Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Fertility and Gynecology Subforum
Never been . . .

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:23 pm
I'm 16 and I think I should start seeing a gyno. But there are a few problems. First of all, my mom doesn't think I need it, since she never went to one until she was 18. I don't want her getting all suspicious. I mean, I'm going mainly for general "down there" health, but also because I want to be ready in case me and my boyfriend start having sex. I want to be sure I'm "clear." Then again, if I'm sexually active and my gyno finds something, would my parents find out? Also, I've had oral sex without a condom - stupid, I know, but I thought my boyfriend hadn't had it before, turned out he had gotten a BJ before from another girl, and I don't know how many guys she had done that to before. I haven't seen any signs of STDs on him or me, should I still tell my doctor? If I did, would my parents find out?

Don't worry, I'm gonna get some flavored condoms next time I'm at CVS without my 'rents. What I did was dumb, and I'm not gonna do it again.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:39 pm
I think it's great that you are getting so prepaired before hand. Why don't you call the doctor's office and ask them about what your right's are and making an appoitment. You could always take the bus or find some other way to get there. Laws differ as to whether the doctor is allowed to divulge info at a certain age so I would ask the staff or your doctor about that so you can be sure what's going on.  

Chalda

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:48 pm
Chalda
I think it's great that you are getting so prepaired before hand. Why don't you call the doctor's office and ask them about what your right's are and making an appoitment. You could always take the bus or find some other way to get there. Laws differ as to whether the doctor is allowed to divulge info at a certain age so I would ask the staff or your doctor about that so you can be sure what's going on.

First of all, I live in the suburbs. There really isn't a lot of public transportation. However, I should be getting my license soon. I'm gonna try to finish my driving hours in March.

Then there's the question of payment. I don't have a job. How much does this usually cost? I have health insurance, but if I use that, wouldn't the appointment show up on the bill?

I think it's best if I just try to convince my mom to let me get an appointment, then she can take me and she'll be able to pay for it (my parents cover all my necesary expenses).

Oh, and I know it's illegal in my state for doctors to tell a girl's parents she's using birth control unless she gives her consent. I think the same deal applies to gynocologists in my state, too.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:28 pm
If you can manage to go see a doctor, or a clinic, ask if you can get tested for STD's. Then you'd be able to find out whether or not you picked up anything from the unprotected b*****b.

As for when to get a physical and such, the rule of thumb is usually 18, or whenever you become sexually active. So if you're having oral sex, it's really your call. If you're planning to go on birth control, almost all doctors will require you to undergo a physical, breast exam (etc) before getting the prescription, so you might want to book the appointment anyways.

If you can't afford it, maybe you shouldn't be sexually active until you can get the money to pay for doctor's appointments and birth control. Or, tell your mom and ask her to book you an appointment.

I first went on birth control when I was 17. I went on the Pill. In Canada, doctor's visits and such are covered by our national healthcare plan, so that was free. I could've had my birth control covered by my parents, but I didn't want them to find out I was sexually active, so each month it cost me $24 of my own money to pay for my birth control. It sucked, but it was necessary for me.

In the end, I think it's best if you tell your mom and come clean. She might be worried about you being sexually active, but deep down she'll probably be glad you told her, and happy that you're being responsible about protecting yourself.  

Nikolita
Captain

Chalda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:49 pm
Sorry but because I live in Canada I simply don't know the answers to some of your questions. But it does seem like convincing your mom would be the best way to go for you. I hope it all works out well. Good luck.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:53 am
I'm 16 as well, and actually nervous to see a gyno for the first time. My mom said it's nothing to it, and I can wait until I'm 18 if I'd like. But that doesn't mean I'm not nervous about what they do. Anyways to help from being nervous when I finally go for the first time?  

Dukesgirl2006

Elven_hime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:13 am
Supposedly girls are supposed to start seeing gynecologists when they start getting their period.

I was waaay too uncomfortable with people touching or seeing my body AT ALL that way at that age, but that is what's....reccommended.....

Then after that it is HEAVILY reccommended that a woman gets a yearly pap smear done after the first time she's had sex.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:59 pm
Dukesgirl2006
I'm 16 as well, and actually nervous to see a gyno for the first time. My mom said it's nothing to it, and I can wait until I'm 18 if I'd like. But that doesn't mean I'm not nervous about what they do. Anyways to help from being nervous when I finally go for the first time?

One word: Relax. 3nodding It'll hurt more if you're nervous and if you tense up.

Quote:
Supposedly girls are supposed to start seeing gynecologists when they start getting their period.

I believe that's false. Not only have I never heard it from any doctor or gyno, but it makes no sense for children to go to the gyno if they get their period at an early age, like 12 or 13. I got mine at 11 - should I have had to go at that age? No.  

Nikolita
Captain

Fertility and Gynecology Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces