Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 pm
User Image

Today I heard on the news that the government is finally taking charge over this bullying issue.

It's about time they did something.
It's getting worse and worse every day.

Kids are being pushed to the point to commit suicide.
That is just wrong, I hear different stories almost every morning while watching the news about another kid being bullied and then they either attempt or go through with suicide.

It's sad.
;_;

I'm happy to see that people are starting to wake up about this issue.

From what the news said, if the teacher or any other part of any school faculty that does not handle any type of abuse properly that can loose their jobs and be charged.
Something like that, correct me if I'm wrong.

Your thoughts?

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:30 am
I hate bullying...
A bit off topic, but I watched a movie on Saturday called
"To Save A Life". I really do recommend it. It's quite an eye
opener. It also involves bullying to the point of suicide.

o0Roxy0o
Captain

Sweetheart

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:40 am
Until five years ago, I was about to be one of those cases.
Now I'm told I could sue the school for mental damages. I doubt I will, but it's good knowing that even five years later, I could go back and whoop their ends in a lawsuit.
I'm tempted.

What happened?
Only teacher who helped me got fired.
A teacher spread rumors that I was a lesbian(in a catholic school, when I was eleven).
The teachers did nothing for seven years while I was told to go die.
I was thrown into a brick wall after school, which the principal saw.

Now? I'm better, but it has been significantly difficult for me to go up to people, or say anything to someone in real life that I do not know. I cannot have someone touch my back or sides without panicking. I cannot use a backpack. It has to be a messenger bag.

And you know what makes me laugh? The main guy who dd all this, threw me, and started it?
He's a sociopath. He's in a 'correctional institute' with little to no chance of getting out.

TL;DR - I am extremely happy that people are more aware and that teachers are now being forced to do something.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:54 am

I haven't heard that yet. O:

You're right, it's sad that they're just now doing something, but it's great that they are.
Even though they can't go back and change what's happened, at least they're working to make it not happen as much or at all any more.

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 am
User Image

I was also bullied.

I was a bit heavier set than most kids.
And their was a group of boys, they were really into sports and they were really popular.
They made fun of me every day.
They would tell everyone that I was pregnant, gross, and they would also call me a freak.

One day they threw some candy at me on the bus and they made pig noises.
And one day I was at a friends house and I was riding a bike and they were throwing footballs at my head.

Bullying is wrong, I wonder why people feel the need to push others around.
It doesn't solve anything.
It makes things worse.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:32 pm
What if teachers don't see the bullying, you can't sue the school if teachers didn't see anything.

@ RosesFallingLikeRain: and to think hat teachers, "principles" in your case do have the power to stop bullying but the principle didn't do anything for you. That makes me angry XD...

But teachers aren't the only ones with the power to stop bullying, because "some" students in high school won't listen to a teacher. I think that the ones with the most power to stop bullying are the students, but then we are mostly afraid or excited to see a fight/bullying. sad which is very sad. But yeah I totally agree that if a teacher sees someone getting bullied they should rush in because it is not right to just ignore and think that everything will be okay, because it won't. In my school, you won't see a bully succeed at all, because once someone is being bullied, teachers rush in to stop the fight or the bullying, which is good.

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 pm
I remember when I was in middle school this two girls started bullying me because of the cloth I wore. They told me I was a nerdy girl and I was ugly. I believe that was the start of me feeling insecure and afraid of someone coming up to me and telling me ugly things, if I wore something nerdy. X( it really made me feel so freaking sad and scared, but no one saw it, so there was no one to save me or to tell them to leave me alone. I just walked away, because I didn't know how to fight back, and just grew angry about it. I'm okay now lol : ) but if I were to go back to that moment the best thing to do was to stand up for myself and I think that would have been the best thing ever. If I could go back, I would like to tell them, "I have much more to live for" : ) hehe. I dont' think they would have understand but it would have done me good. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:48 pm
I've been bullied before too. Not physically, but mentally. Everyone made fun of me for being annoying, everyone in elementary school hated me except three people. Just three. And the bullying hasn't ended in middle school. Heck, it's still going on now in high school! I'm annoying and hyper and I get teased for liking anime. It didn't stop in summer camp. Everyone but the counselers hated me. Everyone splashed me in the pool, and spread rumours that I liked this guy that was like, I dunno, 5 years older then me? Being splashed in the pool doesn't seem like a lot, but when you keep crying out, "Stop it!!!" and they keep it up, it is. And people spread another nasty rumour about me that I was going out with this kid I don't even like! As a friend yeah, but not love! It gets sooo freakin annoying! And in my school, people are horrible to this kid that if you click your toungue at him, I think the sound is 3,000 times louder then how we hear it. Or was it 300... Anyway, they just don't stop! And they keep it on and on and on. And he's such a nice kid too. D: I wish people would just get a heart and accept people for who they are. I think this is mainly the reason why i'm shy, afraid to speak out, and non-sociable around everyone that isn't my friend.

I hope my huge rant of doom didn't make anyone fall asleep. D:  

1nsane0takuChan

Booty Popping

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:13 pm
i was bullied, a group of girls and guys....okay all of black population of my old high school, they hated me, they would make fun of me, stalk me, i was threatened i would be killed or maimed, all beacuse i acted like a 'white girl' (personally i was acting like me...crazy >w<) well i stood up to the group in the lunch room and told them off with big words, ah hell that made it worse they called me Brittany the Nerd. because of that i had no social life, no one but the marching band, and the anime junkies hung out with me which was cool, i didn't tell the teachers but they knew. it was a huge school. i told them off again, and then i got beat up in the girl's locker room luckily i moved out of state. i'm in college now expecting to get the same treatment, but i love it, i have friends and a social life. bullying is a problem, a huge one, i was lucky not to have been killed, they were going seriously going to after a pep rally, (i went home with a friend so i wouldn't walk home alone that day.) people these days, i don't understand it, it really grinds my gears > razz  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 am
i think bullies always get what they deserve in the end.
when i was in elementary school, i was bully.
[i'm kinda ashamed to say this now...as i should be]
i used to beat people up for no reason. one time i pushed this kid into a gate and his head started bleeding, but i didn't get in trouble. all the time i used to punch kids and throw chairs at them, and i never got into any trouble. of course, in middle school, this came back to bite me in the butt.
in fifth grade i applied to the smartest middle school in my city, because my k-8 school's middle school had low test grades. i got in. i thought i could just come in there and act cool and beat the crap out of anyone and everyone. but the eighth graders there were even bigger bullies than i was. on the first week of school, there was already a rumor that i wasn't a virgin. then the rumor turned into that i was lesbian, but i had sex with this boy because i was that much of a whore. then another one came out that i was poor, because i wore turtlenecks. [don't even ask me about that logic] kids started tripping me whenever i got off the bus, they threw food at me at lunch, and one time this girl pushed me on the ground, jumped on me, and started rubbing me and telling me that i liked it. i used to go home and cry, until one day i just realized "wtf are you crying for? you used to mess with kids all the time. what goes around comes around" and then i started cursing myself out for being such a b***h when i was younger. when the eighth graders graduated, the bullying finally stopped, which was good, and i also realized how much your actions can affect other people. you can't just pick on people because you think it's funny. i'm in ninth grade now, and i try to be as nice as possible to people, which i guess pays off, because i have tons of really great friends.
i'm really glad that they're buckling down on the bullying in this country because it's a serious problem right now.  

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Nanaremilamina

Timid Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:37 am
It's okay to admit you were a bully, AThousandLullabies. You've changed your ways though. You've learned. c:

I used to be bullied a lot as a small child.
I was subjected to corners by a bunch of girls who I thought were my friends. Literally, I was put in the corner by them. Told to stand there until recess was over or I was going to be punished. I would hear all the kids laugh and play, and I alone in the corner and no one was allowed to talk to me or let me play with them. The teachers were completely unaware of what was going on, because if I told them, I would be "punished even more." I was literally scared, and I couldn't tell anymore-- not even my own family. [My dad was abusive. So I knew if I didn't obey, something really bad would happen. And to this day, no one knows what happened to me, not even my mom knows. It's my dark secret, buried and blocked away.]

I started to not do homework assignments so I could avoid going outside to recess. It was the only way I knew that I could avoid them. My grades went down the drain, my self confidence was lost, I thought the world hated me and I wanted to disappear for the longest time. (And there are still times today were I just want to slip into the void and become nothing. Music really does save lives sometimes.) But the worst of it all? I had no one to rely on. No friends to aid me, just myself.

Or so I thought. Fortunately, a bunch of boys in my class banded together and helped me out of that situation by telling the girls that they needed to leave me alone or they would tell the teacher, even though the girls tried to explain I was being punished for "bad behaviour." Well, they got the girls to stop bullying me, and I was able to play like the rest of kids. But it was too late for me. It was major psychological damage: I can't trust people so much anymore, and I'm afraid to love people for fear of being hurt. I put everyone at arm's length, even some of my family, but I won't tell them why.

oheyitsanedit (because I had class and was busy): I would never wish bullying upon anyone-- even if they are a horrible person. No one deserves to put down like that. It's a horrible experience, and extremely hard to recover from. 8C

I abhor bullying, but if the teacher isn't picking up on it, why should they be punished? Kids won't listen, as another user said. And kids won't tell other because of the fear of getting hurt even more so by their bullies/peers. 8(

Once bullied -- forever tormented. It's personal experience. I was bullied up until I was sophomore in high school, but I can easily tell you my elementary days were the worst. It's not easy being only 8 or 9 years old and having some sort of social awkwardness.

While I am glad that they are cracking down on the bullying, I wish they would also focus on prevention of bullying programs/programs for the bullied too.

Unfortunately, it took six major suicides in one year for people to notice the severity of the problem.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 am

Wow, after reading all of you guys' stories, I feel bad that I've never really been bullied.

I mean, the only thing that's happened to me that could be considered bullying is one girl in the third grade calling me ugly, and my sixth grade science teacher implying I was stupid. And all they got from me was an eyeroll and a mean comment behind their backs. It never did anything but bother me for a minute or two, and I just shook it off afterwards.

I never did tolerate what I saw though - if a friend of mine was being bullied I'd try to help.
Not that I was always successful in doing that though. :c

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm lucky to have never been bullied. I just feel sorta bad about being so fortunate while others have had to suffer.

I'm really glad that they're starting to do something about this.

And AThousandLullabies, Nanaremilamina is right; it's okay to admit you were a bully. We've all done things we're ashamed to admit. ^^

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:54 pm
I was bullied too and I wouldn't necessarily say that the schools should be punished for not doing something about it. I mean if they know bullying is going on and they are doing nothing about it, yeah they should be punished, but if its being kept a secret there really isn't anything they can do so they shouldn't be punished for something they didn't know about.

When I was bullied I was afraid to talk, because I didn't want everyone's eyes on me and I didn't know at the time that what they were doing was even bullying. They were just gossiping about me but I thought that it was always like, rumors and stuff. I dunno.

I think children in schools really need to be educated on what bullying is and that they need to report it. I was educated on bullying from like 3rd to 5th grade, but when I came to this school they weren't educating the kids on bullying. Parents also need to be more involved with their children, make sure they know right from wrong, make sure they know what bullying is and that it isn't accepted by anyone including the parent, so the child shouldn't do it at all.

I've done some bullying myself too, I didn't know at the time though that what I was doing was wrong. Now a days I am very regretful for those things I did, sometimes it actually makes me cry and feel horrible because I just can't believe I did that. My mom reminds me though that we all have things we regret, as you guys have said.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
_Gentle Like The Fawn, Fierce Like The Bear, Protective Like The Wolf.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:58 am
Um.
It's the parents' fault.
Blame them, not the teachers.
Their job is to teach
not counsel.
And, not all teachers even notice that stuff.
I think they should be punished for egging it on
(which does happen)
but that's it.

Besides, bullying is part of life.
Once you get out of school it may not be as noticeable
but kids need to learn how to handle it.
I was bullied severely (physically, mentally, socially)
to the point where I was so socially phobic that I was actually mute.
But I think it was part of life's challenges and helped me learn how to treat others and how to better handle bullying "in real life."
If we over-protect kids now (who are more likely pressured to commit suicide by social media, not at-school-bullies) they're just going to kill themselves later anyway...and probably more likely to, since they won't learn how to react positively.
(yeah, I was suicidal, too.)

Honestly, all this stupid pressure put on teachers has crushed my dream to be an educator.
They can't even mention their political (except for bashing communism) or religious affiliation because it will "influence" kids too much and parents freak out -- even though kids are going to be influenced no matter how hard parents try to shelter them.
And, there's a new law that teachers can't ask about the home life of a kid
(in Oregon at least)
Including what happens out of class.

HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON
WHEN MOST HARSH BULLYING TAKES PLACE
OUTSIDE OF CLASS AND ON THE INTERNET, AT HOME.
?!?!
[/rant]

NOTE:
obviously
I don't support bullying.
I'd prefer it not to happen
but it always will, no matter how hard you try to prevent it.
Teachers should do something if they can...
but sometimes kids need to learn to handle things themselves. =/
HOWEVER; if it gets bad enough, to the point of actual depression,
someone needs to step in.
I kind of wish someone was there for me...=(  

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:14 pm
I have to agree with flauterfli, teachers are NOT babysitters. (not what she said that but close lol )

Teachers are there to teach and not be behind students telling them not bully each other... or to behave well or else.

I'm against bullying as you can see by the previous posts I posted. But it's not all the teachers fault. However, I do strongly agree that if they see students bullying someone they should stop it, that's for sure. Some teachers really take teaching by heart, they love to teach, it is their dream to help students learn, but some students just take that and threw it out of the window and pay attention to the drama more than what they can accomplish, and pay less attention to their own ambition and dreams.  
It's A Girl Thing!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff