Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Discordian Society of Gaia

Back to Guilds

A guild for those In The Know and Of Much Ilk. 

Tags: Eris, Discordia, Fnord, Paganism, Humor 

Reply FNORD is neither F nor D
~> What the hell is Discordianism about, anyway? <~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mylian
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 am
So you've come here, wondering just what "Discordianism" is. Maybe you've read enough to know that it's a modern revival of the appreciation of Eris/Discordia, the ancient Graeco/Roman goddess of Chaos, Confusion, and Discord.

But if I know you, and I don't, you're probably still wondering what the hell that means in practical terms. What are the tenets of Discordianism, as a philosophy or a religion or a thrilling party game? Just what do these Discordian people believe, anyway?

It turns out that it's not quite so simple, because Discordians believe a whole hell of a lot of different things. And sometimes, they enjoy confusing the matter on purpose, just for fun. The Principia Discordia itself in some parts encourages Discordians NOT to believe the same things as other Discordians, and also to not believe what is written in the Principia.

So in this thread, we're going to try and narrow it down and find essential tenets that seem generally to be accepted by Discordians. Feel free to ask any question, no matter how inane, because the only way the teacher learns is by being asked new questions.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 am
* Think For Yourself, Schmuck  

Mylian
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100

Sano Parmandil

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:27 am
The only unifying thing that I've encountered after people read the PD is that it makes people think. Which is big enough for me, anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm
Now that you mention it, that right there is a biggie. As the mural in the stateroom in Hagbard Celine's golden submarine states, Think For Yourself, Schmuck. Great start. It's why the Principia is written from the ground up in such a way that no one Discordian can tell another Discordian how to be a Discordian.

One that struck me pretty hard I think was the page on Nonsense as Salvation. I think it is a Self-Evident Truth that the human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously.  

Mylian
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100

washu_2004

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:08 am
Discordianism is a cup of tea without the cup or the tea or the water within it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 pm
washu_2004
Discordianism is a cup of tea without the cup or the tea or the water within it.

Or a pizza with the works, hold everything.  

Mylian
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100
FNORD is neither F nor D

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers