10 years back (from a 16-year old's point) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yes? Agree with this?
  Yes
  no.
  viper, you're just wayy too sentimental!
View Results

viper_353

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:58 pm
I just had some thoughts I thought I'd write down here! See if you girls agree!! biggrin
Ten years back we'd look into the future and imagine the exactly perfect life for us...
we woul be 16. And therefore, we would have a boyfriend.
A perfect boyfriend who never argued, who we would be with, but never really needed to love, or hate, or give up anything for.
Cause we were 6, and those things didn't exist to us!
Our locker would be neat, and our school would be colourful, clean and would always smell nice!!
We would always be friends with our best friends, and any drama would be fun like it is in the movies.
We would be in love with the jock, be brilliant and defy petty-minded cheerleaders.
As friends, we would go to the mall and shop with that unlimitted credit card! No one would drink, smoke, do any type of drugs--that would be reserved for the people who would never make it. Those dark faces you just stayed away from in alley places, and never had to know as more than that.
Life would be simple, satisfying and perfect. Nothing less than amazing!

But now we get there, and we discover that it is so much more than what we thought. We didn't make our 'perect boyfriend' benchmark. That unlimitted credit card ran out after oh...about 3 pairs of earrings. We lost some friends along the way to fights and moving. A lot of us were knocked off at bad decisions. We can't say we don't know who's selling, who's buying, and who can't go a day without. -- our conscience won't allow us to write off the years of friendship. But through this we learned that it means so much more. Our time here wasn't just to get through. We had to learn how to make it ourselves, and ended up pulling some people through things they didn't think they could. Those cheerleaders weren't silly. They didn't spend every moment fussing over their manicures, and underneath all the stereotypes they were just regular people, as scared as you. And that jock--he became your best friend in all the world, but it was the nerd next door you always wanted. You learned to love, to live, to appreciate the flaws in life. It wasn't anything like what you'd imagined it to be--but the real world was so much deeper, so much more real.
And I wouldn't trade it for the world. <3  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:15 pm
well said smile  

Cheetahs Wolf

Joojoo Bug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:17 pm
Ah, I miss the days when I saw the world through rose-colored glasses...

Over the years I've become more cynical, more perceptive, just...everything that comes with more experience, I guess.

I'm not unhappy being a teenager. I mean, life is harder, but it's also more rewarding.

When I was 7 I probably thought I'd have had at least my first kiss by now. Not so. xD I'm totally reserved when it comes to that kind of thing. And I'm picky.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:40 am
Joojoo Bug
Ah, I miss the days when I saw the world through rose-colored glasses...

Over the years I've become more cynical, more perceptive, just...everything that comes with more experience, I guess.

I'm not unhappy being a teenager. I mean, life is harder, but it's also more rewarding.

When I was 7 I probably thought I'd have had at least my first kiss by now. Not so. xD I'm totally reserved when it comes to that kind of thing. And I'm picky.

True. Lol, and yes I hvae to say I'm pretty picky when it comes to boys too...but really, I would rather be like this, 16 and not first date, than to have given in too easily and missed out on the guy who's better than them all.  

viper_353

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 pm
Haha. Yess. High school is nothing like the Disney Channel portrays it.

My little cousins think my school life is full of friendly banter, shopping, easy As, and flirting with cute boys -- not hours of homework and studying, total sleep deprivation, job/scholarship-hunting, coming home sore as hell from water polo practice, and trying to find some valuable alone time with my boyfriend -- which, between all the sports and clubs and schoolwork, is sadly a rarity. And, surprise surprise, my boyfriend is a very bright and caring tri-athlete jock who's obsessed with Halo and (though he won't admit it) likes to watch sappy chick flicks. Not to mention that my best friends have straight As and take all AP classes yet aren't social rejects. (some of them being not stupid cheerleaders!!) Oh, and those band geeks? Yeah, most of us do actually have a life and seriously detest those dorky marching uniforms.

As a senior I've come to realize that high school and all its stereotypes aren't so black and white as Hannah Montana and High School Musical ("stick to the status quot")make it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:09 pm
I'm not even angry; I'm being so sincere right now
Even though you broke my heart and killed me

Ah, life ten years ago? It's sad to say, but I never had those those thoughts you had. sweatdrop
I'm nineteen, almost twenty, so I would have been nine, almost ten years of age then.

And tore me to pieces and threw every piece into a fire
As they burned, it hurt because I was so happy for you!

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

Satil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 pm
I'm 26 and I can safely say that at 6 boyfriends and high school never even entered my mind. That was some far off "adult" world and it was very foreign and distant from my own.

Maybe this is a generational gap thing, but stuff like that honestly never crossed my mind that young.

10 years ago for me was 16. I'm living the life I expected to. I didn't expect to still be a student by now, but I did that to myself for getting a Master's in something "safe" rather than what I really wanted. So now I'm back in the saddle. But I am married to a wonderful man, I am happy, and we are trying for our first child.

The world is much simpler than I imagined it to be at 16. That petty s**t really doesn't matter, and life does go on after 21. And I prefer it that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 am
Yes, the world is much more complex and darker than I thought it was when I was younger.

I agree with most of you OP except for being a cheerleader, credit card, and jock part. ^^;

lovely_sidney

Sweet Sex Symbol

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:42 am
Ten years back I was 12 and I expected the future to be much worse than it turned out to be.

Surprisingly life turned out to be quite awesome.

I agree with Satil about life being simpler than you might expect.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:16 pm
Satil
I'm living the life I expected to.
Satil
... but I did that to myself for getting a Master's in something "safe" rather than what I really wanted.
Wait - you expected to do something other than what you wanted? I'm confuzzled.  

katsumii

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 pm
katsumii
Satil
I'm living the life I expected to.
Satil
... but I did that to myself for getting a Master's in something "safe" rather than what I really wanted.
Wait - you expected to do something other than what you wanted? I'm confuzzled.

I think that that's what she's saying.
Some people don't expect to do what they want to do. I want to be an actress, but I don't expect that I'm going to be one professionally.

Anyways, 10 years back, I don't remember too well. But, I have realized at a young age that, when you get older, the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 pm
Really quite true... although I've never been into the cheerleading scene. xd  

MightyWonderWoman

5,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kittensaurex

Sparkly Smoker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:38 am
I'm so glad I didn't commit suicide when I was 16... I would have never met the man of my dreams and he would be one sad, lonely guy. ; u ; Don't ever give up!!!

I'm still following my dream as a writer (rewriting all my stories again haha) annnnnnnd my art has gotten SO much better. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:23 am
HOW THE HELL DID YOU LEARN MY LIFE STORY?!?!?!?!?!  

Denkou Soshiatae

Regina Cordium

Friendly Mage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:50 pm
That's true; we thought our lives would be totally perfect when we were little. Oh, how the future can change.

It's A Girl Thing!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff