Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something Magical

Back to Guilds

This is a place where pagans, witches, and others who wish to know can come to learn from each other, and grow! 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Magic, Witchcraft, New Generation 

Reply *~General Discussion and Debate~*
Dunning-Kruger effect

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rmcdra
Crew

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 pm
Something interesting I found this week.
wiki
Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

It should be noted that competence doesn't mean intelligence.

I bring this up because well it's something we all fall into, at least here in the US. Recognizing that we all have this natural bias is especially useful for research and self-development.

This effect is evident in many non-debate issues like "Wicca" and "Creationism" which often rely on appeal to emotions since they lack to competence to understand the depth of the subjects they are debating. It's also noticeable in the American Idol auditions. Why do you think these people go on to make fools of themselves during the auditions? Well it's because they don't know how badly they lack skill.

The 4th stage is kinda sad. If an incompetent person can be adequately trained, then can they accurately assess their incompetence. Some people don't ever get to this fourth step. They are self-declared experts and thus don't seek training. (I've been studying Paganism for 20 years, you can't tell me Silver Ravenwolf is an awful source. You can't tell me that Buckland is wrong in his history.) Misinformation spreads because incompetent people won't acknowledge their own incompetence, or in worst cases, intentionally distort information to deflect away their incompetence.

Alright I don't know where I was going with this now to be honest. Now I'm just rambling. Hope you find this interesting too.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:59 pm
User Image

I suddenly want to make this a sticky. (But this forum's already so full of them.)
Great post, Robbie! biggrin This was both humbling and insightful.

Renkon Root
Crew

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

rmcdra
Crew

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 pm
You flatter me too much Ren. I have to thank my friend Sparky for pointing this out to me. It was one of the points he used in explaining why a particular issue in classic Gnosticism that's being debated online isn't being debated by scholars, and it's not because scholars are being "closed minded" as some would like to paint such individuals.  
*~General Discussion and Debate~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games