Tags: National Football League, Football, Pigskin, American, Sports 

Reply The NFL Guild
NFL's new helmet to helmet rule

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NFL new helmet to helmet rule
I love it, hits like those need to be eliminated.
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
I'll miss the hard hits, but the players health needs to come first
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Absolutely hate it. Just let them play football!
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
I just don't care
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am
After an off season of major concussion concerns, and a weekend of several hard hitting plays, the NFL passed a new Helmet to helmet rule which will fine and even suspend players for hard helmet to helmet hits.

The three defenders involved with the hits that helped get this rule passed will not be suspended this time, but will still be hit with a major fine, including Pittsburgh's James Harrison getting hit with a whopping $75,000 fine.

Some players and coaches love the new rule, but many players are opposed and have voiced their opinions against it, including Brian Urlacher who negatively responded that Goodell should just change the league to the NFFL (national flag football league)

So what are your guys opinion on the new rule?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 pm
Good rule bad enforcement, and 10 percent of that Patriot's salary is huge. Last week was a bad week for helmet to helmet and officiating in general, so we will have to see if it has a big impact on the hits.

In reality we should be careful not to punish for results but rather actions, so the Atlanta CB doesn't get fined for what turned out to be a bad hit.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Bored_Hero_55

2,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 pm
I love it when people say that football is all about making the other person hurt more, then this happens 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 pm
just read this on yahoo sports:

James Harrison threatens to quit.....

Interesting that even without the rules, Harrison is a pretty dirty player (in my opinion).

The NFL is BIG business. If the star players keep get taken out due to helmet to helmet hits resulting in concussion, who'll watch the games? or better yet, attend the games? so yeah, there's the money aspect of it, in addition to safety issues.

Business aside, it's a human being in that uniform. I feel that there are ways to play the game in a less dangerous and less reckless way, ie without highlight reel hits (i didn't say "safe", just less dangerous) ...  

diversaurus

KTS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm
You can't change rules in the middle of the season Goodell.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm
diversaurus
just read this on yahoo sports:

James Harrison threatens to quit.....

Interesting that even without the rules, Harrison is a pretty dirty player (in my opinion).

The NFL is BIG business. If the star players keep get taken out due to helmet to helmet hits resulting in concussion, who'll watch the games? or better yet, attend the games? so yeah, there's the money aspect of it, in addition to safety issues.

Business aside, it's a human being in that uniform. I feel that there are ways to play the game in a less dangerous and less reckless way, ie without highlight reel hits (i didn't say "safe", just less dangerous) ...
Yes he is a dirty player but did you see the Massaqua and Cribbs hits. They are legal hits. He is just disappointed in the fine that the League sent him because of his hit. Hell I would be disappointed too with the league if I got sent a fine for 75,000 dollars. The difference here is the players signed a contract so they knew what they were doing.  

KTS

Just A Black Cat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm
Football is football. Football includes hitting and getting hit. Its your problem for wanting to play the game where you can get hurt. But those helmet to helmet hits can hurt and be dangerous, so I'm going to have to agree with this rule. I'll miss the huge hits that can leave a player sitting on the sideline, but I don't think its worth the players having a concussion. Plus I'm pretty sure if your hit hard enough and in the wrong way then you can be paralyzed and possibly killed?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 am
KTS
Yes he is a dirty player but did you see the Massaqua and Cribbs hits. They are legal hits. He is just disappointed in the fine that the League sent him because of his hit. Hell I would be disappointed too with the league if I got sent a fine for 75,000 dollars. The difference here is the players signed a contract so they knew what they were doing.

He led with his helmet twice to hit a receiver in the air. That seems illegal to me, and hell if he was really trying to be a great player he's go for the strip rather than trying to give them concussions.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

KTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:31 am
Saverio C.
KTS

He led with his helmet twice to hit a receiver in the air. That seems illegal to me, and hell if he was really trying to be a great player he's go for the strip rather than trying to give them concussions.

For the first hit.
1. The player was ducking low so he couldn't get hit.
2. He aimed for the shoulder area, but instead got to the head because one of his players already had him down
And for the second hit.
1. It's legal to hit some one in the shoulder area.
2. He was just doing his job
3. Look at the video you could see that this hit is legal.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:44 pm
The same rules on the field were in place before. The NFL is just stepping up and enforcing stricter punishment for those rules. I'm all for big hits, but keep them under the head. And I think it won't really change the game as much as people claim it will...  

Dude-LAP

TheDukeMan70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm
I hope they dont start suspending people like crazy. Roger Goodell is like hitler....and the way hes been acting is going to ensure we dont have a season next year.

Also its a players league, let them play how they want, take a vote. Like theyve all said, nobody is making them play...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:50 pm
even wit this bull honkey rule dunta robinson should have never gotten fined, its been like 2 months and im still pissed about that  

inFAMOUS Scythe

The NFL Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff