Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
New Members' Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am here for...
languages
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
linguistics
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
both
77%
 77%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 70

Eretlen

Dangerous Sophomore

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm
Gaia Name:
Eretlen

Kensie (really a nickname)

15 years. (Born 1997) / 15 ans. (Née 1997)

Languages Spoken:
Amerrrrican English / L'anglais américain

Languages Learning:
* French / Le français, for 14 months / pendant 14 mois whee
* Russian / Le russe (I don't know the Russian language but I am learning to read it)

Languages I'd Like To Learn:
* Arabic - It's a cool language and there are Francophone Arabic countries.
* Japanese - I used to be able to read kana when I was 12-13 years old, but then I stopped studying D: Also, it's super easy to pronounce, generally.
* Farsi (Persian) - Language of my family's religion (although I'm not part of it sweatdrop ), although the writing system looks daunting! (I haven't studied it at all)
* Mandarin Chinese - All that global market talk and I'd like to see the language as more than random tones. Also, I'd like to understand the writing system more than just "pictures." (I know that it's more than just pictures, but still.)
* American Sign Language - I like the idea of not having to talk xD, also, non-verbal communication seems much better for when there's a need for silence. And I want to be able to communicate with the deaf, in whichever profession I choose (interpreting or not).
* Any other language I decide seems fun or helpful or interesting.

I am also interested in linguistics. I'm just too lazy to study them, I guess :-/  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 am
Gaia Name:
hikaridranz

Languages Spoken:
English
Chinese (Mandarin)
Indonesian - and thus a little bit of Malay too since they're close

Languages Learning:
Japanese - currently enough to be able to generally understand T&Cs, play otome games & shop online, but not confident enough to speak or anything else emotion_yatta

Languages I Wanna Learn:
I want to learn as many as I can, but I procrastinate. sweatdrop
At the top of my want-to-learn list are

American Sign language
Spanish
Chinese (Teochew and Hokkien. Maybe Cantonese too.) - I feel bad for not speaking the first two dialects
Korean - so many korean products imported these days, I wanna be able to at least read names and labels :I

I took English Language & Linguistics for my As but kinda flunked it since I suck at essays or even remembering examples and arguments when I need them at all but I really, really enjoyed it. Even if I'm not studying it any more I'm gonna continue reading on it.

I also took basic conversational Tamil years ago in school but completely forgot it. /feelsoguilty  

Hikaridranz

Lily-livered Hoarder

Eretlen

Dangerous Sophomore

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm
Hikaridranz
Gaia Name:
hikaridranz

Languages Spoken:
English
Chinese (Mandarin)
Indonesian - and thus a little bit of Malay too since they're close

Languages Learning:
Japanese - currently enough to be able to generally understand T&Cs, play otome games & shop online, but not confident enough to speak or anything else emotion_yatta

Languages I Wanna Learn:
I want to learn as many as I can, but I procrastinate. sweatdrop
At the top of my want-to-learn list are

American Sign language
Spanish
Chinese (Teochew and Hokkien. Maybe Cantonese too.) - I feel bad for not speaking the first two dialects
Korean - so many korean products imported these days, I wanna be able to at least read names and labels :I

I took English Language & Linguistics for my As but kinda flunked it since I suck at essays or even remembering examples and arguments when I need them at all but I really, really enjoyed it. Even if I'm not studying it any more I'm gonna continue reading on it.

I also took basic conversational Tamil years ago in school but completely forgot it. /feelsoguilty

It's sweet that you already know 3 languages. I was going to take Mandarin Chinese next year but I'm switching to a school that doesn't teach it! But I'm pretty sure my new school teaches American Sign Language, so it's a decent trade.
Welcome to the guild.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:08 am
Eretlen

It's sweet that you already know 3 languages. I was going to take Mandarin Chinese next year but I'm switching to a school that doesn't teach it! But I'm pretty sure my new school teaches American Sign Language, so it's a decent trade.
Welcome to the guild.

thanks :'D those 3 languages are what I commonly use so it's not surprising. Ironically, my native language is the worst one I speak out of those three since I stopped learning it when I was 8 (and I often continue using child-talk XD)

Self-study mandarin then? If you've got any questions feel free to ask me 3nodding  

Hikaridranz

Lily-livered Hoarder

Eretlen

Dangerous Sophomore

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:37 pm
Hikaridranz
Eretlen

Welcome to the guild.

thanks :'D those 3 languages are what I commonly use so it's not surprising. Ironically, my native language is the worst one I speak out of those three since I stopped learning it when I was 8 (and I often continue using child-talk XD)

Self-study mandarin then? If you've got any questions feel free to ask me 3nodding

I could self-study, but then I would have no confirmation of whether my tones were right or not. Although I could get a teacher once I needed one online.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 pm
Gaia Name:
Sarah582
I'd rather not say at the moment, but I might disclose it in the future ^^
Languages spoken:
I only speak English fluently at the moment, unfortunately...
Languages Learning:
Right now I'm actively learning French, not as actively learning Japanese, and I have a whole list of other languages I want to learn~  

Sarah582

Blade Lorenz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 pm
Greetings

*Gaia Name: Blade Lorenz (just wanted 'Blade', but that was taken.)
*Languages spoken: English (native), German (2nd language, with C-something fluency)
*Languages Learning: Dutch (I am probably around medium in passive fluency - can read it *very* well, and understand spoken Dutch okay - but my active fluency, such as speaking or writing, is beginners).

More about me:
I'm actually American who moved to Germany almost 7 years ago now.
My desire to learn Dutch is merely... well, I find the language fascinating, and I enjoyed the country when I spent a summer there 9 and a half years ago.

That aside, I am utterly fascinated with languages and linguistics in general - my fave subject.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 pm
Sarah582
Gaia Name:
Sarah582
Languages spoken:
Languages Learning:
Right now I'm actively learning French, not as actively learning Japanese, and I have a whole list of other languages I want to learn~

Does your real name happen to be ninja ... Sarah?
Are you learning Québécois French? I'd assume so since you live in Canada, but just wondering. Québécois French is really interesting, I recently learned that a lot of the curse words are related to churches because of the Catholic oppression until La Revolution Tranquille... and that's about as much I remember and guessed.
I have a whole list of languages I want to learn as well, but I'm trying to focus on French until I get a greater understanding about language learning and such.
Anyway, welcome to the guild xD  

Eretlen

Dangerous Sophomore

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200

Sarah582

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm
Eretlen
Sarah582
Gaia Name:
Sarah582
Languages spoken:
Languages Learning:

Does your real name happen to be ninja ... Sarah?
Are you learning Québécois French? I'd assume so since you live in Canada, but just wondering. Québécois French is really interesting, I recently learned that a lot of the curse words are related to churches because of the Catholic oppression until La Revolution Tranquille... and that's about as much I remember and guessed.
I have a whole list of languages I want to learn as well, but I'm trying to focus on French until I get a greater understanding about language learning and such.
Anyway, welcome to the guild xD

Haha, thanks for the welcome ^^
Actually, my name is not Sarah. When I was younger I thought it was the best name ever, so this username just kind of stuck.
I'm actually not sure what kind of French I'm learning. I'm pretty sure for a year or so I was learning Québécois, but then I got a new teacher, and I think she teaches Parisian, and this year I have another new teacher, and I'm not really sure what she teaches.
I'm focusing on French as well, since I want to gain at least partial fluency in the language before I really delve into something else. I can't help but pick up little phrases and words of other languages I come across, though sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Hi there! Maybe it's time to wake up this forum? It would be really nice to have a place where people understand me when I talk about generative grammar... and not just my programming brother!

Gaia Name: CyberRobinHood
Languages spoken: English and French
Languages Learning: Romanian (Introduction finished), Catalan(finished level 1), Spanish(finished elementary/level 1), Old English(finished translation course), and Icelandic(currently self-teaching)
Languages I hope to learn in the near future: Mandarin, Old Norse, Cantonese, Italian (I can read most of it oddly anyways, enough), Tagalog and Swahili

BUT OBVIOUSLY I WANT TO LEARN THEM ALL mrgreen

Also, I'm just finishing my first year of a BA in Linguistics and Language Studies. I go to Glendon College (the bilingual campus) of York University, so it is a requirement to take French courses and courses in French to graduate.

I hope I can help revive this forum; it seems like such a fantastic idea!  

CyberRobinHood

Explorer

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 am
CyberRobinHood
Hi there! Maybe it's time to wake up this forum? It would be really nice to have a place where people understand me when I talk about generative grammar... and not just my programming brother!

Gaia Name: CyberRobinHood
Languages spoken: English and French
Languages Learning: Romanian (Introduction finished), Catalan(finished level 1), Spanish(finished elementary/level 1), Old English(finished translation course), and Icelandic(currently self-teaching)
Languages I hope to learn in the near future: Mandarin, Old Norse, Cantonese, Italian (I can read most of it oddly anyways, enough), Tagalog and Swahili

BUT OBVIOUSLY I WANT TO LEARN THEM ALL mrgreen

Also, I'm just finishing my first year of a BA in Linguistics and Language Studies. I go to Glendon College (the bilingual campus) of York University, so it is a requirement to take French courses and courses in French to graduate.

I hope I can help revive this forum; it seems like such a fantastic idea!

Welcome aboard! It does seem like a fantastic idea, doesn't it? Reviving this guild. The problem is I'm lazy. :p Slap me out of it!
Anyway, do talk to me about generative grammar. I'm not much of a linguist (more of an interpreter/translator), but interested to learn about it anyway. surprised

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 am
Gaia Name: Krotius

Languages Spoken: English as a native, Spanish, Yoruba, French (self-taught), Czech, Russian, Arabic

Languages Learning: besides all listed above, Classical Latin, Swahili, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian, Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Irish

Languages I'd Like To Learn: Hindi, Igbo, Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, Nahuatl, Ojibwe, Old Irish, Old English, Old French, Old Spanish, Turkish, Dutch, Luwian, Sumerian

I study broad linguistics with emphases in phonology and morphology; I enjoy learning other languages' IPA sets and love translating. I can write in Roman, Greek, and Russian alphabets, as well as in the Standard Arabic abjad and Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, as well as a few basic Chinese characters and partially Japanese hiragana. I am a strong proponent of descriptive grammatical theory and agree with Diachronistic Linguistic theory, if anyone's into that. I work as a political organizer and public policymaker/analyzer, and I do not tolerate the exotification or condemnation of languages... though I do harbor more than a quiet loathing for French and francophiles. I love sharing conversations with others and learning how we all communicate, and I hope that we'll all be friends!  

krotius

RobotQT1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 pm
*Gaia Name: RobotQT1
*Languages spoken: English (1st language), some French
*Languages Learning: Spanish

Languages I'd Like to Learn: Russian, French (more like, re-learn it), Mandarin

I'm currently in college finishing up my Associates in General Studies (still figuring out what I want to do, but I'm leaning toward Forensic Anthropology). I took French in high school. When I started working for Jack in the Box, I decided to learn Spanish so I wouldn't need a coworker to translate for me if a customer came in who didn't speak English. I no longer work there (9 months was more than I could handle). I love learning languages and since Spanish is a useful language, I decided to take it when I went back to college. I'm currently in Spanish 102. My dad is mostly fluent, so I practice with him when I'm not in class, and I've practiced it at work a little bit with customers.

I loved French, and while I've found it to be a bit more challenging than Spanish (looking back on my high school years, when I took it), I would like to re-learn French eventually.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:34 am
krotius
Gaia Name: Krotius

Languages Spoken: English as a native, Spanish, Yoruba, French (self-taught), Czech, Russian, Arabic

Languages Learning: besides all listed above, Classical Latin, Swahili, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian, Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Irish

Languages I'd Like To Learn: Hindi, Igbo, Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, Nahuatl, Ojibwe, Old Irish, Old English, Old French, Old Spanish, Turkish, Dutch, Luwian, Sumerian

I study broad linguistics with emphases in phonology and morphology; I enjoy learning other languages' IPA sets and love translating. I can write in Roman, Greek, and Russian alphabets, as well as in the Standard Arabic abjad and Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, as well as a few basic Chinese characters and partially Japanese hiragana. I am a strong proponent of descriptive grammatical theory and agree with Diachronistic Linguistic theory, if anyone's into that. I work as a political organizer and public policymaker/analyzer, and I do not tolerate the exotification or condemnation of languages... though I do harbor more than a quiet loathing for French and francophiles. I love sharing conversations with others and learning how we all communicate, and I hope that we'll all be friends!

Ooh, someone who wants to learn Latin and Greek. Surprise.
If it wasn't already obvious, I'm not really a linguistics major; I simply study languages. I have only a basic understanding of linguistics and have had no formal training.
Anyway, welcome aboard!

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 am
RobotQT1
*Gaia Name: RobotQT1
*Languages spoken: English (1st language), some French
*Languages Learning: Spanish

Languages I'd Like to Learn: Russian, French (more like, re-learn it), Mandarin

I'm currently in college finishing up my Associates in General Studies (still figuring out what I want to do, but I'm leaning toward Forensic Anthropology). I took French in high school. When I started working for Jack in the Box, I decided to learn Spanish so I wouldn't need a coworker to translate for me if a customer came in who didn't speak English. I no longer work there (9 months was more than I could handle). I love learning languages and since Spanish is a useful language, I decided to take it when I went back to college. I'm currently in Spanish 102. My dad is mostly fluent, so I practice with him when I'm not in class, and I've practiced it at work a little bit with customers.

I loved French, and while I've found it to be a bit more challenging than Spanish (looking back on my high school years, when I took it), I would like to re-learn French eventually.

Welcome!
Hopefully sometime soon we will acquire a French teacher. Right now we have several threads that are in French, but not a lot in the way of teaching it.

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff