Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:05 pm
This is a private RP between Pandora Talie's Keeper Nostalion and LydaLynn's Lihi Xiang.
User Image

User Image

Its a cool summer day. A pleasant breeze carries the scent of flowers across the grove.
Nostalion heaves a huge sigh as he surveys his domain. Some of the leaves are changing. Fall is coming and although the day is beautiful, like most, this time of year, he has a saddening feeling that soon his beautiful grove will be decaying. He really did enjoy smelling the flowers.
"Silly old fella; it's all part of the circle of life..." he said to no one in particular.
With all the creatures that surrounded him each and everyday he did find it lonely. Maybe it was his ears that kept others of his kind at bay. He smiled and shook his head at the thought. They did come in handy no matter what he or anyone thought of them.
Nostalion's ears twitched as a small pleading sound was heard in the distance. "Grand old ears, you haven't failed me yet." He cleared his throat, flicked his fawny tail and galloped towards the sound.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:37 am
User Image

Lihi sighs, "You said other trees had apples. Here are other trees, Speck, but I find these apples are not to be compared with oranges." The mare was crunching a few dried red leaves.

The little bird flitters by her head, "That is not an apple, it is a leaf."

"It is red, you said apples are red. And we have been traveling for days without good food or water, with stange noises in the night so that we do not sleep. If these are not apples I begin to think you have told me a tale and there is no thing as good as an orange!". She lightly stamps a hoof. She doesn't seem to notice the sound of the approaching stallion.

Speckastein, however, does, and brandishes his little bone splinter in what he thinks is a threatening manner. "Brigands!" His little voice calls out.

"Brigands, always brigands! Is it another menacing bunny . . ." She stops speaking as she sees the aproaching stallion. "Oh. Ah, hello. You wouldn't happen to know about apples would you?"  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:12 pm
Nostalion’s mind races: who or what is in distress? It’s probably nothing, he thinks to himself. It’s usually nothing; I’m worrying myself about nothing! He begins to feel sick, it wasn't nothing when that skinwalker took my mother from me. The bile rises in his throat as he thunders forward. He lowers his head and bursts through a dense thicket.

Nostalion shakes his head and abruptly slides to a stop, kicking up clods of earth, almost colliding with an unfamiliar mare muttering something about apples.

“Apples?” He exclaims, hesitating momentarily, he cautiously surveys his new company. “Nevermind that; did you not hear a cry for help?”

He circles around the area, tipping his head from side to side and flexing his ears, searching for the sound. “Hmm.” He looks around with a worried expression, trying to ignore the very distracting humming bird flitting about.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:57 pm
Pandora Talie

"Oh! Ah, well . . . I was complaining . . . A bit. I might have said something that sounded like 'Glades help me'? I mean. I didn't think anyone would come running but I'm so very hungry and thirsty and Spec said . . . Spec, stop trying to poke the nice stallion . . . Spec said there were trees that made fruit that wasn't oranges. I really like oranges, but he said apples were just as good only different. And I've been looking for days and all the trees seem to make is leaves and rocks."

The hummingbird moved back a bit when Lihi asked, but he kept a wary eye on the stranger, sure he could protect his friend.  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:53 pm
A rustling of birds in a nearby tree startles Nostalion, he whips his head back to see if there is danger. It is plain to see that he is more than a little bit unsettled. He brings his attention back to the mare and her small companion.

“I’m sorry lass, I should have seen if you were the one in distress.” He is embarrassed to have appeared so anxious. So weak. He is a defender and has to look strong. Be strong.

He puts on his best smile, “I am called Nostalion,” He pauses, “ I consider myself the keeper of the grove you have ventured into.”

“You asked about apples?” Nostalion almost laughs, “We have those in abundance! If you like, I can show you.”

He turns and starts to trot in the opposite direction, “a couple apples would be nice right now.”

LydaLynn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 pm
Pandora Talie

"I am Lihi Xiang, but most just call me Lihi, and that is very kind, thank you." She starts following without hesitation.

The small hummingbird puts himself in front of her, "This is dangerous! You do not know this brigand. He could eat you!"

She gives the bird a small laugh, "This is my friend, Speckastein. He thinks everything is dangerous. Come now, Speck, Nostalion is being very nice, won't you tell him hello?"

Adjusting his grip on the bone splinter, the tiny bird glowers at the stallion, "He is luring you in. He will surely eat you! See those ears? They're a sure sign of danger!"

Her voice a harsh whisper, "Speck! You stop being rude right now!". Turning to Nostalion, "I'm so sorry. He's really very nice once he gets to know you. Don't mind him, I think your ears are quite lovely."  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:50 pm
With a forced chuckle, Nostalion replies, “Thank you, they were a gift from my mother. It will be ok, little bird, I’ll try not to eat you or your master.”

The big male presses back through the brush, the way he entered. “What sort of apples are you looking for?” He pauses for a moment, “the red ones will take us east of here.” He gestures to his right. “and the green ones are to the south.”

He climbs over some thick, exposed roots, underneath a unusually massive oak tree. “I can see that you are not from around here; what land do you hail from?” Nostalion holds back a branch to help her get through a fresh dense section of undergrowth.

Nostalion stops; a wide shallow stream slices through the grove. A gentle breeze coming from the north carries the sweetest scent of ripe apples.

“There are many apple trees in Big Oak Grove, near the Western River; but, my favorite are the gold ones, north west of here.” Saliva almost escapes his mouth at the thought of a big yellow crunchy apple, “they are literally the finest apples in this land. Many travel great distances just for a taste. You will not be disappointed.”

LydaLynn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:41 pm
Pandora Talie
Sorry for the delay, I seem to have lost this rp at some point and just remembered to hunt it down and reply.

"Then I should have those, I think. I have never had an apple so I do not know what kind to look for. I have traveled from the south for Speck told me apples are as good as oranges, but different. Are they really different colors or is that just how they are called? The oranges of my orcard are all a very lovely orange color, though I've seen some that are more yellow or green, the still mostly are orange. I honestly was beginning to think Speck had made up the story of oranges, we have been rather a few days without much more than grass and I think we've become rather lost. I am rather grateful you found us."

Speckastein mostly huffs and rolls his eyes as he buzzes along with them, deciding he won't be able to make Lihi see sense.

"I do miss the oranges, the air smells much different here and it's rather cold. Actually, it's been cold for a few days of travel. It seems you are having a harsh winter, and early for winter. If you have frost and your orchards suffer, you would be welcome to visit our grove for oranges, well . . . If I can find it again. I think I can anyway."

She seems relaxed and happy to chatter along, clearly having easily accepted him as a friend.  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:49 pm
LydaLynn

Bubbling clear water ebbs and flows, baffling about Nostalion’s hooves as he wades across a shallow section of the stream. He stops midway and takes a sip, the cool water is quite refreshing.

“Apple trees, like horses, come in several different breeds, that I know of.” He explains, “sweet golden and red, sour green, and small bitter ones. Even before the fruit develops on the branch, if you examine the tree carefully you will notice subtle differences in the leaves, bark, and smell of them.”

Nostalion adds, “and each individual tree produces slightly different fruit. No two ones are identical.”

Exiting the water, he shakes himself dry. “Thankfully we haven't had frost yet and hopefully we won’t see it for another moon. This actually isn’t unusually cold for our region. Frost would spoil the apples just as quickly as those oranges of which you speak.”  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:21 am
Pandora Talie

"This is what it is supposed to be like here? But it's so cold!". She shakes, mane and fur, at the thought. "And you expect frost in a moon? We only get frost once every few years if the winter is bad. How do you survive here? Oh, the poor birds! And the chipmunks!"

Lihi looks aroind, as if there was something she should find to do to 'save' the creatures of the forest. Then she notices how calm he is about it. "I don't understand. How can you grow fruit, have animals, where it gets so cold. When a frost comes in my grove, I gather discarded leaves to pile around nests, I breath warmth on tender growth, get out stores of nuts and dried berries to share. Surely there is something you do here for your grove?"  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:13 pm
LydaLynn

Nostalion trots along the edge of the gradually widening stream. A static hiss can be heard in the distance as they close in on the waterfall.

“From what I can gather, the further you go North or South, the colder it gets. But life native to an area has its own special way of enduring.”

Every now and then, a guest will wander into Nostalion’s grove and, being as cautious as he is, he makes a point of approaching each and every interloper he discovers. Over the years, he’s actually met quite a few Soquili, and although he never ventures far from his home, he fancies himself quite learned.

“I guess the plants and animals around here are just hardier than those where you come from.” Nostalion chuckles.

“Actually, I guess if you took some of the cold weather creatures from here to your homeland they might not survive either.”

He leads the way around a dense copse of trees and through another briar. Lush green growth fills every inch of arable land and many of the trees are heavily laden with plump red apples.

“These are pretty good, for red apples,” Nostalion gestures at the red fruit. “But don’t fill up on them, the golden ones are just ahead.”

The air is humid and full of sound as the waterfall is quite close, now, and he has to raise his voice to be clearly heard.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:39 am
"Oh! It's like a big berry! The skin is so smooth and shiny and . . . " she stretches her neck to sniff. "Mmm, it smells good." She looks to Nostalion, "are you not going to have any?"

Looking back at the apple, it's clear she wants to try it, but she waits for him. She shakes her head slightly at the background roar of the waterfall. But looks to him again.

Then she stills, really looking. "Nostalion . . . " she takes a deep breath and closes her mouth again with a slight shake of her head. "Would you show me the apples you would like to share with me?"  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:00 pm
LydaLynn

“They share qualities with berries, yes, and most do find these quite palatable. However, we’re very close to my favorite kind, now, so, I think I’ll wait.” Nostalion casually examines the tree.

“Try one! It’s possible that you may even prefer the red ones.” Rising up on his hind legs, he gently taps a low hanging branch with an antler causing a plump red apple to drop. Deftly, he catches the piece of fruit.

“Your little friend might even find a worm in one.” He chuckles. “That’s if he likes them.” He turns the apple over on some clean leaves. “But don’t let that discourage you from trying one, just look for a hole. No hole, no worm!” He offers it to the mare.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:36 pm
Pandora Talie

"Worm?" Her skin shudders as if discouraging a fly at the thought. But she lets his explanation assure her. Making sure there are no holes, Lihi looks up at Nostalion once more before taking a dainty bite.

Eyes widening at the crunch, "oh!" She crunches for a moment, really tasting it before swallowing. "It's crisp and solid and kind of tart and sweet at the same time. And it really isn't anything like an orange. But . . . I do like it."

Taking another, larger bite, her face shining with innocent wonder, she looks to Nos again. "And there are other apples that are better than this?"  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Pandora Talie
Crew

Shy Kitten

16,175 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:50 pm
LydaLynn

Still chuckling, Nostalion nods, “Of course, the golden ones are the very best.” He starts to move again, brimming from ear to ear, “They’re sweeter and have a different, superior flavour.”

A few short feet further, the trees open up to reveal the waterfall. Frothy white water cascades down a rocky, moss-covered cliff, from a shallow river, 50 feet or so above. The air shimmers, catching shafts of sunlight, above a small pool that has formed at the base of the falls and all around grow tall, green trees, loaded with dew-covered, almond-shaped, golden apples.

“And we’re here!” Nostalion leads them along the edge of the water, stopping in front of a massive, ancient tree. Its thick, gnarled roots wrap around a mound of stone; its lowest branches are a good 10 feet up in the air.

He backs up a couple steps. “I’ll be just a moment.” With a sudden burst of speed, he dashes forward, leaping from rock to rock, until he’s perched on an outcrop close to full branch.

"Look out below!" He shakes the branch and a dozen or so golden orbs drop into the pool of water.  
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff