Welcome to Gaia! ::

Official +Anima Guild

Back to Guilds

Love the +Anima manga series? Then join the Official +Anima Fan Guild. 

Tags: +Anima, Cooro, Husky, Senri, Nana 

Reply Official +Anima Guild
Nui! ~ All +Anima fans please read this!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Coridae

Single Misfit

13,425 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 pm
User Image

To all of you +Anima fans, I have big news for you! Natsumi Mukai, creator of +Anima, has done it again. She has created yet another manga series titled Nui!

Here is the full description of the series:

The plot centers around Kaya and her three stuffed animals: Purple, Gray, and Aqua. Because Kaya loves and cares for her stuffed animals so much they are able to have souls, as long as Kaya keeps loving them their souls will be allowed to live on. As the legend goes, if a stuffed animal experiences a 'High Emotional Moment' they can then do a 'Human Transform' in which they are able to become human for a short period of time. As Kaya and her stuffed animals go on adventures they meet other stuffed animals and their owners. Finding out along the way that although some are nice, there are others who are not so kind, meaning Purple, Gray and Aqua are frequently forced to protect Kaya whilst struggling to keep their secret identities hidden from the rest of the world.

Characters and descriptions:

Kaya Yamase
A girl who just turned sixteen and has discovered her dolls are alive. When she was little she found Purple abandoned on a dirt floor. Assuming that he was "dead" she buried him until an elderly women claimed that in doing so, the doll would curse her. Apologizing to the doll, she later took Purple in as her first stuffed animal. She has black hair that is tied back and blue eyes.

Purple
Kaya's first stuffed animal. Because he has been with Kaya much longer than the other two stuffed animals Kaya owns, he often shows more determination to protect Kaya from dangers. He is depicted as a cotton purple doll with long, spotted ears and tail. In his human form, he has pale hair and eyes and his spotted ears turn into a cap.

Gray
Another one of Kaya's dolls, he seems to be a wool-made, gray dog. He is very loyal and was made by Kaya's mother. In human form, he has shaggy black hair, dog ears, and a collar around his neck.

Aqua
A blue polyester fish stuffed animal that belongs to Kaya, he was bought at an aquarium. He often longs to swim in the ocean (he can't or else he will get wet) and succeeds in one chapter when he is sealed in a plastic bag. In his human form he has long, pale hair and a fish necklace.

Pink
A pink Pegasus girl stuffed animal made by Kaya. She came alive the time she was born when Kaya had developed feelings for Shinri Harihara. She is the only girl stuffed animal and has a sweet demeanor.

Tetsu Tsuchida
Tetsu is a schoolmate of Kaya and lives and works at a craft shop. He likes Kaya and wants to be friends with her, but he is too timid to approach her at first.

Shinri Harihara
He creates stuffed animals and knows that they have a soul when their creator loves them. Shinri is nice to Kaya, but he wants Purple to be eliminated. He dropped out of middle school to make stuffed animals.

Bianca/Nera
Both the same stuffed animal, he lives with Shinri. When Bianca (in white) turns black, his personality turns aggressive. He has wings and as such is able to fly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three volumes in total, but there is some bad news about this manga...

NUI! volumes were published in the USA by Broccoli Books for a time. But due to the fact that Broccoli Books USA shut down it is no longer available in the English language. NUI! has yet to be picked up by another US publisher.

The first book was released in English and it can be bought at pretty much any book store. The second two sadly did not have the chance. I have, tho, found a website where you can reserve a copy of the second book for when it does come out, which I hope is very soon.

To anyone who would like the read the first book, you can read it on Mangafox.com. I have a direct link to it located HERE.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:00 pm
User Image

I have also taken the time to write a review of this series to anyone who is interested in reading my opinion on Nui! I have only been able to read the first book so far, but I am looking forward to the other three being released.

Okay, so the only reason I wound up picking this up was because it was done by Natsumi Mukai, who also does +Anima, a really under-appreciated cute and fun-to-read fantasy title. Part of me wants to believe I never would have picked up a series about a little girl’s stuffed animals coming to life otherwise. The other part of me enjoyed this far more than should be possible.

So yes, so far, this is a really great all ages title, much like +Anima. I would have died to be able to read this at the age of 8 or 10, especially since I was always afraid of getting rid of my toys for fear of them being sad or betrayed (which is why it’s probably a good thing I didn’t read this or see Toy Story until I was a little older). I was kind of surprised that the main character was a 16-year-old girl, but that sets things up right away for romantic possibilities, which thus far have been a boy who the main character shot down and now watches over her from afar.

So, Kaya, the main character, she has three stuffed animals that she treasures. Her friends at school make fun of her for liking them so much, but this doesn’t stop her from talking to them and sleeping with them at night, etc. The three stuffed animals all come to life because of all the love she’s given them over the years, and in the first few chapters, they do things like save Kaya from stalkers and hang out at the beach. For whatever reason, if Kaya wishes it or is in enough trouble, the animals also turn into cute teenage boys. One of the animals, Purple, seems to have a little crush on Kaya too, and he winds up following her around and getting into trouble, etc.

There’s also a plot involving a famous… stuffed animal maker who seems to be after Kaya and/or Purple for some reason. This reminds me a lot of Shinshoku Kiss, except it’s a lot funnier to call someone a well-respected stuffed animal maker.

Premise aside, I was totally won over while reading it. It really is just as charming and fun-to-read as +Anima, which made me very happy. Everything is very, VERY cute, and while the characters aren’t yet quite as fun as the ones in +Anima, I’ve found myself liking all three of Kaya’s stuffed animals so far, and… well, while I’m not sure how things will go with the stuffed animal maker going after Kaya, I’m pretty sure it will be a great ride. I’m also always very satisfied when I find manga that I enjoy reading that would be great for kids too, and this is another series for that pile.

Coridae

Single Misfit

13,425 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200

dreamconjurer

7,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:53 pm
This sounds so cute, I can't wait to read it. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:32 pm
heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart

Saw this post - Read first 3 chapters on Mangafox - Loved it - Found gift card credit card thing with $6 left on it - Ordered volume 1 from amazon. LOVELOVELOVE

Why can't my stuffed animals come to life D:

heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Dreaming Serenede

5,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:52 pm
I have already read part of it. It's pretty good so far! ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:27 pm
WOOO~~ It arrived on the 20th in the mail!!! I was so excited!! biggrin

heart heart heart heart heart

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Ladd Frand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:14 pm
Thank you so much! It sounds very interesting. I'll recommend it to my friends. :3  
Official +Anima Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games