Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
New Members' Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am here for...
languages
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
linguistics
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
both
77%
 77%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 70

Impious Ashes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:35 pm
Well.... hi =3

I am The Son of Wolves. My real name is Steven, but that's boring.

I'm an American fresh into his adulthood, having just turned 18 in february.

I'm not really much of a language enthusiast, but I am taken by world history and for some odd reason everytime I delve into a particular nation's/region's history I want to learn those languages. Currently, I'm learning Italian because I love the Renaissance. In the future, I may learn a couple more. French perhaps because I've recently found myself taken by the French Revolution, and possibly Latin just because. Even Icelandic or Old Norse if I ever feel bold enough, but for now I'm just gonna stick with Italian.

Until I get that though, I just speak borin' ole English.

Well, anyway, that's my bit for this thread. Later!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 pm
Gaia Name: Mercedesalh
Languages spoken: English (L1); Spanish (L2)
Languages Learning: Welsh and German I tried my hand at Danish and Tigrinya. Both are VERY difficult. Tigrinya I just never practiced much. Danish is just difficult for no good reason.

I have a lot of love for languages and for linguistics. I'm hoping to one day get my Ph.D in Linguistics but who know if or when that will happen!

Glad to be here though!  

mercedesalh

Alfie Jordan is a weirdo

4,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:47 pm
*Gaia Name:Alfie Jordan is a weirdo
*Languages spoken: English
*Languages Learning: Russian, Japanese, German, Korean, maybe others.

right now im started on Russian and move on later to the others. German, Japanese and Russian are more for speaking and understanding purposes the others not really for speaking but just to know how to read and write it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:30 am
Well... Hello! biggrin
My name on Gaia is Pfefferkeks, and my real name is Tullia... Which I totally hate -.-" I'm 18 years old (23.12.1993) and I'm italian.. I live in Rome.
The languages I speak are... well, italian, obviously, english, german (my mother is German, so I can speak it almost perfectly) and french.
I'm trying to learn danish and swedish... man, aren't they difficult! ^^"
Ok so... nice to meet you! wink  

Pfefferkeks

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm
Hello forum,

I am Magitek, or Magi/ME if you want, and I have come for both language learning and sharing, as well as Linguistics. I am a nineteen year old author, game creator, artist, spriter and more and speak English and some Lakota.

I have, currently, lots of resources for Russian, some books for Japanese, Lakota dictionary with grammar and learning lessons within, and some Welsh resources, but not a lot.

I am willing to help anyone if they want to learn Lakota, -- a Native American language of the Sioux tribes who reside in North/South Dakota -- and would make a thread with all that I learn and answer all that is asked (and can be answered by my level of knowledge).

If you have any questions of me, feel free to ask them. smile

Magitek~  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 pm
Hello all!

I'm desy1156 here on Gaia, but my real name's Sheila. I am 21 years old, living on the East Coast, US. I'm currently majoring in forensic chemistry, but if I were still a freshman, I'd be having hell contemplating whether or not I should switch to linguistics. For now, I'm satisfied with dabbing into it.

At the moment, I am fluent in Bikol, Filipino/Tagalog, and English. I am learning Arabic and Spanish. I'd be happy to assist you if you're also interested in them.

I like to learn at least a language from ever [populated] continent so my list tends to get quite long. I'm usually attracted to languages with a different script [Thai, Hindi, and the like] and the rarer, the better.  

desy1156

Invisible Raider

4,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100

desy1156

Invisible Raider

4,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 pm
MagitekElite
Hello forum,

I am willing to help anyone if they want to learn Lakota, -- a Native American language of the Sioux tribes who reside in North/South Dakota -- and would make a thread with all that I learn and answer all that is asked (and can be answered by my level of knowledge).

No way! I've been wanting to learn some Native American language. I have a friend that's Inupiat, but she doesn't know the language anymore.

Please, do make that thread!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 pm
Oh, that is cool! I wasn't expecting to find anyone learning or wanting to learn NAIL here! Very awesome! heart

Alright, making the thread. smile

EDIT:

It is made. The learning thread is here, and the "providing your answers/etc etc" thread is right here.  

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 pm
Also...I would love to learn Arabic, so I would be very interested in learning it. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:36 am
Gaia Name: HoukouOokami
Languages spoken: English
Languages Learning:
zzzzHigh Fluency:Japanese
zzzzActively Working On: Latin, Modern Greek
zzzzOn Hold: Korean, Chinese, Dutch, French, Swedish, Hungarian, Russian
zzzzHoping to Learn: Everything!

It's been ages and ages since I got on Gaia, but Mizu mentioned this guild to me, so I decided to come back and join it. Nice to meet you all. :]

Houkou Ookami
Crew

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:50 pm
Ooh, welcome Ookami!

Nice list of languages there, especially Chinese and Russian. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:02 pm
Hey, I am Singing Selkie. I am from America and English is my first language.
I am taking Latin at a private school right now, so I'd like to get better at it.
Italian will be next once I'm confident with Latin. Thanks so much for this guild!  

SingingSelkie

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm
Welcome Singing Selkie! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 am
* Gaia name: Estorrah

* Languages known (in declining order of fluency):
English
Latin
Ancient Greek
German
Spanish (er, well, I took it in high school and passed the New York state regents exam, but I've forgotten a lot since I haven't used it much)
French
Italian
Modern Greek (I lived in Greece for four months a few years ago. I remember enough to order coffee and buy groceries. :/ )
Pennsylvania Dutch (Just a little bit picked up by osmosis; my father's family is from southern PA.)

* Languages I want to learn:
Sanskrit
Russian
Old English
Old Norse
Icelandic
Lakota
Seneca
Hebrew
Japanese
Gaelic
Old Persian
html, xml, c++

Greetings. It's wonderful to see so many people interested in language learning and linguistics. Obviously I've got a predilection for "dead" languages; I'm a Ph.D. student in Classics (hence the Latin and Ancient Greek).

I live in NYC during the school year, and, er, various places elsewhere during the summer. (I've been sort of nomadic since graduating high school.) I don't get online that much, because I don't have internet access at home (and really I ought to be writing papers and studying for qualifying exams anyway, blargh), but I look forward to seeing this guild grow.  

Estorrah

Profitable Prophet

6,150 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

CambriaCate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:19 pm
Hello! I'm joined this guild because I wanted a place where I could practice my German and connect with other language students. I'm twenty-one and live in Washington State.

I only speak English fluently, but I'm getting to be conversational in German. I've taken some linguistics in college and really enjoyed it, so I look forward to scrolling through some of the related threads! Mostly, though, I'm looking to practice writing and maybe learn some more colloquial vocabulary from native speakers. I'm looking forward to getting involved with this group and getting to know some new people!  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff