Welcome to Gaia! ::

The NFL Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of the game. 

Tags: National Football League, Football, Pigskin, American, Sports 

Reply The NFL Guild
The Day After Yesterday! (Week 12 Thoughts)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 am
It's 4 days after Thanksgiving and I'm still stuffing myself with leftovers (Pun Intended) And with exception to Thanksgiving Dinner, a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Tangled break, it has been nothing but football.

1. Thanksgiving Games- The Patriots and the Lions, what a great game that was, well up to the last 20 minutes of the game it was really good and enjoyable to watch. The Lions did a great job keeping the Patriots in check, and it was a much closer game than the 45-24 score indicates, but there is a reason why New England is 9-2, and Detroit is 2-9, Brady and the Patriots had 4 touchdowns in the last 20 minutes of the game to come back from behind and win.
Saints and Cowboys, probably the best game of the day, beginning, middle and end this game was fun to watch. And even in a loss the Cowboys still played top notch football. Jason Garrett's biggest contribution since taking over, discipline. At one point this team was considered the worst in the NFL, now they are fighting back and earning some respect. The rest of their season really doesn't bode well for them, playoffs out of the question, but this team could lay the foundation down right now to establish a playoff caliber team for next season.
Bengals vs. Jets, at this point I only caught half the game, the other half I was in a turkey coma, but this game was the least entertaining for me, and it begs the question, is three games for Thanksgiving necessary? Thanksgiving is about family, a little football on the side is nice, but having the Cowboys and Lions play every year has become tradition, the third game really seems out of place. Maybe they just need to find a third team to host Thanksgiving every year like Dallas and Detroit to fit in better, but for the second year in a row the game seems quite unecessary. But This will set up a VERY big Monday night game next week, between the Jets and Patriots, which could determine who gets home field through the playoffs.

2. Colts season over?- After watching the Colts last night, I saw a team that was physically and mentally beat. Every team has their fair share of injuries, but they seem to be hitting the Colts harder than any other franchise. They cannot stop the run on defense, and can't run the ball on offense. The only reason why they are still in the playoff picture is because of Peyton Manning, despite his 7 INT in two weeks, some of which I put the blame on the offensive line or bad officiating by refs. But Manning is thee reason they still have a shot at the playoffs. And with the Jaguars loosing yesterday they remain within striking distance. But looking at the rest of their schedule, I would consider them lucky if they even finish 8-8. Off season priorities for the Colts, boost up their running game, and get more efficient run stopping defensive players. Cause with how competitive and tough the AFC is this year, the Colts really stand about as much of a chance repeating as AFC Champions as Los Angeles has in getting a new franchise anytime in the next 20 years.

3. BCS standings- I'm not much for college ball, but I do have to speak out against the BCS for a change. Being a west coast guy I love seeing Oregon reach #1, and our local team the Nevada Wolf Pack make it in the top 25. But there is just no love for the West coast, Oregon remains undefeated but drops to #2, UNR beats Boise and only moves up 2 spots. The ranking system in College is bogus. And like many others, I believe NCAA needs official playoffs to determine national champions, you can go undefeated throughout the year, and not break into the top 10 while teams with 1 or 2 losses will rank higher. Coaches are determined to run up the score on opponents to increase their chances of ranking higher, I can't stand it. Bottom line, the BCS needs an overhaul.

4. Gruden committed to MNF- Now that I have the BCS rant out of my system, for many weeks experts and fans have been anticipating John Gruden's potential return to coaching, whether if it's in the NFL or college. Many head coaches in the NFL are on the hot seat, and many will follow Wade Phillips and Brad Childress into coaching unemployment. Gruden's name has been tossed around as a potential candidate for several head coaching jobs that will most likely open up in the off season. Well Gruden got his chance to return to coaching yesterday after the Miami Hurricane offered him the head coaching job after firing their former head coach. Gruden responded that he was flattered with the offer, but is committed to his job as a commentator on Monday Night Football, and wants to stay there for now. Which raises the question, is Gruden done with coaching all together and want to remain a color commentator? Or is he just waiting for another offer from an NFL team he may be more interested in?

SHOUT OUT PLAYERS!
Jamaal Charles (RB Kansas City Chiefs)- I bad mouthed the Colts and their bad Run defense, but the Seahawks gave up 270 rushing yards yesterday, 173 of them came from Jamaal Charles on 22 carries, and a TD. Great play by the Chiefs offense all around, but Jamaal's work load yesterday impressed me the most among offensive players.

Bears Defense- Once again I'm awarding an entire unit in their overall play. For 5 starts Michael Vick was undefeated and many considered him "Unbeatable" The Bears defense layed down the blue print on how to contain Vick. True the Eagles still scored 26 points, but they forced many drives to end in field goals instead of touchdowns, Vicks first INT of the year, fumbles, sacks, and other mental mistakes for the Eagles offense which you normally won't see. This was a statement game for the Bears showing that they are a legit NFC threat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 am
Yay way to go Chuckie mrgreen  

KTS

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:22 pm
One final note which I forgot about when I made the initial post. the Johnson/Finnegan fight.

No doubt the Texans and Titans have a heated rivalry. The Titans were the former Houston franchise the Houston Oilers before moving to Tennessee and becoming the Titans. When Houston was rewarded with a new franchise they decided to go with a new identity and called themselves the Texans instead of picking up the old Oilers name.

This is a heated rivalry, and the players intensity whenever they play each other shows. Johnson for the Texans and Finnegan for the Titans were both ejected from the game after their fight, and fined $25,000 for the scuffle, but neither will be suspended by the league for this action.

On a weird side note, Andre Johnson despite this was awarded yesterdays game ball. Head Coach Kubiak stated that he felt Johnson's 9 reception for 56 yards and a TD was more than enough to be awarded the game ball, He also joked about the fight afterwards. Even owner Bob McNair wasn't upset by the fight, and joked afterwards "I awarded the fight to Johnson 'on points'." The teams official site even boasted about the fight.

I know this is a heated rivalry, but even though these teams hate each other, does this bring about a level of negative encouragement for fighting in the NFL? Andre Johnson did address the issue and apologised for his actions to the fans, the team, and the owner. But no matter how heated a rivalry is, is this considered appropriate behavior?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm
Locks and Bagels

I know this is a heated rivalry, but even though these teams hate each other, does this bring about a level of negative encouragement for fighting in the NFL? Andre Johnson did address the issue and apologised for his actions to the fans, the team, and the owner. But no matter how heated a rivalry is, is this considered appropriate behavior?
No and he should not be playing this week.  

KTS

The NFL Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff