Submit

emptyandroid

Lonely Phantom

10,575 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 pm
Hi! I planning on going on a trip to Japan within the next 6 months or so, and I'm wondering what's good to see and do while I'm there.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm
It depends. How long will you be staying? What region do you plan on visiting? Are you going alone, or with others? Are you going through a program「as in, a host family program」, or are you going on your own? The most important question would be, What do you definetely want to accomplish during your stay?

Warabe no akuma

emptyandroid

Lonely Phantom

10,575 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm
Warabe no akuma
It depends. How long will you be staying? What region do you plan on visiting? Are you going alone, or with others? Are you going through a program「as in, a host family program」, or are you going on your own? The most important question would be, What do you definetely want to accomplish during your stay?

I'm staying a maximum of about two weeks there and I dont plan on any region in particular but I'm probably staying on the main island (Honshou). I'm going with my parents, and I don't really plan to accomplish anything, just see Japan.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 am
Konan_Angel_Of_The_Rain
I'm staying a maximum of about two weeks there and I dont plan on any region in particular but I'm probably staying on the main island (Honshou). I'm going with my parents, and I don't really plan to accomplish anything, just see Japan.

Two weeks? It's a shame that you won't be there for longer.
Well, if you're going to Honshou, my first thought would be, "Go see Mount Fuji!", but Honshou is great for shopping also. Also, it depends on what regions of Honshu you'll be in, because each have different prefectures.

Warabe no akuma

0-Azula-0

Benevolent Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 pm
Oh my goodness, you MUST go see the Geisha/Geiko and Maiko, or try to see them. Artists of the floating world, so beautiful.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm
If you have time, spend a night on/in Koya-san. Its a mountain top Buddhist monastery. It was fantastic. You can book a night overnight in a temple there and its also home to the largest (I think, don't quote me on this) /oldest Buddhist cemetary in Japan. It goes on forever. Absolutely magical.  

Kai Shi

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 pm
Warabe no akuma

I want to go to Japan in the future. After my major, and that I have enough money to go and enjoy it. I looked at those bus tours, and they don't seem like something I would enjoy. As an adult, are there ways to stay with a host family? The language issue scares me, so I'm trying to learn now so that when I'm able to go I can have a nice time. Would you happen to know other ways besides those tours, or even a website?

How long would you recommend staying in Japan? It takes a days to get there from CA right?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:50 pm
Catherine
Warabe no akuma

I want to go to Japan in the future. After my major, and that I have enough money to go and enjoy it. I looked at those bus tours, and they don't seem like something I would enjoy. As an adult, are there ways to stay with a host family? The language issue scares me, so I'm trying to learn now so that when I'm able to go I can have a nice time. Would you happen to know other ways besides those tours, or even a website?

How long would you recommend staying in Japan? It takes a days to get there from CA right?

A host-family program usually has something along with it, such as an educational program.
I know of a volunteer program where you go for about 6-8 weeks, you teach children how to speak English in that time. You can go as an adult, most of their volunteers are over 18. Knowing Japanese isn't a requirement, those knowing basic Japanese is helpful. You get days off, they provide the round-trip flight, a host family, and I believe they have a meal plan. You can find it here.
It takes.. probably 5 hours to get to Japan from CA, I would estimate. If you go to Japan by your own planning, not through a program, I suggest catching an early flight. There is about a 17 hour time difference between California and Japan, meaning you would be going into later into the day, if you catch an early flight. You will suffer jet-lag after the flight back, be aware of that.

Warabe no akuma

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:41 pm
Warabe no akuma
Catherine
Warabe no akuma

A host-family program usually has something along with it, such as an educational program.
I know of a volunteer program where you go for about 6-8 weeks, you teach children how to speak English in that time. You can go as an adult, most of their volunteers are over 18. Knowing Japanese isn't a requirement, those knowing basic Japanese is helpful. You get days off, they provide the round-trip flight, a host family, and I believe they have a meal plan. You can find it here.
It takes.. probably 5 hours to get to Japan from CA, I would estimate. If you go to Japan by your own planning, not through a program, I suggest catching an early flight. There is about a 17 hour time difference between California and Japan, meaning you would be going into later into the day, if you catch an early flight. You will suffer jet-lag after the flight back, be aware of that.

Thanks, I looked at the site, and the only thing I can see that would be an issue is that they're looking for people who want to be teachers. Who are wanting an internship. I'm not looking at a teaching major, I'm working on getting my RN license. Otherwise, I think it sounds great, I would love to be able to go and teach English to Japanese students. Imagine what you would learn yourself just from helping them. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 pm
Catherine
Warabe no akuma
Catherine
Warabe no akuma

Thanks, I looked at the site, and the only thing I can see that would be an issue is that they're looking for people who want to be teachers. Who are wanting an internship. I'm not looking at a teaching major, I'm working on getting my RN license. Otherwise, I think it sounds great, I would love to be able to go and teach English to Japanese students. Imagine what you would learn yourself just from helping them. biggrin

Ah, no. You're mistaken, that's a different program. Guy Healy runs several programs, that's just one designed to help those that major in teaching. The one I refer to is the USA Summer Camp. This is the one I had been talking about. They've yet to completely update the camp information, because the Teach Japan program is their top priority at the moment, but, if anything, they have a facebook page if you want more information about them. Them having a facebook is good as well, because you can find those who have already done the volunteer program. Ignore the random spam on their facebook.

Warabe no akuma

Rocking Reaper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:50 pm
Looks like all of the programs are aimed at americans though which is a bit of a shame.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 pm

First thing you should do is get a Japan Rail Pass. If you're going to travel around the main island, transportation can get really expensive (booo JR!). I would recommend looking at Japan Guide and maybe Wiki Travel?

If your parents are staying and you're not uncomfortable with undressing in front of others and being naked in front of others, I would definitely recommend an onsen (hot springs) or a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn). Also like someone said, try staying in a Buddhist temple, it's a great experience.

Don't be afraid to try new foods too, specialties differ from region to region (ie. Nagoya - unagi, Kyoto - green tea and kaiseki (course) cooking).

>> My experience: living here (:

lennersmii
Crew

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:18 am
Warabe no akuma
Catherine
Warabe no akuma
Catherine
Warabe no akuma

Ah, no. You're mistaken, that's a different program. Guy Healy runs several programs, that's just one designed to help those that major in teaching. The one I refer to is the USA Summer Camp. This is the one I had been talking about. They've yet to completely update the camp information, because the Teach Japan program is their top priority at the moment, but, if anything, they have a facebook page if you want more information about them. Them having a facebook is good as well, because you can find those who have already done the volunteer program. Ignore the random spam on their facebook.

Well, Thanks Again!! I like the part where it says you don't need to know how to speak Japanese. Not that it wouldn't be a good idea to learn, but the campers are there to learn how to speak English and it does make sense that talking in Japanese wouldn't help. Well sadly I wouldn't be able to do this for two years with school, and medical issues, but that gives me time to learn something so that when the time comes I can look into it more. Thanks a lot, I'm for sure going to hang on to the link and look at it in the future. biggrin <3  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 am
lennersmii

First thing you should do is get a Japan Rail Pass. If you're going to travel around the main island, transportation can get really expensive (booo JR!). I would recommend looking at Japan Guide and maybe Wiki Travel?

If your parents are staying and you're not uncomfortable with undressing in front of others and being naked in front of others, I would definitely recommend an onsen (hot springs) or a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn). Also like someone said, try staying in a Buddhist temple, it's a great experience.

Don't be afraid to try new foods too, specialties differ from region to region (ie. Nagoya - unagi, Kyoto - green tea and kaiseki (course) cooking).

Ha ha... afraid of being naked, That wont be a problem. (Nothing dirty in that comment.) That sounds like something I would love to experience. I know this is such a tourist thing, but I want to try on a kimono.

Can you rent bikes? Or could you see a lot on foot in the smaller cities? I'm sure the pass is a good idea.

Bit off topic, How does it work with doctors and the pharmacy? Like if you take special drugs.(Not illegal, and not that new MJ crap, I'm talking drugs that are designed to reduce your immune system) (I would take enough with back ups) but in case of an emergency.  

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

lennersmii
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:40 am
Catherine
lennersmii

Ha ha... afraid of being naked, That wont be a problem. (Nothing dirty in that comment.) That sounds like something I would love to experience. I know this is such a tourist thing, but I want to try on a kimono.

Can you rent bikes? Or could you see a lot on foot in the smaller cities? I'm sure the pass is a good idea.

Bit off topic, How does it work with doctors and the pharmacy? Like if you take special drugs.(Not illegal, and not that new MJ crap, I'm talking drugs that are designed to reduce your immune system) (I would take enough with back ups) but in case of an emergency.

Yepp I would definitely recommend the kimono experience in Kyoto (<33) (: There are tons of shops (I could recommend one, if you'd like) that speak a tiny bit of English and charge affordable prices for the day (:

In smaller cities (not recommended for Osaka/Tokyo/Nagoya), you could probably get around on a bicycle but I wouldn't recommend foot because you really don't want to exhuast yourself walking around all day. A lot of cities usually have their own special subway systems, and you could get day passes to make it affordable to travel around (JR usually doesn't provide subway systems, thus the JR pass is really only good in Tokyo and for the shinkansen around the country).

As for medicine, I would recommend bringing your own (with a special doctor's note and translated into Japanese if possible because drugs are HIGHLY illegal in Japan) only because very few pharmacies (if any) will have English speaking staff and may hesitate to help a foreigner not covered by the national health insurance system in Japan. If you do need special drugs and an emergency hits, be sure to carry a wallet card or something that can help hospitals identify your problem?

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games