anti women are trying to do.  

moonlight_peach12

Romantic Nerd

15,325 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Magical Girl 50

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am
moonlight_peach12
It sounds like they don't want women to have an abortion regardless of what happens to them.

Bingo.

I'm gonna make a thread about this in ED, too. I haven't seen anybody talk about it outside of a few reproductive rights blogs.

EDIT:
The thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/extended-discussion/new-abortion-bill-redefines-rape/t.69243615/  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:25 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
moonlight_peach12
It sounds like they don't want women to have an abortion regardless of what happens to them.

Bingo.

I'm gonna make a thread about this in ED, too. I haven't seen anybody talk about it outside of a few reproductive rights blogs.

EDIT:
The thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/extended-discussion/new-abortion-bill-redefines-rape/t.69243615/
Thank you for posting the link to your thread I will be sure to visit it. I also want to say that I enjoy your threads that you make in the guild because they are very informative and intellectual.  

moonlight_peach12

Romantic Nerd

15,325 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Magical Girl 50

[Gash-jackel]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm
First time coming on Gaia in years, came in on a whim.

Decide "hey may as well check the old guilds"

Find this.

Laughed.

Everything went better than expected.
Also, glad I'm not American.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:22 am
The Daily Show did a very good piece on this with Kirsten Schaal just the other day.  

ZimGangster

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items